A start gone ALL WRONG

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Obviously I don't know who was behind them coming up but it looks like at :44 they could have ducked those boats and come out on time further down the line and with speed.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
JD, a HARD turn up and back down usually finds the leeward boats clearing out because they are still sailing down the line, giving you room to bow down and power up. they need to be agressive turns to scrub speed, but protecting a spot to leeward is big. is that the option u r thinking?
Yea that’s most it. A full luff of both sails, and maybe a slight turn up. The idea is to burn time, let the line clear. You get a solid 2nd row start, at the spot you wanted at the boat. And if you want to take a quick hitch to get clear air, no one is to windward. If just luffing works to clear it’s better; it minimizes the distance to the line you burn.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Obviously I don't know who was behind them coming up but it looks like at :44 they could have ducked those boats and come out on time further down the line and with speed.
That can work as well but as you note you have to have a clean spot to turn, and the you have to reach under the entire line of 1st row starters, which costs time.

It also requires a very coordinated turn with a big ease from the main, and then the headsail. Boat will not turn otherwise.

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw ,

Did he end up in the water or did he stay on the boat?

Greg
@Tally Ho ,

Sorry, missed this. He stayed on the boat. Obviously Blue retired and took him to the hospital. Then a very ugly discussion about the employment status of professional sailors. Employees? Contractors? Insurance? Workman’s Comp? California boat in Mexican waters? Lawyer field day.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Wow where to start. LOTS of good stuff so far.

First the role of the tactician. In this role he's also a coach, but you really have to do one role at a time. Ideally as tactician, a few minutes before the start they should tell the skipper where and why they want to start on the line, how important that position is, and where the boat should be a minute after the start. Then ask the driver how much guidance they need to make that happen. Ideally the skipper says ‘None, I got this'. I'm sure this is not how it went on this day; this driver needs lots of second-by-second instruction, being what I call a 'remote control driver'. This is OK for coaching, but you need a much less agressive starting strategy. Which they did not have.

For some reason they were using a so-called 'Vanderbilt Start', which has you reach off for a minute 2 minutes before the start, tack back and come back to the line, hitting at the gun. While reasonably safe for a new skipper mid-line, it is VERY dangerous to do at the boat end, as being overstood by any amount puts you at risk of barging.

So thats what we got. A big boat, an inexperienced driver, and a tactician busy playing with some app on his phone. As they come in, it's clear that they are overstood, and are in fact barging. As he talks to the driver, he should note that it's not a conversation. Thats bad. It means that she's not processing anything, just trying to do what she's told. At the end of the day; it's on HER to decide where the boat can go. But's she's not capable making that call.

At 0:46 is the real decision point. ALL boats to leeward have rights, and are coming up. Notice that Blue is still reaching; her mainsail is way out. He asks for up, but should really be looking at this as his last chance to get out of Dodge. But he does not, he asks her to come up to make room, but she freezes, probably rightly worried about the RC boat. Why not bail? Remember he is a paid PRO. And you don't get asked back when you deliver 3rd row starts. And you'r a paid pro on a kick-ass J/122. You don't lose the start to a Catalina with a bimini and kayak on the rail.

At 0:52 they are committed, no bailout now. Someone mentioned the person in red leeward could have been talking about other boats. Not their job. They're headsail trimming; his only job is to watch the telltails. All other boats will start fine.

At 0:54 Camelot comes up hard. Who knows why and who cares; it's totally in her rights to do so. Windward boat shall keep clear. Here the driver needs to react instantly; but does not. Remote controlled. She's waiting to be told.

At 0:56 he asks for up-up-up, and she grinds the wheel. Not much happens, the rudder probably broke flow and cavitated. And in a powered up reach, a mainsail ease would have taken pressure off the back of the boat and helped the turn. It's clear that they are not going to be able to keep clear.

At 0:58 the tactician makes the worst decision of his life, he tries to prevent 40,000 pounds of boat from touching.

As I see it this was all on Blue. Camelot of course came up, but she was leeward. And RSS#11 is very clear. 'When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, a windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat'. And before this, RR#12 was in play 'a boat clear astern shall keep clear'.

