ADDING ROLLER FURLING!

Apr 2, 2020
Cascade 27 Olympia
Hello all! I have to say I am quite impressed with the feedback i got on my last post. I want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight and love the community here. My question is regarding add a roller furling headsail on my 27' Cascade pocket cruiser. Before I start researching this installation from square one does anyone have any advice or insight to point me in the right direction. Brands? Type? Average costs? Difficulty? Pros and cons, etc. I can see the obvious cons with having one as you are adding more moving parts and the potential for failure but being a solo sailor it would be nice to have the ease of use with a roller furling headsail. Thank you all! Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Cas
I am sure you are aware that you will need a new sail to go with the furler.
Figure that into any pricing.
Suggest you start here,

gary

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Roller curlers come in a variety of size shapes and prices. I've installed one, uninstalled one, and will install one this spring. It is easier to install them when the mast is down.

Installation is straight forward, slide the furling drum on to the forestay, slide the foil sections one and connect them. Put the whole thing back on the boat. Every manufacturer will have a slightly different method of connecting the parts and pieces.

Your headsail will need to be modified. The hanks will need to come off and a luff tape installed. If you have a heavy duty industrial sewing machine, like the ones from Sailrite, you can do this your self, otherwise have a sailmaker do the conversion. Depending on the cut of your Genoa, you may or may not need to have the sail recut or have a new one made. If the sail is 135% or smaller, you can probably use the one you have. If you have a 150% you may need a new sail.

On my last boat I installed a Hood Seafurl 5. It was affordable and worked well.

I'm installing a Schaefer 2100 this spring on my current boat. I chose the Schaefer because it is a simple, robust furler and came recommended by the rigger I use. You would want the 1100 for your boat.

Modern roller curlers are pretty reliable and make sailing a lot more convenient and safe.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We have found that a r/f jib makes setting the sail and putting it away after an outing much quicker. Not having to fold the genoa after a sail seems to improve crew attitudes a good deal. When heading out, not having to lug the bag up on deck, spread it out, attach the halyard, rig up the feeder, lead the head into the groove, tie the sheets, and then keep it out of the way of the mooring tackle so we can cast off is much simpler. Singlehanding will be much less work for you if you simply have to unroll the sail, and it will give you more time for actually sailing.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would suggest that you install your furler in a way you can still adjust your forestay turnbuckle without having to drop the sail and partially dissemble the furler. If I were ever to replace the one I have, I'd lose that 8" of hoist in a heartbeat for the added simplicity of adjusting my rig easily.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While furling is like the ease of sliced bread, there is an argument for hanked on sails on smaller boats. The ability to have different sail sets in a relatively low tech fashion. A lighter rig. Etc.

With small boats (less than 30 feet to choose an arbitrary reference point) the size of the foresail is manageable by a solo sailor. The process of folding sails is a time honored experience. Sort of like tucking the children into bed. One learns so much about the care and maintenance of the sail when they have to handle it. You also get to see the problems before they become risks when you remove and fold your sail. Rolling up a furled sail and jumping off the boat sometimes feels like putting the horse in the stall all hot and sweaty after a good ride.

There is more practicality on a 36 plus foot boat with sails that can weigh heavy on a small crew to use the furler as a tool.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Consider an autohelm if you like to single hand often. Then if you stay with hank on headsails or a furler, sailing will be easier. We appreciate the furler because I can handle the boat from the cockpit. It makes no difference what skill level the crew is.
I like my old Hood 810 continuous line furler for one reason only. The thickness of the line is much more comfortable than others. Well 2 reasons really. It is paid for too.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
FWIW..... when we moved up from our Niagara 26 to the Olson 34, the size of the headsails immediately led us to install RF. If we had known how convenient it would we have done this on the prior boat. :) Analogous to having a rod vang on the bigger boat... same epiphany.

Be SURE to put a new headstay under that furler, since that wire will be (literally) out of sight and out of mind.

We went with a Mk 2 Harken in 1995, and last year replaced both furler and stay with a new Harken. Good product, altho there are certainly others that are well-regarded.
While you are focused on the standing rig, be sure to inspect the bow fitting and upper attachment with a magnifier...

Aside: your 'pocket cruiser' is all that and much more. The designer, Robert Smith NA, took hull #1 and won his division in the Swiftsure Race. It is strong enough of offshore use, and generally fast.

Oct 22, 2014
won his division in the Swiftsure Race
Did not know that. That is a terrific accomplishment. Granted he was an accomplished sailor with a complete understanding of his design. But still the competition in the SwiftSure is fierce with a lot of talented sailors involed.

Knowing the time, he likely did it with hanked on sails.

Apr 2, 2020
Cascade 27 Olympia
FWIW..... when we moved up from our Niagara 26 to the Olson 34, the size of the headsails immediately led us to install RF. If we had known how convenient it would we have done this on the prior boat. :) Analogous to having a rod vang on the bigger boat... same epiphany.

Be SURE to put a new headstay under that furler, since that wire will be (literally) out of sight and out of mind.

We went with a Mk 2 Harken in 1995, and last year replaced both furler and stay with a new Harken. Good product, altho there are certainly others that are well-regarded.
While you are focused on the standing rig, be sure to inspect the bow fitting and upper attachment with a magnifier...

