Acrylic windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
I had little trouble freeing the glass. As the old caulk had pretty much exhausted its life. My Hunter 295 is 1995 model. I'm waiting for our temperature to rise to lay new acrylic in place. Today, I'll just go down and clean all the old caulk . It's delaying my shrink wrap removal.
I got on line so I could re read your posting. Mono filament, I guess is like dental floss ? I wasn't clear whether a two sided black tape was used over the center support member? Something like fire and ice product for roofing. I'm going to attempt to set in in screw free. Apply Dow 795 and lay a couple bags of play sand straddled until it cures. The caulk had better be as good as its recommendations. I just want to avoid drilling holes and removing once its cured.

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Is there a mastic double sided adhesive that covers the support member in the middle or am I just supposed to caulk the center and hope for a perfect look free of bubbles.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The 90# test line is used to cut through the caulking. You just need to get it started by poking some holes through the 795 and get the line started. Tie something to both ends of the line and sort of use it like a saw.

I am not sure about try to place the acrylic in place without the curvature in place. I would find a plastics fabricator to do this for you. I have heard that they use hot sand to bend the material.

I would suggest that you use screw to hold the acrylic in place until the 795 cures. Then you can remove the screws and fill the holes with the 795.

You also want the fabricator to drill the holes for you. This stuff is not cheap (get American made acrylic).

I think Select Plastics is in your area, they can probably help you out with this project. If nothing else you can get their advise.

Dec 2, 1999
For some reason I think the may paint or use a black film on that area. I would call Hunter or the folks at SBO for the answer.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
My 29.5 is going thru this same repair now at our yard. The previous owner bought the windshield from Hunter and it conveyed with the boat. We toyed with the idea two seasons but decided this year to have the yard do it while doing some other work. We did find out the window was shipped slightly oversized and they have to cut it. Also if it leaks, it is their leak and not mine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
My 29.5 is going thru this same repair now at our yard. The previous owner bought the windshield from Hunter and it conveyed with the boat. We toyed with the idea two seasons but decided this year to have the yard do it while doing some other work. We did find out the window was shipped slightly over sized and they have to cut it. Also if it leaks, it is their leak and not mine. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I would also highly recommend having insulated sunbrella covers made and use them ..... saves big money in the end! ...All my hatches and skylights stay covered 24/7 unless I specifically want or need them uncovered. 12 years and they look new...Wish I had ,had made covers back then for the side window too!

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
I 've been cleaning the old caulk and think maybe the edges (inner most edges not putter perimeter) my require filling and fearing. The center beam was sprayed black to hide from the exterior.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
After you install the new windshield, leave the screws in place, just put button snaps under them. It makes a great way to attach a Sunbrella suncover.

Dec 2, 1999
Robert: The screws go thru the acrylic. The snap for the cover are in the fiberglass/gelcoat. It is best to NOT have any screws in the acrylic so it can move as the boat flexes.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Is there a mastic double sided adhesive that covers the support member in the middle or am I just supposed to caulk the center and hope for a perfect look free of bubbles.
You'll have your answer as soon as you remove the existing port. I believe what you'll find is that the entire area, including the edges of the opening and any support areas, are covered with Dow 795. After removing the old stuff and thoroughly cleaning the area, you'll squeeze on a generous amount and then trowel it with a putty knife to an even thickness. Even if you somehow ended up with some voids, you'd never see them through dark tinted acrylic over black caulk.

Remember, these are "production" boats. Whenever you're trying to figure out how to do something, ask yourself "what's the cheapest, easiest, fastest way I can possibly do this that will hold up for at least a year (i.e. length of warranty). You had a semi-skilled installer standing there with a caulking gun full of Dow 795. He's not going to put it down and use some other material for the center supports.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Robert: The screws go thru the acrylic. The snap for the cover are in the fiberglass/gelcoat. It is best to NOT have any screws in the acrylic so it can move as the boat flexes.
On my '95 H336, the fixed ports through the hull sides (oval shaped, roughly 4" x 16") show two holes filled with caulk where they obviously used screws to attach the ports, and then removed them and caulked the holes. The fixed ports along the cabin top show no holes, which tells me they bedded them in caulk and just held them in place until the caulk cured. My "windshield," or the large port forward of the mast, has screws about every 12" all around the perimeter of the acrylic. Through the acrylic, not the adjacent fiberglass. Hunter put them there. They're black, sit flush, and don't bother me, so the only thing I've ever thought of doing was seeing if I could remove one and then use it to hold a button fastener. Because I thing that would work a lot better than drilling another set of holes around the outside of the port. Since the screws are located about 3/4" from the edges of the acrylic, I figure it shouldn't be too hard to make a Sunbrella suncover with one inch folded seams at the edges.

coxjam

Sep 7, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 Texas Gulf Coast
Hunter vision ports

I just finished replacing the windows on my vision 32. I can tell you what I did and hope its useful. I researched this on these forums, as well as spoke to a couple people who paid yards to do it for them. I also got recommendations from Eddie Breeden at hunter..