Because of this (she had ROW the entire time) Camelot is not required to give Blue time or warning to keep clear. It's her responsibility to stay clear regardless. And any 'proper course' claim cannot factor, because Blue was windward (RSS17) and it's before the start and there is no 'proper course' at that time anyway.

I re-read the comments and lots of people picked up on the human interactions, and/or the lack thereof. I think that's the sad key to this story.
I agree with all the above and don't have disagreement with Blue's fault in the circumstance …. However! Take a close look at Camelot. This is what I see:

Camelot starts out to windward and in the clear ahead of Blue in the sequence and crosses over to the leeward side of Blue. So far so good …

At 0:41 seconds in the video, Camelot just comes into view from around the sail and they are making an aggressive turn to windward to avoid a leeward boat. They are barging because you can even detect that the leeward boat appears to take evasive action, just slightly. It looks questionable but to me it appears that the leeward boat makes a subtle swerve to avoid Camelot. I think that Camelot has now violated RRS 11 by failing to keep clear of the leeward boat.

At this point, Camelot now appears to be on a collision course with Blue. So Camelot can luff if they want and force Blue up, on this I agree. Also, Blue does not seem to react appropriately.

At 0:51 seconds Camelot turns down again - to the point where the collision appears to be avoided.
At 0:54 seconds Camelot suddenly swerves up again aggressively … starting a new collision course.

I couldn't tell if Camelot had to swerve again to avoid a leeward boat … if so, they were in danger of barging again.

By turning up, again, at 0:54 seconds wouldn't they be in violation of RRS 16.1? The leeward boat DOES have an obligation to provide warning and allow time for a windward boat to take evasive action if they intend to change their course and luff up. Clearly, there was no warning or time to avoid the collision after Camelot turned up for the 2nd time at 0:54 seconds. 5 seconds later, the collision is unavoidable and they hit at 1:00.

I go back to my opinion that Blue appeared to be on a legitimate course toward the boat end before Camelot attempted to force their way into a slot. I think that Blue might have been able to hold that course among all of the other leeward boats, but Camelot came into the picture and messed everything up. Tactician was communicating early on about the leeward boats and it seemed like he thought they could deal with them. Camelot came from outside the group that he was concerned about.

Also, if it is true that Camelot forced a leeward boat down and violated RRS 11, as I suggest happened at 0:41, and possibly again at 0:54, is it justifiable for them to cause havoc all around them by turning so erratically and finally luffing so aggressively toward Blue?

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The leeward boat DOES have an obligation to provide warning and allow time for a windward boat to take evasive action if they intend to change their course and luff up.
Per 16.1 the leeward boat only needs to give "Room to keep clear". That doesn't include a warning, just that the Windward boat have the room they need to "maneuver promptly and in a seamanlike way" to meet their obligation to keep clear. You make an interesting point, since Blue was unable to turn to Windward at :54, despite their attempts spinning the wheel. I'd say that Camelot did give room for Blue to make a "seamanlike" turn up, but Blue failed to do that because they were overpowered and did not correct. Good point though and I do wonder if Blue could have or did argue that they were not given room to keep clear.

Nov 8, 2010
OK fun! Lets talk about this at 0:42 onwards.

First, you have to understand what barging means, and that at 0:42 all boats except Blue are below the layline and in a legit place to start. Only Blue is overstood and is barging. No one else is. That is KEY.

The up and down interactions between Camelot and the other boats is very typical at racing starts, and is not indicating barging at all. Ideal starting requires a gap/space to LEEWARD of your boat. It assures both clear air and room for slighly foot off to accellerate. So how do you do this? You luff up, and widen the leeward gap. If this pushes a boat up, they must react. As windward boat you assume that is what leeward will do. Thats why you often hear calls of UP! UP! all over the starting line in good fleets. Boats are trying both to make room, and make room for boats trying to make room. Its all part of a good start.

