A very sad time

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
On Sunday we had to put down our faithful dog, Shamus. He was our constant companion especially the last year while we sailed from Maine to Cape Breton Island, to the Bahamas and back to Maine. He will be missed. :-(

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
One of the saddest things in life is when a pet has to be put down. We are currently looking at the same thing in the near future.

My condolences to you.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll never understand why we're doomed to outlive our best friends.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Our condolences to you and your wife Tim. It's such a huge void when they leave us. Hope you can take solace in the time you got to spend together and the happiness you brought one another.

Joe

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
sorry to here this Tim i know how you feel having lost (louie the wonder dog) the neighbor's dog about 4 months ago..now every time mike drives up i catch myself looking for louie....

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
"If Tears Could Build A Stairway"

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I would walk right up to Heaven and bring you back again.

No farewell words were spoken, no time to say "Goodbye";
You were gone before I knew it, and only God knows why.

My heart still aches with sadness and secret tears still flow.
What it meant to love you - no one can ever know.

But now I know you want me to mourn for you no more;
To remember all the happy times life still has much in store.

Since you'll never be forgotten, I pledge to you today -
A hallowed place within my heart is where you'll always stay.

Author: Unknown

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Your dog will warm your heart every single day, without fail. A sad day indeed to lose him.

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 260 Portland, OR
Tim R:

So sorry to hear. Ours of the icon image left on Thursday after fifteen years. Dkeagle's poem is spot on. We wish you all the best from fellow lab lovers.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I think we will not find any better friend than in a dog. They stick by you through thick and thin, whether you're right or wrong, rich or poor. My condolences to you and love ones.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I am so sorry to hear that you have lost Shamus. It looked like he was having so much fun on your cruise. We also lost our 17 year old Dachsy Wink last winter and we still cry over the loss. My sincere condolences and remember that all dogs go to heaven.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Tim, I'm not so good with these kind of words, but I hate to hear that, big time.

There is no greater friend than a mans dog.

Jan 6, 2010
Tim,

So sorry to hear of your loss.
I'm a dog lover & they are amazing creatures. Ya know, all dogs are direct descendants of the wolf. They found a way to evolve & become man's best friend.

It was the dog that first domesticated man. They started out by staying on the camp's perimeters. Eventually our ancestors started throwing them scraps of food. Our ancestors then started collecting pups for domestication. Dogs were first used as warning with barking when danger was close & for warmth in winter. Remember the musical group Three Dog Night? The colder it was, the more dogs you cuddled with for warmth.

Here is where our symbiotic relationship evolved. But remember, it was dog (wolf) that first approached man.

I lost my Irish Setter a few years back, I raised Tara as a human, boy did I screw her up. I haven't yet been able to adopt another pup since. Losing a dog is the same as losing a family member. Keep in mind the fond memories, they last forever man.

For those that want to learn more about how amazing dogs really are, there are two videos on YouTube called, "The Secret Lives of Dogs". This should be required viewing for all dog lovers.

Again Tim, I feel for you pal.

CR

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Tim, I feel for you. It's amazing how hard it hits you.

We lost our yellow lab Penny a few years ago and we're only now starting to talk seriously about another dog. For a long time we just couldn't think about replacing her.

But even though we're dogless we have a lot of adopted pups. Every dog in our marina knows we keep bacon treats on board ;)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Tim, I feel for you. It's amazing how hard it hits you.

We lost our yellow lab Penny a few years ago and we're only now starting to talk seriously about another dog. For a long time we just couldn't think about replacing her.

But even though we're dogless we have a lot of adopted pups. Every dog in our marina knows we keep bacon treats on board ;)
that makes the pups your grand kids

Jan 6, 2010
Jimm,

Nicely said pal.

I was thinking that I forgot to add another scientific article titled, "Dog's Domestication of Man". It's an amazing article that goes back 100,000 years to when the friendship first began.

I've had dogs my whole life man. I've had to go thru loss also. My last doggie, Tara, AKA The duchess of Middleton, I scattered her ashes out in the gulf. I also have what is called URN jewelry onboard where, you can save a loved-one's ashes. I have an anchor with Tara's ashes & one for my best friend John mounted on my compression post. John was the first to teach me sailing.

Now, they live full-time on my boat.

CR

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Sorry about your loss. I feel your pain. I have lost 5 wonderful dogs during my lifetime. It's great to hear your dog had a great life. Too many a-holes out there abusing their animals......makes me pissed. I know it's a tough time for you now but you MUST consider getting another dog. There are dogs waiting to find a good loving home. My last dog Misty was 12 when she passed a couple years ago. 3 weeks later I rescued Kelly from a shelter. There is no better feeling than giving an abused, neglected dog a good loving home and an enjoyable life. They may be replaced...........but never forgotten.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
If we are among the chosen, then God "loans" dogs to us to raise, love and prepare for his Kingdom, where they prepare for our re-union. Even our Pope, true to his Franciscan calling, acknowledges a place in Heaven for our beloved pets.

We can never replace a lost pet. All we can do is re-direct the same love we have to another dog that God is willing for us to raise for Him. The sooner the better............for us AND the new pup.

My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss of a wonderful friend and companion.

On Sunday we had to put down our faithful dog, Shamus. He was our constant companion especially the last year while we sailed from Maine to Cape Breton Island, to the Bahamas and back to Maine. He will be missed. :-(

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am really sorry to hear that. Loosing a pet is loosing a family member.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
The little furry kids get under your skin and when they go away they take large pieces of your heart with them.

Our Babies. Saga, Alpha and Blackie. Even now the hurt still lingers. RIP, guys.

Attachments