A Survey for PNW Sailors Re: Anchor Rode

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As I said I might increase the scope beyond 2:1 in 90 ft if I sense the need. That ultimately means “hanging” on the rope-chain splice b/c all of the chain would be veered. I have Suncor’s stainless steel chain, too, which retails now @ $23.56/ft. Not counting the boat itself, that means I would have about $4,500 of SS ground tackle riding on a $30 rope-chain splice. :pray:

I have the splice done at the WM rigging shop to ease my concern somewhat, and I replace it every few seasons. With all of the chain veered there no need for a snubber to absorb shock per se , but you still might wish to protect and back-stop the windlass. That means a tying hitch, such as a rolling hitch, to the rode past the windlass and stopping it to a deck cleat. Of course, to recover you must untie it.

To be effective (i.e., to grip) the hitch line should be a smaller size. That is 1/2” 3-strand nylon rope to hitch to the 5/16” nylon rode. 1/2” 3-strand is plenty strong normally, but now you have everything riding on a splice and undersized snubber, instead of a fully chain rode with a 5/8” 3-strand snubber line and chain hook. My options are: 1) lie to 2:1 scope, all chain w/oversized snubber line; 2) increase scope and lie to an undersized snubber line (unless removing it or not using one) and rope-chain splice; or 3) move to shallower water where I can get 3:1 scope, all chain, etc. The options we are discussing for you are to carry less chain which puts you into the above set of choices, or keep the long chain so you can anchor in deep water at 3:1 or better.

As always, it depends! :wink3: However, the risk of dragging at 2:1 scope in deep water is probably much greater than the risk of failure of a new (undamaged) rope-chain splice, etc. So, you could back-up a shorter length of chain with 200 to 250 ft of nylon 3-strand rode of the correct size with a professional rope-chain splice and deploy as you see needed, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I can add that the boat is a 1999 Bavaria 38E. The west coast importer for Bavaria yachts is and was then in Vancouver, BC. So the boat was first sold to a customer there who intended to cruise “the waters of British Columbia” basically rigged as it is now for anchoring except that I added the 3-strand nylon rode to the 160 ft of SS chain.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
A goodly bit of information to chaw on. I like it. Thanks.
My initial (and still outstanding) choice is to either keep or reduce the amount of anchor line (currently 250' x 5/8" - 3 strand nylon) by maybe 100' - 150'. That would reduce the congestion in the anchor locker and allow the chain to sit lower in that space. I have not considered reducing the 200' of 5/16" G4 galvanized chain. I like being on all chain the majority of times more to reduce the scope, hunting and swing radius in tight anchorages (South of my marina). I have not found that it negatively affects sailing performance in my cruising sailboat. I am sure it does to some degree.
As I enter anchorages my objective is to lie approximately 100+ yds from any other boat or land. This is not always possible and usually moves me into deeper water. Anything under 50 yds and my stress factor increases. If I was energetic, I would (will????) remove all the anchor rode and replace with all but 150' of anchor line. It would then be conclusive whether the reduction of line would actually be impactful or not. The 5 month offseason is long up here so I should be able to do that in 1vof the 2 non-rainy days that we get in that period (blame it on the weather forecasters).
Again thanks for the input @Kings Gambit et al.