Adding a bigger hose around existing to seal odors

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't have any experience with these things, what so ever, but is there any reason the tank needs to be rigid? Would a collapsible rubberized tank that could be pulled through a smaller opening when empty work?

-Will (Dragonfly)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Holding tank bladders are not uncommon, however eventually they stink. Also have to be put in a place that can support all sides when filling / full so it doesn't roll around and get damaged and leak. I'll stick with rigid and strapped in!

efimki

Feb 2, 2020
Beneteau 373 Hull, MA
@NYSail - thanks for suggestion! Yes, my track has a clean out port similar to your picture, but pump out hose is under the tank, so it is not empty.

efimki

Feb 2, 2020
Beneteau 373 Hull, MA
I've made a great progress yesterday!

My friend has noticed that the wall IMG_20200223_144146.jpg with the door is only attached by 3 screws on the right side.

Although they were screwed in from the inside we were able to unscrew them through opening under the sink and behind the mirror, and remove the wall without cutting it.

That required cutting the caulk on top and removing the toilet, but wasn't nearly as difficult as I've dreaded.

Here is the picture of the removed wall: IMG_20200223_145914.jpg

I've replaced two hoses that are attached to the top: IMG_20200223_153835.jpg and have a reasonably good access to the two hoses that are on the bottom:IMG_20200223_145002.jpg .

I'm also considering removing the tank with the bottom hose attached and doing the replacement outside of the boat to avoid risk of spillage.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
congratulations! Yes remove the tank before surgery! In the long run will probably save you time. You have 2 hoses attached to the bottom?? Deck and mascerator pump-outs? That would mean no internal pick-up tube.... If you do have one (pick up tube), check as they are prone to failing. On the 423 they used it for the mascerator pump and when it would give way the pump would not prime.

Good Luck!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Some posters have had great difficulty replacing hoses on the tank barbs. Replacing on the outside could save a lot of trouble and frustration.

efimki

Feb 2, 2020
Beneteau 373 Hull, MA
Sounds good! I found that a heat gun has helped tremendously to remove old hoses, and getting new hoses on was suspiciously easy.

My pictures are a little bit misleading.
I only have one hose attached to the bottom, the second one goes from the toilet to Y-valve.

I've already found out about detaching internal pick-up tube last year after my brand new macerator pump has refused to suck anything. :/
I've re-glued it and it seems to work so far, but is there a better long term fix I can apply with tank removed?

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
@efimki I went and inspected my plumbing aboard today to measure/order replacement hoses, and noticed that most of my sanitation hoses (4 out of 5) are 1.5" diameter, as expected, but the pump-out hose from my tank to the deck fitting is bigger (looks like 2"). Did you have that in your 373? I was going to order all saniflex hose, but don't even see that size as an option online... Wondering if my larger hose was an "upgrade" by the previous owner (I don't think so) or if that's standard (I suspect it is).

efimki

Feb 2, 2020
Beneteau 373 Hull, MA
@ToddS as my hose journey has started with deck pump out being stuck I'm 100% sure that mine is 1.5" as this replacement part did fit perfectly:

Part 129435 DECK FILL WASTE S/S 1.5 HOSE

So far I've replaced 3 out of 4 waste 1.5" hoses, and saniflex was a real joy to deal with in comparison with old hoses.

I'm going to pull the holding tank out to replace the pump out hose:

IMG_20200308_161121.jpg

When you're saying '4 out of 5', are you counting the little 1' hose from the Y-valve to the seacock?

I've also got a smaller vent hose on the top of the tank, but I'm not planning to replace it.
IMG_20200308_161115.jpg

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I have no macerator pump... so your setup and mine differ slightly because of that. My vent hose is identical to the other hoses... 1.5", and yes, I was counting the little section from the "Y" to the through-hull. Ideally I'd like to replace all the hoses at once, but finding a sanitation hose that'll bend easily in a 2"(ish) diameter isn't as easy. I'm going to post separately asking advice on that. Thanks.

efimki

Feb 2, 2020
Beneteau 373 Hull, MA
Interesting.
Are the deck hatches for water, diesel and waste all the same size / type on your boat?
They are on my boat, so if the waste hatch is different on yours, then it has likely been replaced.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Waste and Water are the same (they use a winch handle to open)... they're identical except for a little colored ring that's blue around the water fittings and another color (black if I recall, but not sure) around the waste one... the diesel one is similar but not identical, in that it uses a different key, not the standard 8-point star that the winch handle fits into. I suspect that boats with a factory-installed macerator are plumbed differently than those without... Also, some might be rigged with ability to pump/empty the holding tank overboard while at sea... mine isn't but I used to have a boat which had that.