A very sad time

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME
Tim and Kathy...

So sorry to hear of this sad news. Shamus was a cool guy and an awesome boat dog. Randy and I extend our sincere condolences.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
If we are among the chosen, then God "loans" dogs to us to raise, love and prepare for his Kingdom, where they prepare for our re-union. Even our Pope, true to his Franciscan calling, acknowledges a place in Heaven for our beloved pets.

We can never replace a lost pet. All we can do is re-direct the same love we have to another dog that God is willing for us to raise for Him. The sooner the better............for us AND the new pup.

My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss of a wonderful friend and companion.
What a wonderful expression of grief then joy.
Well said.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I'm so sorry to hear of your heartache Tim. They come into our lives and bring such comfort and joy, and leave such a hole in our days and our hearts.
Our last golden passed away 10 years ago and I still miss him. We waited to get another dog ... Until we felt ready...... And still don't have one. I think it's a mistake to wait.... It doesn't get easier. And think what a wonderful home you have open for another needing love and companionship. I should take my own advise.

Take good care. Patti

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Condolences to you and your wife... My Chocolate Lab just turned 7 years old this month and I know it is still a LONG way off but I dread the day that I have to experience what you are going through now. You are probably taking it better than I will be able to, they might have to throw me in the Looney Bin!

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I was thinking that I forgot to add another scientific article titled, "Dog's Domestication of Man"...
Ron, dogs are amazingly attuned to us and are usually a pretty good judge of people. If dogs don't trust someone it's a pretty good bet you shouldn't either.

On the other hand they can always tell who the "dog people" are. :D

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I also have what is called URN jewelry onboard where, you can save a loved-one's ashes. I have an anchor with Tara's ashes & one for my best friend John mounted on my compression post. John was the first to teach me sailing.

Now, they live full-time on my boat.

CR
Kinda cool...

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Thanks everyone. We may have finally made it through our first tear free day.

We will definitely get another but not until the fall.

Shamus enjoying a romp on a pretty Maine Island a few years ago.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I took Rocky to see the vet for the very last time in March of last year. I still hurt and miss him terribly. Charlie chose us at the local SPCA on July 5 of last year. He's now my best friend and a good sailing dawg, but I still miss Rocky with all of my being. He wasn't the best dawg in the world but he was my best friend in the world. Charlie is now my best friend. But I'll never forget Rocky.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Thanks everyone. We may have finally made it through our first tear free day. We will definitely get another but not until the fall. Shamus enjoying a romp on a pretty Maine Island a few years ago.
A beautiful dog. May your fond memories of the time he gave to you in life bring you happiness.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I understand your grief...seems to just go on and on. We lost our basset hound 4 years ago and I still think of Maggie often...I cannot get her love out of my heart or mind...I don't think I want to...Now I have a feral cat that is in love with me....all I can say is animals love us and give their heart and soul to us with no expectations in return...This goofy feral cat believes that I am here to keep her alive and so I think it may be true....for I will sacrifice everything for her....God will wipe away your tears and he knows your love for the animals that depend on your love. ..he will hold you tight.
God Bless You, Patrick in Wichita

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sorry to hear, Tim.. A good sailing friend leaving is a sad thing.. Best to ya.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Its always a very hard decision to make, not too soon and not too late, our vet told us that we will know when the time is right. To many people prolong the dogs life because they aren't strong enough to make the decision. Its never easy.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
That sucks, we've been there. I know words don't help but you did what you did because you guys loved your dog & that's what you need to remind yourselves.
He'll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I'm so sorry to hear about Shamus, Tim. I'm currently enjoying life with dog #5 and although the hole in your heart may be huge, somewhere out there, in time, there's another who will gladly fill that hole so much it spills over. Trust me on this, I've been through it 4 times before. The reason dogs live such short lives is so that we get to know more of them through the span of ours.

Aug 1, 2012
Catalina 27 Curtice, OH
I'm sorry to hear about your loss! When we lost our cat, Ike, (he was mostly our daughter's) she was talking about how sad it is that they leave so soon. I told her that while it's sad, it's also the reason we get to experience so many varied and amazing personalities. We've had 5 dogs and 2 cats over the years and while I miss them all, I'm grateful to have know them all.