Adding dedicated jibsheet winches to a H310

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
Taking delivery of the boat next week and the first thing I noticed in the cockpit was the boat wanted 2 more winches to sail it easily. Read about adding purchse to the mainsheet and this option is not the best for me. Has anyone added winches? The boat has 2 pads arear of the arch but that looks like an impractical location. My intuition tells me mount them in front of the arch on the step-throughs from cockpit to outer deck. Also would like to know about winch size. Lewmar indicates that 15 or 16 is fine for the sail area. Because of the intrusoin to this space, I would like to err on the side of smaller rather than larger. I believe the jib sheets are only 1/2". Any input or advice is welcome.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The aft pads are likely for spinnaker sheet winches. Locating on the gunnel or cabin top (that is what I have and avoids jib sheets in the cockpit), smaller size and plan for 2 speed self tailing winches.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I think the first thing to understand here is that you are not going into a 40+ ft. racing machine.

The deck layout was designed by Hunter for two winches because you only need two winches for this boat. The H-310 deck plan is attached below. Port and stbrd. each have a Spinlock triple rope clutch plus a camcleat for each jib sheet. The loads on the jib sheets are easily handled by hand initially and then the appropriate winch is used to apply the final tension to the line.

I have had no problems in single handing this boat in some pretty heavy West Coast weather and have not had any problems WHEN planning ahead. When you don't plan ahead, all bets are off regardless of your deck layout.

Seeing as how your H-310 is a used boat, I can think of a lot of other equipment which is going to need upgrading ($$$) if it hasn't already been done yet.

Attachments

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
Wow thanks guys for the input and especially for the factory manual links. There is so much I can learn from them.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
I second Ralph’s comment that two cabin top winches work just fine. I would try it before changing. That being said, I did replace the two lewmars with Andersen 34 2 speed winches and I added 2 more Andersen 34’s for the spinnaker.

Tim