Access to fuel intake in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

On a trip home from the Sasafress River where large boat wakes kept the boat rocking, what ever sludge was in the tank worked it's way into the filter and starved the engine. I limped home with limited RPMs. I returned a few days later to clean/replace the filters. Yes, the small screen in the fuel pump was pretty clogged up . The question is, as I was trying to gain access to the end of the fuel line in the fuel tank ,I was surprised when as I uscrewed the "L " fiting at the top of the tank, no hose with the suspected screen at the end was attached. After reading many posts on this site and others I had visulaized it being one connected unit. So... How do you get access to the fuel intake line? I 've been told that it's best to remove the screen at the end ( good advice?) Anyway ... whatever help can be given is apreciated. Oh yes , engine is back running as good as usual but I suspect I have a problem looming in the tank. Dave Sandowich "Charis" 85 Catalina

A

art femenella

Fuel Gauge

I have an '88 Cat 30 with tank just aft of the compainway ladder. Just had my tank cleaned at the yard and they accessed the interior by removing the fuel gauge sending unit. It helps to heel the boat if possible so sludge and water settle on one side.

D

Don

You probably took off the fuel return line.

You should have 3 small lines. The fuel return, the tank vent and the fuel supply. Sounds like you had the return. The supply line should have a shut-off valve on it. Be carefull putting the fittings back on the tank which is aluminum and easily stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.