? about Puffer stability?

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Can any of you Puffer owners tell me how the puffer compares to the Sunfish as far as stability goes?

I am considering a puffer or something like it that will hold 2 people more comfortably than a Sunfish. But how quick is it to roll over compared to a Fish?

Thanks..

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can any of you Puffer owners tell me how the puffer compares to the Sunfish as far as stability goes?

I am considering a puffer or something like it that will hold 2 people more comfortably than a Sunfish. But how quick is it to roll over compared to a Fish?

Thanks..
I've sailed both.... if you can't handle a Sunfish.. you will have trouble with the Puffer. It's got two sails and can get overpowered quickly if you don't know what you're doing. No matter what you decide... you'll be way better off to take a sailing class, or get some lessons... or at least get an instructional book for dinghy sailing. Heck.. you can google "how to sail a small boat" and get all kinds of YouTube stuff.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
As a child I learned to sail on a Puffer. I would say they are more stable than a sunfish as well as have more room for two people and room to carry additional items if you plan to be out for hours.
They are slightly more complex to sail having the jib, but that gives the second person a job to do, control the jib sheets.
Understanding the mechanics of sailing is important for both safety and enjoyment. As stated prior, take a class or have someone with knowledge take you out and show you the ropes!
Hope your first experience doesn't keep you from trying again.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
As a child I learned to sail on a Puffer. I would say they are more stable than a sunfish as well as have more room for two people and room to carry additional items if you plan to be out for hours.
They are slightly more complex to sail having the jib, but that gives the second person a job to do, control the jib sheets.
Understanding the mechanics of sailing is important for both safety and enjoyment. As stated prior, take a class or have someone with knowledge take you out and show you the ropes!
Hope your first experience doesn't keep you from trying again.
No it won't stop me from trying again..just need something a little bigger/safer for GF.

thanks for the info!

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
I've sailed both.... if you can't handle a Sunfish.. you will have trouble with the Puffer. It's got two sails and can get overpowered quickly if you don't know what you're doing. No matter what you decide... you'll be way better off to take a sailing class, or get some lessons... or at least get an instructional book for dinghy sailing. Heck.. you can google "how to sail a small boat" and get all kinds of YouTube stuff.
Thanks..will have to teach myself. I normally learn the best by just doing...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks..will have to teach myself. I normally learn the best by just doing...
Oh brother..... weren't you the guy that had so much trouble getting his Sunfish righted??? How's that "learn by doing" working for you now? Please don't waste our time if you have it figured out already. If you care about your girlfriends safety... you're not showing it here.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Oh brother..... weren't you the guy that had so much trouble getting his Sunfish righted??? How's that "learn by doing" working for you now? Please don't waste our time if you have it figured out already. If you care about your girlfriends safety... you're not showing it here.
Sure I care..that is why I am looking for something more stable like the puffer.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I did say that the Puffer is more stable than a Sunfish but I didn't say it wouldn't tip over. Probably the most fun a 12 year old kid could have on a small sailboat is tipping it over, it was kind of a game for us. We would intentionally tip the boat over in less than 8 knots of wind, but then we knew how to get it upright again!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Is there such a thing as a stable dingy? There is a Puffer in the corral where I keep my C22. I think your gf would feel more comfortable in it over the Sunfish since you sit in it and not on it. Maybe pick low wind days at first to get the feel for tending the jib and mainsheet. Or even go out with just the jib at first and then raise the main after your comfortable. Looks like a fairly easy boat to right if she tips over.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
I did say that the Puffer is more stable than a Sunfish but I didn't say it wouldn't tip over. Probably the most fun a 12 year old kid could have on a small sailboat is tipping it over, it was kind of a game for us. We would intentionally tip the boat over in less than 8 knots of wind, but then we knew how to get it upright again!
Yea I know it won't be perfect but I think I will have a better chance of her trusting the boat over the fish.

I can get a boat cheap that the owners's mom thinks is something called a Capri, but I think that is larger than what I want

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Is there such a thing as a stable dingy? There is a Puffer in the corral where I keep my C22. I think your gf would feel more comfortable in it over the Sunfish since you sit in it and not on it. Maybe pick low wind days at first to get the feel for tending the jib and mainsheet. Or even go out with just the jib at first and then raise the main after your comfortable. Looks like a fairly easy boat to right if she tips over.
Yea I think it would be better for our needs..just got to find one..