Aside: your 'pocket cruiser' is all that and much more. The designer, Robert Smith NA, took hull #1 and won his division in the Swiftsure Race. It is strong enough of offshore use, and generally fast.
Thanks for that reply! Hearing more about the designer and the hull being capable of soundly handling offshore cruising makes me feel good!

Apr 2, 2020
Cascade 27 Olympia
Consider an autohelm if you like to single hand often. Then if you stay with hank on headsails or a furler, sailing will be easier. We appreciate the furler because I can handle the boat from the cockpit. It makes no difference what skill level the crew is.
I like my old Hood 810 continuous line furler for one reason only. The thickness of the line is much more comfortable than others. Well 2 reasons really. It is paid for too.
I would feel like I was on a leisure cruise with that auto pilot. Definitely would like to have one someday. Both wind vane and electronic as I hear each has it's own benefits. When I'm trying to keep the bow pointed into the wind while raising the sails. Gets a little sporty sometimes. Especially as my sails are not easy to raise. Takes quite a bit of force on those halyards to raise them.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Takes quite a bit of force on those halyards to raise them.
I don't think it should be so much that you'd mention it. It might be a good idea to go aloft, or if not your thing, hire a rigger and inspect your masthead sheaves. It sounds as though something is binding up there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I don't think it should be so much that you'd mention it. It might be a good idea to go aloft, or if not your thing, hire a rigger and inspect your masthead sheaves. It sounds as though something is binding up there.
Yep, somethings not right. It could be time for new mast head sheaves, could be tangled halyards in the mast, could be a really dirty mast track. Need to check it out.

Two things happen to sheaves, they get corroded and no longer turn, this causes wear on the halyard and makes it very difficult to raise sails. They can also develop a flat spot on the axle or the hole for the axle goes out of round.

I would feel like I was on a leisure cruise with that auto pilot.
If I had a choice, I'd install an AP before roller furling. RF is really helpful at the beginning and end of a sail and occasionally during a sail when it is necessary to reef. An AP helpful from the time you leave the dock to the time you return. A wheel pilot is easy to install and much less expensive than adding RF.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
If I had a choice, I'd install an AP before roller furling. RF is really helpful at the beginning and end of a sail and occasionally during a sail when it is necessary to reef. An AP helpful from the time you leave the dock to the time you return. A wheel pilot is easy to install and much less expensive than adding RF.
This is a tough choice. A furler can mean it is quicker and easier to get under sail (and put the boat away), which might increase the amount you go sailing. However, once you are sailing, a vane gear or AP is another crew member. One who never tires, talks back, or wants another beer, all really good reasons to have one.
It's almost a coin toss, if you can't do both at once.

Oct 22, 2014
With out auto pilot there is always the TieDown. Lashing the wheel in place, or applying the wheel break while you run to the mast and hoist the sails.

If the sails are not going up and down easily then there is a rigging problem in the mast. The Sheaves, or the halyards may be at fault. Make a list of the things and start working on your check list. It is how we make a boat safe to sail.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have both a RF and AP. I think I could live without the AP more than the RF.... I do appreciate having the AP to steer when I am raising or lowering the main sail, but I don’t mind steering most of the time. Being able to adjust my head sail (130 genoa in my case) certainly makes sailing single handed a lot easier. Choices choices!
Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
To enhance your single handed sail handling experience immediately, at very little cost, I recommend installing a "JIB DOWNHAUL" for your hanked on headsail. On your 27 footer, as I did on mine, you can use a small diameter line.... 1/8 or 5/32 line is sufficient. Install a small block at the stemhead to turn the line aft. Invest in a couple of stanchion mount fairleads...(you'll use them for the furling line when you bite the very expensive bullet if you install RF).. You'll need as small cleat on the cockpit coaming to secure the down haul. Now... most important.... run the line from the cockpit, through the stanchion mounted fairleads, to the stem head block, up to the top HANK.... I use a buntline hitch to tie the line to the hank.... I reiterate... do not tie the downhaul to the headboard next to the halyard shackle. If you do... the top of the sail will fold over because you'll be essentially pulling on the halyard, rather than the sail... Anyhow, the downhaul attaches to the top hank (hope I've made my point)

What you end up with is an efficient way to drop your headsail under control right on the deck... when you cleat the line down it also keeps the sail secure on the foredeck... ready to hoist again in and instant. On my tiller equipped boat I can steer with my knees, straddling the tiller, halyard in one hand and downhaul in the other and bring the sail down gently on deck even while going downwind. You'll love it....

Finally, as the others have mentioned.. an auto pilot, or tiller pilot, is the very best investment you can make for single handing... So rigging up an inexpensive jib downhaul will free up the funds for that more important necessity. Good luck, have fun,.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am not a fan of the roller furler. Boat sails better with a hank on sail and there is less to go wrong. Also, you can see the headstay with a hank for inspection purposes. I have found that dropping the sail on the deck is really no more trouble than rolling it up. Get a sail bag that fits over the headsail while it is still attached to the forestay and you can store it there. Also, it is easier to change sails.