Adding a Forestay

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcel Dionne

I would like to add an inner forestay to my 1989 Catalina 30.This forestay would be removable. My questions are: 1)---are there any strong enough attachment points on the foredeck that will withstand the tension? and 2)-----what can I do ( besides the usual backing plates )to reinforce any existing suitable location? Two POSSIBLY suitable locations MAY be: immediately behind the anchor locker or behind the forward hatch at the bulkhead for the "V" berth. BUT ARE THEY STRONG ENOUGH? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

J

John Visser

Inner forestay

No, those other locations probably won't be strng enough - except perpahs if you put a chainplat on the anhor locker bulchead, assuming its tabbed into the hull. See my comment on htis topic from 3/12 (link below)

S

Steve

Just Curious...

I have a 1985 Cat 30 SR up here on the Colombia River and am curious. Why would you want to add an inner forestay at all? What kind of sailing conditions would require such a modification?

M

Marcel Dionne

To: Just Curious

My wife and I are leaving the Toronto area in August on a two or three year circumnavigation of the Caribbean Sea. The boat is being beefed up and modified accordingly. Aside from having the second forestay for a storm jib, I though it would add power to the boat if it was cutter rigged. What's your opinion? Thanks.

C

C Robb Worthington

another reason

I'd like to do the same thing for the same reasons. Another reason is I would like to have a non rollerfurling setup available for reliability. More options makes me happy. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.