Acrylic windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Looks like a previous conversation is closed.
I have to replace my windshield. It's nearly flat with a slight curve. Can flat stock work? Who has. Gone though this ?
Any help thanks?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Acrylic Windshields

Looks like a previous conversation is closed.
I have to replace my windshield. It's nearly flat with a slight curve. Can flat stock work? Who has. Gone though this ?
Any help thanks?
Here is a copy of an e-mail from (at that time) Hunter Marine. They make it sound quite simple.

Ralph,
The fixed are not quite as easy as the lenses on the opening ports.
If there are any screws ,remove . Cut the caulk all the way around,
and slip mono filiament line under and pull around to cut all caulking
loose.Then of course to replace, all the old caulking needs to be removed
for a clean surface.

Thanks,

Ronnie Barnes

Replacement parts are sold with a 30 day Limited Warranty.
Electrical and underwater components are sold with NO warranty.
Shipping and delivery dates CANNOT be guaranteed.

What concerns me is the large landings that the acrylic is glued to with Dow Corning 795. I think that's going to be a real bear to get that mono filament line all the way under the acrylic.

I've already replaced the acrylic in all of the Lewmar hatches and I know the old 795 in those was an absolute SOB to remove :cussing:. It was only about 1/4" wide and quite open but still very difficult.

I've been grumbling about replacing the fixed windows for a couple of years now and it's just matter of making the first cut to get the job started.

PS Flat stock is fine for the job. Use a few small screws to hold it in place while the 795 sets. Remove the screws after and fill the small holes with 795 for appearance. This was how mine were factory installed.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Geesh that's wonderful. I've been sending photos of the windshield seeking quotes. Somewhere between $600-960 plus shipping both ways. Sending my old away & return . And, I kept thinking I could fail 20 times myself for that expense. Plexiglass 3/8" does have flexibility.
Thanks. Cutting I suppose will be my next ? :)

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Are you talking abbout the forward fixed port? If so, I had all the ports replaced on my 40.5. The 'windshield' was cut from flat stock and formed in an oven. I suggest you discuss it with Hunter or take photos to a large plastic supplier who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You might be able to refinish and rebed the windshield if there are no cracks.
Why are you replacing it (and which one exactly)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have a 29.5 with the same problem. I stopped the removal process waiting for the dry season and now that it has arrived I need to get back to work. Has anyone replaced it with 2 opening hatches? I think this would be ideal.

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Interesting thought? Twin hatches, not sure how they would attach as the surface isn't flat
I got a quote today for $350. To replace the plexiglass from UPD Plastics, lowest yet

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Sailm8 said:
I have a 29.5 with the same problem. I stopped the removal process waiting for the dry season and now that it has arrived I need to get back to work. Has anyone replaced it with 2 opening hatches? I think this would be ideal.
I have the h356 and if the deck skylights were not of such a odd shape I would have put in opening hatches which would been much better. I have insulated sunbrella hatch covers on all my hatches so the acrylic glass has not started to craze like the fixed side windows have. Should have made protective side coverers for the sides also from day one.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Yeah they are an odd size. I wonder how difficult it would be to "square" them up to a standard size?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Check with a local glass shop. Most will sell you raw material or cut to size for you. I am going this route here very soon. My local glass shop could get any material, at any thickness available, any color available.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
You could always put a opening hatches within it if you really wanted to. Of course, you would have to allow for the curvature. Hunter Vision 32 & 36's had opening ports installed within the fixed ports. The downside is another spot to leak and not a good place to put something to trip over.

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
many are recommending Dow Corning 795... do we have others preferred out here? I have my 'windshield' and two ports to replace as soon as it warms up.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Don't fight it; there are tons of posts on this and that product is the standard.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
$350 seems awfully cheap. I would be sure that you know what you are getting. Brand, thickness, specs, color etc. This should be acrylic (ie: Plexiglass etc). Do you have a sun cover for the area? If not, I would get one before you get the replacement.

I agree with Rick regarding the DOW795. It is the preferred product. There are other products like Sika but why would you want to use anything other than the DOW product? The stuff is not expensive and it does an excellent job.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If DOW is not your product of choice then you can try the Sika (295) product.

May 1, 2009
Hunter 30 Groton, CT
Can the windshield be installed without screwing to boat? I have read, it's recommended to remove screws after silicone has cured.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Here is a copy of an e-mail from (at that time) Hunter Marine. They make it sound quite simple.

Ralph,
The fixed are not quite as easy as the lenses on the opening ports.
If there are any screws ,remove . Cut the caulk all the way around,
and slip mono filiament line under and pull around to cut all caulking
loose.Then of course to replace, all the old caulking needs to be removed
for a clean surface.

Thanks,

Ronnie Barnes

Replacement parts are sold with a 30 day Limited Warranty.
Electrical and underwater components are sold with NO warranty.
Shipping and delivery dates CANNOT be guaranteed.

What concerns me is the large landings that the acrylic is glued to with Dow Corning 795. I think that's going to be a real bear to get that mono filament line all the way under the acrylic.

I've already replaced the acrylic in all of the Lewmar hatches and I know the old 795 in those was an absolute SOB to remove :cussing:. It was only about 1/4" wide and quite open but still very difficult.

I've been grumbling about replacing the fixed windows for a couple of years now and it's just matter of making the first cut to get the job started.

PS Flat stock is fine for the job. Use a few small screws to hold it in place while the 795 sets. Remove the screws after and fill the small holes with 795 for appearance. This was how mine were factory installed.
There is a great article on a new ( to me) way of installing fixed port lights. This month's "Sail". It is by Don Casey. Check it out.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.