Adding Windlass to O'day 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Oday 35 Annapolis, MD
Has anyone installed a windlass and/or a second bow anchor roller to an O'day 35 or similar. There is the anchor locker that pretty much takes up the bow deck area. I am thinking of installing this in the locker itself. Any thoughts?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Cruiser Dave,
I've considered adding a windlass to our O 34 and also thought about putting it in the anchor locker. Since I don't have any experience with using a windlass, I don't know what is necessary. I think we would have to know (1) whether the bottom of the anchor locker would be strong enough to steady the windlass under load; (2)could the rope/chain go down to the locker under the anchor locker; (3) would the electric output of the engine be adequate for the windlass? Have you researched any of those questions? I'll be interested in any other responses you get that aren't filled with questions like this one!!!!! Phil

Oct 15, 2008
Oday 35 Annapolis, MD
31seahorse,
I'm a woodworker and have been working on our own boats for most of my life. This will be the largest "structual" project I've tackled. I'm planning to use the Lewmar ProFish 1000. I will be installing, at the minimum, a backing plate under the bottom of the anchor locker. We are trying to decide whether to run the anchor rode (70' of 5/16" chain and 200+' of 9/16" nylon to the bow "locker" under the anchor locker or to run it down under the v-berth to keep the weight lower. We are going to also add a second anchor and are working on how to handle the extra rode and add a second bow roller. As to the power. Properly sized cables (1/0?) will provide to power from the batteries. We are reworking our electrical system and will take the amperage required into account when figuring the house battery bank. We are refitting for a years cruise leaving in June. If you are interested I'll keep you abreast of our progress. Probably won't finish installing until early spring but want to make sure we have the refit properly planned and to keep an eye out for "deals" to keep the cost down.

David

PS I have seen this down on one other boat, not an O'day. Experienced boater with many trips to the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
I installed a windlass on our O'Day 35. Drawings and comment/directions are to be found somewhere among all these forums. I posted it several years ago.

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 37 World's Fair Marina, Flushing, Queens, NYC
I installed a windlass on our O'Day 37. I have seen it installed in the same manner on a 32 CC. I posted photos and discussion on this forum some years ago. Should be possible to find it.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Here's a picture of the 32 that Peter is talking about with a windlass and a bow sprit, note the cut anchor locker hatch and a pic of the boat before the installation.
The 3rd picture is a picture that I believe I found in the archives of this site and its a pretty close to the way my whole setup is

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.