Adding a bowsprit

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@letlmt What to do is all about how your going to sail the boat.

With my Montgomery, I designed the sprit out of a 4ft, 2 inch diameter thick wall aluminum pipe. I has a plate made for the bow with a welded sleeve for the pipe. I built a clamp base on the fore deck to lock down the on deck end of the sprit. THe sprit extended about 1.5 feet off the bow. A tack line went from a block in the end of the sprit to the cockpit. This allowed controls of the tack. Sheets were run from the sail clew to friction less rings on the stern. I ran a halyard up the mast through a block on a Ronstan Mast Hound to raise and lower the sail. I had Elliot & Pattison make me an asymmetrical to the specifications of the boat and sprit.
This was for recreational light wind sailing on lakes, and to see if I could do it on a boat that did not have a design for such a sail. It turned out beautiful. Sailed well single handed. Found it easier to gybe than to tack as I just let the sail go forward and then pulled it in on the other side. I used a tiller clutch to manage the helm while I changed the sail.
Here is the first sail with my bow sprit and spinnaker.
First sail.jpg

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Thank you all for your input. I think this project is going to have to be put on the back burner. I do not have the resources to do the work myself and I think the cost of the sprit, top-down furler, and labor from the boat yard would be well over $4,000. Plus I am not sure that I am willing to make such a dramatic change to my new boat, maybe if the boat were used I would have done it.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Thank you all for your input. I think this project is going to have to be put on the back burner. I do not have the resources to do the work myself and I think the cost of the sprit, top-down furler, and labor from the boat yard would be well over $4,000. Plus I am not sure that I am willing to make such a dramatic change to my new boat, maybe if the boat were used I would have done it.
If you ever decide to go forward PM me and we can talk and I can walk you through. It was nerve racking to drill holes and I was planning this for month with various mock ups made of pvc pipe and plenty of measuring..... the work itself is not so difficult. Getting the placement right is the hard part....

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I built my own folding bowsprit and it worked great for a Code0. I later extended it so I can fly both a Code0 and jib together like a cutter rig. It folds vs retracts and keeps my anchor locker door accessible all the time. This winter I’m covering the S.S. Tubing with a cover for a cleaner look.
39DA2728-A3BC-4F72-AD4D-B702083B3545.jpeg

6D75BB28-6E39-4616-9275-7FDC07588B2C.jpeg

9638ABA0-6F9F-4E41-95D9-D38BA5D15876.jpeg

C2D32EB9-FA8D-4C35-B27C-7D0193F9478E.jpeg

85C09037-C5B6-4EDB-8085-34E9D471E16E.jpeg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thats some hard core fabrication work there Nice job!!
have you found it stable enough side to side without side stays?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I think this project is going to have to be put on the back burner
Something to plan for in the future maybe.
In the meantime you might find a used asymmetrical. Fly it from your bow with a sock. The Sail Warehouse has two packages for your boat at $1000. Good luck!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Something to plan for in the future maybe.
In the meantime you might find a used asymmetrical. Fly it from your bow with a sock. The Sail Warehouse has two packages for your boat at $1000. Good luck!
There's no requirement at all to have a sprit. If you don't even have a kite yet, start there, get a sock. The sprit provides two things, it keeps the kite away from the appliances on the boat and sets the stage for top down. The world won't end without a sprit, and if your weather is anything like ours, having a very large piece of nylon is the difference most days between firing up the engine, or not.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I have an asymmetrical spinnaker with an ATN sock on order with the boat.

I was intrigued by the bowsprit because it would hold up the lazy sheet and allow the sail to project more into the wind. Then I found out about the top down furlers which was really interesting because I will be sailing by myself most of the time. However, in the end it all just became too expensive to warrant without proving the spinnaker and sock method to be unworkable. I am also nervous about making such a drastic change to the boat before even taking delivery of it. If it were offered as a factory option, I would have grabbed it in a second.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Personally I would forget about the lazy sheet thing. With a top down it's actually faster to roll it up, turn, unroll it than to screw around with sheets, main, rudder, and do it without spilling your beer. I got some Marlow line that's a pretty orange and grey colour that weighs absolutely nothing, blew the cordage budget and gets walked around the stick. In zero air, it actually helps the sail stay inflated. Two lengths of it would be the difference between filling the kite or not a lot of the time.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
That is a good point, I should get some super light sheets. I like that

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have been experimenting with Selden's GX-7.5 top-down furler and deck-mounted removable bowsprit.

The bowsprit works very well. I did need to move the bow cleats back about six inches for clearance and to allow the proper support locations. Other bowsprit configurations I explored would not allow sufficient clearance of the bow pulpit.

The other problem I had was that the spinnaker headboard was too stiff and too broad interfering with the top-down furling aspect. I have removed a portion of the headboard but may still have to relocate the spinnaker halyard mast block a few inches higher.

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
I installed a Selden Bow Sprit. I added a Bobstay just for insurance.

Jul 28, 2016
I would agree with a bobstay for a Catalina 30. For a Capri 22, I believe that even the smallest Selden sprit is over-engineered for the loads on a asymmetric spinnaker, and is not needed.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I just finished building a fibreglass cladding over my SS folding bowsprit. It’s a bit unorthodox but she works just fine.
233E029F-76D0-4AF5-A867-C4EEE7FEE1D8.jpeg
4094F24A-3F19-43BA-88BC-30AC86757EAD.jpeg
87EEFA15-9263-43DE-8933-78FC5BA9AE0A.jpeg