A Year of Fouling and Half Knot Speed Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I've always wondered how well a jet pump from a jetski would work on a sailboat... mainly because I've a damaged ski with a good powertrain in the barn...

Hmmm some fiberglass and a saw...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've always wondered how well a jet pump from a jetski would work on a sailboat... mainly because I've a damaged ski with a good powertrain in the barn...

Got reverse?:)

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I've always wondered how well a jet pump from a jetski would work on a sailboat...
Not very well from the standpoint of fuel economy under power. The closer the boat speed is to the speed of the water coming out the jet, the greater the efficiency. Jets are not very fuel efficient at displacement speeds.

OTOH the lack of drag under sail could make it as good solution for a boat that doesn't spend a lot of time motoring.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
"What happens when you get below 2?"

You'd be 'screwed', of course.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH

Isn't that idea what Hinkley Boats now have? A 2" line fore and aft should get you started (Kinda like Red October). Reverse could be done with two "Y" valves to reverse the flow. You could even go wild and throw in the bow thruster lines. If you could keep the lines cleaned out it would be impressive.
All U Get

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Isn't that idea what Hinkley Boats now have? A 2" line fore and aft should get you started (Kinda like Red October). Reverse could be done with two "Y" valves to reverse the flow. You could even go wild and throw in the bow thruster lines. If you could keep the lines cleaned out it would be impressive.
All U Get

Interesting thought if I must say, at least for bow thruster power. Check valves might work to keep it "clean".

Regarding jet pumps, though, efficiency is always highest when moving a large volume of fluid slowly, and lowest in efficiency when moving a small volume of fluid rapidly. Jets only win in purchase cost because they are cheap. There is as yet, not a more efficient means of propulsion, in water (or air), than a prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.