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Well I found a Puffer and did her maiden today. Sailed for several hours with no issues. It is more stable to me and never wanted to turn over. Only thing I did not like is tiller is rather long which makes it hard to sit on the rear bench. I did play it safe by only hoisting the mail sail and stayed in calm waters. Still enough wind to get on a plane though.

2 friends and my GF came to watch. They both own power boats and one in particular thought it was too much work raising the mast/etc before launch. I have had comments like this before with the fish but sailing and power boating are different kinds of fun and I just happen to like both so no biggie.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Can you sit more forward? The fore aft trim, for that boat, in that picture is awful. I think sitting more forward would help with your tiller complaint. Small boats are very sensitive to crew position.
The Capri's are real boats. I think they go from 16 to 26'. You can't know if the one available is too big until you know what it is.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
Can you sit more forward? The fore aft trim, for that boat, in that picture is awful. I think sitting more forward would help with your tiller complaint. Small boats are very sensitive to crew position.
The Capri's are real boats. I think they go from 16 to 26'. You can't know if the one available is too big until you know what it is.
I ended up sitting more forward because of the tiller and it works out ok but not as comfortable as I was having to tack back and forth up wind.

I found out what the other boat for sale is: It's a 14ft Capri .

I wanted a small boat so I could pull it with my small car and could keep it up. It's easy to buy a boat , but keeping it up is harder, esp for a larger boat.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
The tiller is long so you can steer from a more balanced position in the middle of the boat... just like the sunfish. Your mainsail looks improperly rigged, it is not attached to the mast along the leading edge. Did someone help you???? My guess is NO.
Study this picture:

Here are a hundred more: https://www.google.com/search?q=puf...om%2Fviewrecord.asp%3Fclass_id%3D4975;420;600

How does it attach? Mine has a halyard line at the top and attached to the boom at the bottom. I did find some old instructions, but they are honestly horrible for someone who just boat the boat. But regardless, boat still handled better than the fish. Easy to get out of irons,not as tippy ether.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
My coworker friend just stopped me and told me her family needs the Capri gone and they want me to come over and take it away. Free or maybe a few bucks later if I like it .

Don't really need another boat but for this price hard to turn down unless it's junk. I know it needs work but waiting for more details/pictures.

I suspect this boat may be larger than what I want/ or may be too much work for me..if so I will offer to anyone local here that might have a use for it.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
101e it looks like the mainsail of the Puffer has a boltrope sewn into the luff (front) of the sail. Be sure to feed this into the slot on the mast as you hoist the main, keeping the bow pointed into the wind will as you hoist will make this much easier. This will help greatly in properly shaping the sail and it will actually make the boat a bit more stable. It's hard to tell from your pic, do you have all three battens in the sail?

Also try to keep the daggerboard all the way down in the slot when sailing upwind, more stability and handling.

It may seem awkward to tack if you are sitting more forward, but you'll catch on pretty quick how to move around things in the cockpit. This will help you balance the boat fore/aft when singlehanding. By keeping the bow down on the water the boat will handle better and be a little faster. Adjust your seating when your gf or others join you aboard.

It sure looks like you are having lots of fun, both sailing and searching for the best boat for you. Sail on!

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
101e it looks like the mainsail of the Puffer has a boltrope sewn into the luff (front) of the sail. Be sure to feed this into the slot on the mast as you hoist the main, keeping the bow pointed into the wind will as you hoist will make this much easier. This will help greatly in properly shaping the sail and it will actually make the boat a bit more stable. It's hard to tell from your pic, do you have all three battens in the sail?

Also try to keep the daggerboard all the way down in the slot when sailing upwind, more stability and handling.

It may seem awkward to tack if you are sitting more forward, but you'll catch on pretty quick how to move around things in the cockpit. This will help you balance the boat fore/aft when singlehanding. By keeping the bow down on the water the boat will handle better and be a little faster. Adjust your seating when your gf or others join you aboard.

It sure looks like you are having lots of fun, both sailing and searching for the best boat for you. Sail on!

Thanks.I asked someone about this and they confirmed that is how I should do it. Funny thing is the boat sailed great like I had it. If Wx holds (and it's ify), will go for round 2 tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Late to the dance. My first boat was a Puffer back in the mid 70s. I loved it. I used to sail the waters around Annapolis. Great starter boat.