ACP COMPOSTION

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Recently I have asked for help but no responses. I have one general question before going to the next level as the engineer at Petit Paints asked me specifically which plastic composition it is as I am trying to get a mfg responses as to bottom painting. I am asking you to identify as to help all of you. I was asked if it was one of the following:
1. ABS
2. Polypropylene
3. Polyethylene
4. Polycarbonate
5. Polystyrene

I would appreciate some advice

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
After a brief Google search, I am going to venture a guess that it is none of the above. More likely Polyester to keep cost down.

Edit: I stand corrected. I was misled when it indicated fiberglass reinforced.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Let me take a stab at this..............the thread below indicated the outer skin hull material is Luran ACP which is BASF's styrene-acrylonitrile copolymer (SAN).

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate this. Now for a response from petit paints what to apply to ACP HULLS

Aug 11, 2020
Hunter 170 Lighthouse Cove On
I thought the plastic was ACP but I’ve also seen it referred to as ABS. I would also like to paint the bottom of my boat and purchased some anti fouling paint but am unsure of how to prep it first. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TY

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
This veers off the thread, but Byron, I recently painted my 1998 Hunter 170 using Krylon ColorMaxx Paint and Primer. I cleaned and sanded lightly, then wiped with denatured alcohol (do NOT use acetone) before applying. It has adhered well, and has accepted additional coats as well as application of clear gloss. I wish I had not applied the clear gloss. Contrary to what the labelling said, it has a slight yellow cast to it. On the positive side, it did leave me with a nice, smooth finish.