Accessing cabin light bulbs for replacement - H240

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
I want to replace the cabin light bulbs with LED. At least two of the fixtures are set in plates that have screws. I'm assuming, but haven't tried, that if I remove the screws I'll be able to access the bulb. However, the fixture over the v-berth does not have the screws and I can't figure out how you're supposed to get to the bulb. What is trick with these things?

Sep 13, 2021
Might check here: Hunter Parts (hunterowners.com) and might have to remove the lens first. Can you post a photo of the lights without screws?
This isn't an actual photo of mine, but it looks just like the one on the parts list at that link you shared. There is not a screw visible. It's mounted directly to the ceiling somehow, and I haven't been able to twist or unscrew the lens.

1632148108275.png

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Have you tried carefully popping off the lens to access the hidden screws? I have similar ones on my Hunter 46 that I replaced but not currently at the boat to check.

Sep 13, 2021
That's actually what I'm trying to figure out. I'm assuming I can get to the bulb for replacement if I can get the lens out, but I haven't been able to figure that out. I'm afraid to break it. I thought it would twist off but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my H26 I have to push up on the lense and then twist it. It was not obvious and I had to fiddle with it for some time before I figured it out.

Sep 13, 2021
Thank you Rob! As ET WOUKD SAY COME HOME
Hi Dave - I still haven’t figured out how to access the bulbs. The lenses don’t seem to want to twist out. When I push on them I don’t sense any play or movement. Can you describe how they are held in place?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Can you describe how they are held in place?
Snap in / Snap out.
63697_W3.jpg
I use the tool on the right, in the tiny slits [4] on the side. Insert tool, pry out gently.
Jim...

PS: It is called a "Pick" . $2/set.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When I converted to LED's, I had to remove the lens first. Then you twist the base CCW.
Change your wire to LED bulb base. Reverse procedure. Done.

That type light base is very clever way to not use screws.

Jim...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When I converted to LED's, I had to remove the lens first. Then you twist the base CCW.
Change your wire to LED bulb base. Reverse procedure. Done.

That type light base is very clever way to not use screws.

Jim...
Yes it is CCW. Push up on the lense and twist CCW. You will meet resistance but give it a little force and you will feel it slip past a clip holding it in place.

Sep 13, 2021
Yes it is CCW. Push up on the lense and twist CCW. You will meet resistance but give it a little force and you will feel it slip past a clip holding it in place.
I have not had any success pushing or twisting on the lens itself.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It is a TWO part process...

Take a deep breath and relax.....
Welcome to this site...

Lot of helpers here, and sometimes you have to re-read the replies and put them in context.:cool:;)

Jim...

Sep 13, 2021
It is a TWO part process...

Take a deep breath and relax.....
Welcome to this site...

Lot of helpers here, and sometimes you have to re-read the replies and put them in context.:cool:;)

Jim...
No stress here...just replying to the generous replies I'm getting.