A Survey for PNW Sailors Re: Anchor Rode

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
To further clarify what I mean by PNW waters, to me that includes Puget Sound north to the Alaskan border. Not been quite there yet, but Princess Royal Island is the furtherest north for me, which I also consider PNW waters. Between here and there, many anchorages fall within a reasonable depth of water; 20' to 30' mid tide. Our boat is equipped with what it takes to drop in deeper water, but will search for and usually find those anchorages that fall within that range.

Hate is a pretty strong word. I too dislike stern tie for a variety of reasons, even with the setup, which we have used some number of times. Just not my preference, especially in a blow. As far as chain goes, I purchased 50' of G40 ACCO hot dipped galvanized in 2015, which we have used many times. It gets a fresh water rinse after each cruise looking the same as the day of purchase.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I try to avoid them and look for places that receive little traffic. I normally shoot for 20-25' of water mid tide and drop 110-130' of rode depending upon weather conditions.
A sailors dream, Terry. Liberty Bay, Quartermaster Hbr, Hunter Bay and Reid Hbr are a few places that we anchored in during our trip down South last month that met your target depths. And they all were nearly empty. :) However our month long trip to the Discovery Islands in July saw depths more in the range of 40’ - 65’. But still we were on chain only and didn’t find it necessary to go over 200’ of rode. I usually equate deeper water to more privacy particularly during the summer months. Although we are not planing to venture as far north as Michael did, I’m think that we should go with what we have next year and reconsider at the end of the trip.
@David in Sandusky, I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t have an impact but I have not experienced any noticeable pitching in the boat. There are so many other variables in the amount of fuel, water, holding tank, provisions and people at any given time that the extra weight may not make much of a difference. In fact when the chain is nearly all deployed at anchor the bow may rise an inch if that.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just a note regarding Desolation Sound and surrounding area anchorages that fall within my preferences:
Roscoe Bay
Tenedos Bay
Melanie Cove
Grace Harbor
Cochoran Its
Squirrel Cove
Susan Its
Theodosha Inlet
Prideaux Haven
Gorge Hbr.
Copeland Isl.
Cortes Bay

There are others and will add them as they come to mind.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Terry, I have anchored in many of those you have listed but you have added a few new ones. Thank you for that. Given tides can be as high as 16’ up there, I assume you are referencing 25’ at low water level vice high water.