Adding a bowsprit

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I was reading some of the older posts and there was a discussion on adding a bowsprit. It seemed like nobody had done it yet. I was wondering if any of you have added a bowsprit, and which ones you added. Were you happy with it?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Been there, made that. Based on the 3" Selden ring, which is larger than my home shop could easily handle, I also crafted a top-down rig for the kite, which after a few mods, works quite elegantly. Was it cheaper than buying one? If you subtract the hours that would other wise be spent building something else, yes.
https://meriachee.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/sprit-city/

Jul 28, 2016
I installed a Selden deck-mounted retractable sprit on my CP-22. I used the smallest size that they offered. I am very pleased with the quality and performance. It is also much less costly than the Trogear, and similar types. I used my boat almost exclusively for racing, and we have really worked it pretty hard, with good results.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guessing you are thinking code 0 or Asymmetrical sail.
Why not a symmetrical spinnaker sail? Likely easier to install and no bowsprit cost or hardware needed?

On the other hand I built a sprit for my Montgomery pocket yacht. Worked great. Especially solo sailing.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Easy enough to build your own. all I wanted/needed for my M25 was a short one, so it's not too intrusive at the dock or when trailering, but the length is up to individual needs. A chunk of aluminum tubing, a block and some home made hardware + a hole saw and courage is all I had to work with. total outlay of about $50.00 plus what I had laying around the shop.
P1050893.jpg
P1050882.jpg

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I was reading some of the older posts and there was a discussion on adding a bowsprit. It seemed like nobody had done it yet. I was wondering if any of you have added a bowsprit, and which ones you added. Were you happy with it?
@letlmt I added a Trogear AS-40 adjustable bowsprit to my CP-22...

Works like a charm....
345CF163-B7F8-46E1-9943-01856B1BE4F3.jpeg

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Did you install it yourself? Why the 40, when the Trogear website says that the 25 is good for boats to 30 feet? They sent me this picture when I asked them for references, I didn't realize that it was your boat.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Jssailem
I am planning on a asymmetric spinnaker, not a code 0. I am under the impression that a bowsprit makes it much easier to use an asymmetric spinnaker because the lazy sheet will not fall in front to the boat if not kept taught.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
RussC
Nice looking bowsprit. Unfortunately I am not ready to cut a big hole in the front of my brand new boat.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I looked at the Selden bowsprit. Doesn't it get in the way? It seems like I would trip over it, whereas the Trogrear is completely out of the way.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The reason for a bowsprit for an asymmetrical spinnaker is that it gives you room for a top down furler which allows for safer inside gybes and easy take downs (furls).

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Everything gets in the way, one way or another. It's about cost vs benefit.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The Selden is retractable. Big help attaching furler. Just step over it.
I wouldn’t trust the flip up Trogear. You’d have to have a very strong bobstay to keep it down. Spinnakers pull hard.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Did you install it yourself? Why the 40, when the Trogear website says that the 25 is good for boats to 30 feet? They sent me this picture when I asked them for references, I didn't realize that it was your boat.
Yes, I posted the process in this forum. I used the AS-40 due to the shape of the bow pulpit protruding far out. I initially had ordered the AS-30 but that did not give me enough clearance for the furler and the furling line to the bow pulpit attached to the spinnaker halyard.......

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
The Selden is retractable. Big help attaching furler. Just step over it.
I wouldn’t trust the flip up Trogear. You’d have to have a very strong bobstay to keep it down. Spinnakers pull hard.
Not a problem so far....

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
RussC
Nice looking bowsprit. Unfortunately I am not ready to cut a big hole in the front of my brand new boat.
It's always unnerving drilling holes in any boat, new or not:wahwah:. The process does put to the test the saying "measure twice, cut once" and I guarantee I measured mine somewhat more than twice before drilling :). holes will need to be drilled no mater how you set up your bow sprit, but my deciding factors were (1) keeping the deck free of trip and snag hazards (2) uncluttered looks (I didn't like the look of the bolt on deck mounted ones) (3) overall strength. the through the bow method should be WAY stronger than the average deck mounted one.
Individual choice for sure, but I've been very happy with my end results, and would likely do it this way again.
P1060099.jpg