Adler Barbour Replacement Electronic Modules

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In preparation for a month plus long trip up the coast from San Francisco to our new home in Cowichan Bay, BC on Vancouver Island, we got to the boat last Thursday night, July 28th, 2016, at 2100. What a week.

We left the boat and The Bay Area in late June. Except for a little dirt up top, all seemed fine, and we loaded the milk and butter we got for the next morning’s breakfast into the fridge and turned in.

Next morning, no working fridge!!! The batteries were fine, having sat for a month with the solar panel and a new controller, battery voltage was 12.85V.

I spent a couple of days doing diagnostics, confirming the fan worked, not being able to confirm that the compressor was OK since sometimes we’d blow a fuse, other times not. Traced it down to the control module. 30 year old, hard to find part. Of course, it was a WEEKEND! First thing on Monday, I got on the phone and spent the morning going thru Fisheries Supply in Seattle, who had me call Dometic in Florida who told me their module was $815 !!! but that folks have been telling them they found them on the internet for $200 !!!

I finally found RParts in, of all places, Santa Cruz, just down the coast from us here.

Rparts link: http://www.rparts.com/product_info....ucts_id=556&osCsid=cq9epffmmvd27noi7jh0gkkqr4

Actually talked to a wonderful lady named Donna who, instead of fobbing me off, actually spent the time to confirm that the part would work with their technician. $265 including s/h and tax. It was supposed to get here Wednesday, since I explained to Donna just what the issue was. I could have driven down and picked it up, but that would have wasted an entire day and we had lotsa boat chores to do in the meantime.

Instead of just waiting around, we got the port cockpit locker all cleaned out and cleaned up, bought some additional plastic storage boxes. Started the ruthless cleaning up of the boat down below. Might finally have room for all the food and water bottles we intend to buy. I don't think food will be the real issue, I want to stock up with heavy stuff like liquids so I don't have to haul that heavy stuff when we're harbor hopping.

The module got here on Tuesday, a day early !!!! so I spent the afternoon figuring out the changes to the wiring, drawing a diagram (of course) and getting wire connectors for the teeny wires from the fridge (ICD telephone connectors).

Spent Wednesday morning putting it all together, using YouTube to find out how to access the four pin plug on the side of the compressor.
Those are the diagnostics I actually did.

When she started up, I did NOT experience that BIG bounce of spiking current on our nav station analog ammeter that I’d been seeing for many years, either. That's one of those symptoms that a good friend and I have been discussing in our recurring Fridge Follies saga over the years. My conclusion is that the old module has been slowly failing for years. It also gives me a lot more faith in my boat's entire electrical system, 'cuz that spike caused by the old module had been stopping the fridge from cycling when the house bank was only at 12.4 or 12.5V, then it was the module, not the electrical system.

Bookmark Rparts, great folks.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks, woodster. I did all of the detective work before I saw the video, using just the written material I'd saved on my laptop over the years. I only found the video when I was looking for how to access the 4-pin module. That's why they invented Google!!! :)

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I hate to rain on your parade...
Last year I replaced the control on our old Adler Barbor Cold Machine. Within two months the new conrol module suffered a melt down. The supplied fuse did not trip, but all the plastic around the fuse holder melted. The controller never worked again. I tried to contact rparts several times by phone and by e-mail but never succeded in getting through to them. Rather than spend another $200 plus for a replacement controller we opted to replace the refrigeration with a newer Isotherm unit. Much smaller physically, and uses much less power. I hope your results vary.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Good work but the occurrence just goes to confirm and expand Murphys Law ; "that whatever can go wrong will go wrong at the least convenient time". Hope you have better luck than Sailor Sue and I would suggest taking preemptive action by replacing the fuse holder and fuse with a trusted quality and properly sized one. How can you leave the Bay after all these years?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
That was a good find for the module at RParts.com, Stu. Another good source for info on trouble shooting the older AD Cold Machines is this site: http://www.kollmann-marine.com. After speaking with Mr Kollman, I sent him my old module for a bench check. He confirmed that it was bad and sent me a new Frigaboat module. Very reasonable cost.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
The 4 pin controler must have been for a danfoss bd 25 compressor there is a lot of info on YouTube on those units good tough compressors and really efficient run on R12 refrigerant might want to put your hands on a 12 oz can and supply gauge before they disappear . I have the bd35 and bought the ac dc unit

Feb 26, 2004
I hate to rain on your parade...
No issues here, thanks for the warning.

What's mssing, though, is SPECIFICALLY what you did buy. Care to share?

Was it the 4 pin ELTA unit?

Thanks for the warning. Benny, I'll fuse it new and separately. Thanks.

How can you leave the Bay after all these years?
My father-in-law is 95 years old, and needs assistance. We're his best bet. Thanks for the question. Jackdaw sent me a pm saying we're leaving one of the best for another of the best cruising grounds. Can't argue. :)
Another good source for info on trouble shooting the older AD Cold Machines is this site:
I've been quoting Kollmann for years. Those who know me know I have been. I wrote him on Monday, haven't heard squat. Nada, zip, zilch. If you have TIME, and we don't, maybe. If I was doing a two week local cruise, maybe I'd deal with just ice. I even contemplated that for this LOOONG trip. Glad I didn't have to, and glad Richard maintains his excellent reputation and great website. Personally, I found his "service" lacking for MY particular issues. Hence, this post to begin with.
The 4 pin controler must have been for a danfoss bd 25 compressor
Yes, you nailed it.
An idea: when those of you with OLD units are down in the deepest recesses of you fridge units, TAKE PICTURES. I did, years ago, and they came in very handy to know just what unit I have.

It's like retirement: go to Europe when you're in your 40s, don't wait for your 70s!
run on R12 refrigerant
We're so old that yes we use R12. Never a need for a recharge, the evap is fine, and now we know the compressor is good, too.

Thanks to all of you.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
An LTA part, number E1206 or rpart number 010 1150. 4 pin connector. The 15 volt fuse holder melted and distorted but the fuse didn't trip.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Once again you prove that "Necessity is the mother of invention". Nice find of the part you needed. Big trip ahead. Stay safe out on the open seas.

You planning a harbor hop or a 100 plus nm out cruise up the coast. If going this week you might find some helping currents out beyond the shelf.

Stay I touch. If your overnighting in Astoria and I'm in state would love to see that boat of yours. I'm spending several weeks up in the Everett area this month.

Feb 26, 2004
An LTA part, number E1206 or rpart number 010 1150. 4 pin connector. The 15 volt fuse holder melted and distorted but the fuse didn't trip.
Many, many thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. Will take precautions.

a harbor hop
ala George Benson. Foot on the coast.

Thanks for the thoughts. Once inside, Ilwaco is as far as we plan. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Stu;
Safe travels! Never sailed that beautiful stretch of coast, but a boy can dream. It would be great to read about your travels...with pictures!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Stu,
Hope you're enjoying your trip. A timely post if you are still checking this forum. Something tells me you are. My 21yo frig, Adler Barbour, doesn't cool down at all. It was last season but after researching I've come to the conclusion it is low on Freon.I emailed them with the serial # and they believe it is using R12 refrigerant. I was going to charge it myself but am unable to actually put my hands on any. Ebay is loaded with so called equivalents but I don't trust them. Looks like an R134 blend of some sort. Anyone out there come across a fix?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
The fan works and I can hear the compressor kicking in so my guess is the refrigerant.