1. I removed the old windows due to crazing and bluing.. No leaks, but looked really bad. I bought an oscillating saw from Harbor Freight for $15. I used the smooth edge blade most resembling a putty knife. This electric putty knife cuts into the old caulk like a hot butter knife. For the areas I couldn't reach with this oscillating saw, the 40 lb test line pulling thru the caulk from inside to out actually works pretty good.

2. Tape up the window and hope for no rain while I took the old window to a plastics company to use as a mold to make the new window. One company said it was gone to be expensive and about 8 hours of labor to make each window. I just cringed at what his estimate was going to be; he never returned my call. The next company came highly recommended because they had made boat windows for others in the local area. Unfortunately, they didn't have the material anywhere in Texas so I was going to be charge shipping to have it come from the west coast, $800 plus dollars not including fabricating my window. The third and last company locally made the window, cut out the opening for my Beckson port and charged $200. They refused to drill the wholes for the mounting screws but told me to use a standard bit, tape the plexiglass on both sides, and drill it with minimal force and low speed. I did and it worked perfect without chipping.

3. Upon installation, dry fit the window and tape all edges where the Dow Corning is going to ooze out of. Remove the window and prep it by sanding the edges that will be in contact with the new caulk. Wipe clean with acetone and set aside. Prep the fiberglass as well in the same Manner. Again, the the oscillating saw/putty knife takes the old caulk off with minimal effort. Then sand the area that is going to be in contact with 180 or so sand paper, wipe clean with acetone. All the old caulk must be removed before applying the new.

4. There were two areas of fiberglass that have a large overlap of the window. In the center part where no caulk will come into contact with it, I simply spray painted the area black so that there would not be an area of white showing through the window once installed. Just follow along where the old was, it will be clear to you once the window is out.

5. Liberally apply the caulk to the edges of the "frame" on the boat fiberglass surface then use a putty knife to spread it out leaving no gaps or air pockets in the caulk. Remember, what your trying to achieve is a solid water proof barrier from inner window to outer edge so that when you press the window into place, the caulk will ooze out both on the inner and outer edges. This assures that you have a solid field of thick caulk. Replace the screw to hold the window in place but DO NOT tighten the screws. If you do, you will squeeze out all the caulk between the two surfaces and will suffer from a poor bond.

6. Let this dray for 24 hours. Then with a razor blade, go around the edge trimming off the caulk that oozed out and remove the painters tape you applied earlier that abutts the window edge. Leave the screws in place and come back and tighten days latter after the caulk has set up. Presto, new windows that look good, don't leak, didn't break the bank getting them done.

On my '95 H336, the fixed ports through the hull sides (oval shaped, roughly 4" x 16") show two holes filled with caulk where they obviously used screws to attach the ports, and then removed them and caulked the holes. The fixed ports along the cabin top show no holes, which tells me they bedded them in caulk and just held them in place until the caulk cured. My "windshield," or the large port forward of the mast, has screws about every 12" all around the perimeter of the acrylic. Through the acrylic, not the adjacent fiberglass. Hunter put them there. They're black, sit flush, and don't bother me, so the only thing I've ever thought of doing was seeing if I could remove one and then use it to hold a button fastener. Because I thing that would work a lot better than drilling another set of holes around the outside of the port. Since the screws are located about 3/4" from the edges of the acrylic, I figure it shouldn't be too hard to make a Sunbrella suncover with one inch folded seams at the edges.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I would use the Dow 795. Yard just rebedded the two starboard salon windows on my '91 30T with sikaflex 295 and in two weeks it shrank away from the Plexiglas in several areas between the edge of the plastic and fiberglass (the bead of material that you see between the plastic and fiberglass). It is apparently bonded okay under the Plexiglas because it no longer leaks. The Dow rep said 795 could be used over top of the Sika if fully cured. Yard is trying Sika again to rework the separated areas. I do know the sikaflex and required primer are very pricey compared to the Dow product. In the end this was a simple job I should have done myself.

Btw. You can use a g,b,or e string from a guitar to slice through the old bedding material too. I removed windshields that way years back...but didn't think about the monofilament back then. It a little easier to push the wire through the bedding than mono...maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.