Now here comes Blue. Overstood and REACHING in, she's going 100mph and trying to stick her nose in at the exactly last second at the boat. VERY dangerous. The line is being pushed up, as the other starting boats continue to luff, both to make room, and also burn time. Blue runs out of both.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
PI'd say that Camelot did give room for Blue to make a "seamanlike" turn up, but Blue failed to do that because they were overpowered and did not correct. Good point though and I do wonder if Blue could have or did argue that they were not given room to keep clear.
Good overall points. Re this one, no PC in the world would grant that argument at the starting line. At the start that really is your one job, to keep clear of leeward. You have to expect that the leeward boat can/will luff head to wind at any time, and leave room for that. Blue's problem is that they were REACHING in. At no point was she ever close-hauled. No way, room or time to turn up for a luff. Reckless and dangerous.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
BARGING. What is it exactly?

Well first, the term does not appear in the RRS. It is term used to describe boats that are ABOVE/windward the starting layline, meaning that they will need to reach into the starting area. Unlike boats sailing closehauled, they can be preventing from sailing into the start by leeward boats. Here is the picture.
No-barging-diagram.gif

All RED boats are below the layline and within limits can sail closehauled to the start line. BLUE (and any other boat up there) is above the layline and cannot start without reaching down because of the RC boat. At the start they are not entitled to mark-room. Camelot is the red/green boat. They are above close-hauled but OK, still below the layline and still on starboard. Blue must stay clear, and is screwed.

Ever see those Allstate Insurance TV ads features a guy called 'Mayhem'? That's this guy. Do this more than once at WYC and you can expect your fleet captain to come over at the party for a quiet chat.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
That's a good diagram to show the congestion. But based on the video, it did not appear to me that Blue was over the lay line. It appeared to me that they were close-hauled right from the beginning of the video and had a lane to the start line. I absolutely understand how the lane could be closed by the leeward boats and I also recognize that Blue has to anticipate any moves upwind by any of those boats. They certainly didn't react appropriately.

But it did appear to me that there WAS room upwind of all of those red boats. The problem was with Camelot reaching down the line and then being forced to come up abruptly because of their own attempt to barge. I did read that "barging" is not a term in the rules. It seems to me that barging is simply an illegal action only when it forces a leeward boat to give way. I thought that at 0:42 it appeared to me that one of those red boats was forced to avoid Camelot and therefore Camelot was already causing an infraction.

I still feel a little sympathy for Blue, even though I agree that they were wrong. I think, if not for Camelot, whom caused their own share of the problems, they would have had a clean start without barging. I didn't think Blue was impacting the Red boats. I thought Blue was mostly caught off-guard by the erratic moves from Camelot … and I think Camelot was attempting to barge and possibly did cause an infraction on a Red boat BEFORE they turned upwind on Blue.

Actually, I think that Camelot was also screwed and it should have been apparent to them long before they crossed over Blue. Camelot is the boat that I think should be labeled "Mayhem". ;)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
That's a good diagram to show the congestion. But based on the video, it did not appear to me that Blue was over the lay line. It appeared to me that they were close-hauled right from the beginning of the video and had a lane to the start line. I absolutely understand how the lane could be closed by the leeward boats and I also recognize that Blue has to anticipate any moves upwind by any of those boats. They certainly didn't react appropriately.

But it did appear to me that there WAS room upwind of all of those red boats. The problem was with Camelot reaching down the line and then being forced to come up abruptly because of their own attempt to barge. I did read that "barging" is not a term in the rules. It seems to me that barging is simply an illegal action only when it forces a leeward boat to give way. I thought that at 0:42 it appeared to me that one of those red boats was forced to avoid Camelot and therefore Camelot was already causing an infraction.

I still feel a little sympathy for Blue, even though I agree that they were wrong. I think, if not for Camelot, whom caused their own share of the problems, they would have had a clean start without barging. I didn't think Blue was impacting the Red boats. I thought Blue was mostly caught off-guard by the erratic moves from Camelot … and I think Camelot was attempting to barge and possibly did cause an infraction on a Red boat BEFORE they turned upwind on Blue.
They were reaching. Relative to other boats, and their sails were eased. Look at their main.

After getting down, Camelot was below the lay line and reacting to the other boats. Blue did none of that until the last 5 seconds before impact.

Oct 26, 2008
Yes, I see the main eased a bit below centerline. I still think they would have been ok, except for Mayhem, er Camelot. It's hard for me to recognize the lay line in that video, particularly when the leeward boats were obviously coming up higher than a close-hauled heading at various places. I'm sure there were a lot of the outside influences mentioned earlier that led to some irrational thinking and actions by Blue.

