adding 2nd mainsail reefing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Middleton

I want to add a second mainsail reef to my 1987 Catalina 27. Does anyone know if the track at the end of the boom is long enough to handdle the second reef and accomodate a second sliding block? Where is the best place to buy the sliding block. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Reefing Track

Bob It's hard to answer your question because we don't know how long your particular existing track is. We also don't know where you're putting your second reef clew grommet. I suggest that you measure it yourself on your boat. What you're looking for is to find out if the track goes far enough forward so that when the second reef clew grommet comes down to the boom there is abut a 45 degree angle on the reefing line between the grommet and the block, similar to what you have for your first reef. The blocks are easy to find. Most Catalinas I've seen have Schaefer blocks. Any marine store, or online, will have them, just match the same block you already have with the built in horn to hang the second reef line on before it goes up to the clew grommet. Make sure you measure the width of the track and match the block to it. Stu

S

SAM

Garhauer may sell one too

Looking at the (recently) deceased reefing blocks at the end of my '87 C-30 boom, I see that the blocks were Schafer. After 15 years in the sun, the plastic sheaves gave up the ghost and disintigrated (both sets in the same year). That's not too bad service, but I believe that Garhauer sells a similar block in stainless steel with ball bearings that should have less friction than the standard Schafer blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.