Adjust the down Tiller Height upwards - tiller stop bushing

Jul 31, 2017
Hunter 26 TBD
So I am a new owner of a Hunter 26 that has the aluminum tiller handle. It may be a replacement as the handle angle is slightly off / twisted and the replacement aluminum handles require drilling.

Anyways, if I have 4+ people in the cockpit I cannot freely steer without hitting people in the thigh with the tiller. It also makes me hunch over heavily to hold it like my arm must be on my knee. Part of me was thinking to shorten the tiller length, but this would sacrifice leverage that could be needed in heavy weather conditions, and I don't want the boat to be less safe.

So my newer thought is adjusting up the tiller's lowest height by either swapping out the Tiller Stop Bushing with a larger custom made one out of HDPE, or afixing something under the current bushing out of HDPE. It would be great to get a larger steering range without hitting passengers and getting my hand awfully far into their laps.

Has anyone done a mod like this? And anyone interested in such a mod?

I also plan on replacing the missing tiller extension which will alleviate part of the problem, but i still don't want to hit my guests in the legs with the tiller. Thanks

Here is the parts page for reference to the tiller stop bushing
https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=26&c=3&p=54823

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
There is an adjustable screw at the back of the tiller that governs its elevation. Remove it, put a handful of ss washers on it and put it back. Good to go.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I made a larger bushing. Thinking I could have made it even a little larger

Jan 19, 2010
I used a piece of PVC pipe and filled it with resin, then drilled it out. You could use different diameter pipe to get the height you want for your down tiller

Jan 19, 2010
Actually that is exactly why I made mine larger. My old bushing started to fall apart and my tiller got past the bushing and was locked in a VERY down position just when I needed to come about.