I'm still hung up on the fact that Camelot came from so far windward, even relative to Blue at the beginning of the video. It seemed much more obvious to me that Camelot was barging and had no place to go, yet they tried anyway. If not for colliding with Blue, wasn't it obvious that Camelot also didn't have room?

Was there ever a hearing or published discussion by the race committee for this instance. I'd love to read the opinions.

May 17, 2004
If not for colliding with Blue, wasn't it obvious that Camelot also didn't have room?
Disagree. Camelot easily fit between the RC and the next leeward boat. That's all the room they need to concern themselves with. It's not their responsibility to make room for anyone else to fit in that gap too. The only caveat on that is that if someone else gets between them and the RC they can't "run them into the wall" (eg push them into the RC when they're stuck between the two). Camelot didn't do that, they just turned up. Blue didn't even seem especially close to the RC to me just before the impact - they still had room to move that way and failed to do so.

Oct 26, 2008
Blue didn't even seem especially close to the RC to me just before the impact - they still had room to move that way and failed to do so.
On that I agree. It seemed odd to me that Blue didn't attempt to head up until it was too late. I'm guessing she was more focused on the start time than on the other boats. If she headed up earlier, she probably was going to cross over early, but at least avoid the collision.

Oct 26, 2008
All I know is that I don't want to be that guy that barges! I was reading that some race committees try to get the pin end slightly favored just to avoid a jam-up at the stbd end. Also, I was reading that barging is a common problem with inexperienced racers that focus on getting clear air at the stbd end.

May 17, 2004
It seemed odd to me that Blue didn't attempt to head up until it was too late.
That's what I thought at first too. Then Jackdaw pointed out the driver spinning the wheel to starboard just before impact, while the boat just went straight. It was probably too late at that point even if the boat had reacted, but it made a bit more sense that she was at least trying.
I was reading that some race committees try to get the pin end slightly favored just to avoid a jam-up at the stbd end.
I admit that when it's my turn to be RC for our local club I do set the pin end slightly favored. Much less "excitement" to not have a whole fleet pointed at my transom.

Nov 8, 2010

Actually, I think that Camelot was also screwed and it should have been apparent to them long before they crossed over Blue. Camelot is the boat that I think should be labeled "Mayhem". ;)
Do more starts Scott, and the actions of Camelot will start to look a lot more normal. That's the way most races start, and while I'd opine that they are not great racers or boat-handlers, they are working staying clear; their #1 job. It is not their job to watch out for boats reaching in at 9 knots looking to barge in at the boat!

Blue actually had room, but not time. Had they stayed up they would have crossed cleanly, but have been OCS. That's why I suggested big ease of both sails earlier to burn time when they had the opportunity to do so.

Nov 8, 2010
That's a good diagram to show the congestion. But based on the video, it did not appear to me that Blue was over the lay line. It appeared to me that they were close-hauled right from the beginning of the video and had a lane to the start line.
You have to understand I've seen this type of situation a million times, both in person and on video. We record every race from the same spot with the same camera. To a certain degree you cannot trust the camera angles (its a distorted super-wide-angle view) but you have to look at the boats, their relative positions, and trim. Its very clear that Blue is reaching, and over-stood (the two kinda go together). The other boats are below the lay-line; Camelot is late to that party but makes it. Don't think so? its self-evident in the fact that she starts well below the boat. No way she does that if she's over-stood when she starts the dial-up with the other boats.

Oct 26, 2008
I think it is possible that Camelot took the Tactician completely by surprise. At the very beginning, he was looking to the port side and focused on those boats. He was also looking down a lot, I suppose it may have been a timer or some other start line app. Camelot came from the stbd side and then was behind the headsail out of his view for about 20 seconds. All of a sudden, Camelot came into view and he was probably unprepared for it. I never saw Tactician glance in that direction early in the sequence.

I know what it's like to not see a boat behind the genoa. But the driver should have seen Camelot crossing and should have been thinking about where she was at and what she was going to do. Driver had a clear view of Camelot crossing ahead early in the video and should have been focused on knowing where Camelot was even as Camelot was obscured by the sails.