A start gone ALL WRONG

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Yes, you could protest. But perhaps a nice conversation over a beer later on their foul, with pretense to owing you a drink, or at least more room next time. NOBODY wants to be in a protest room, esp the committee. Prevention is always better than follow up, if you have someone on boat that can keep their head out of the boat and keep you apprised of what is/could happen you can hail ahead of time.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Only if you tried to turn up before they were jammed between you and the RC. You need to give them room to keep clear, which means they are entitled to room to avoid the RC once they're between you and it. If you tried to come up before that time and they prevented you, then yes you can protest.
Its a little bit more complex. They need to stay clear so you can turn in either direction and not immediately make contact. If they are so close that you cannot turn, then they have broken RRS#11, even if there is no contact.

Bigger picture, yes letting them know your intents, and acting early is best. Making a move once they are in there really starts to test the RSS definition of 'room'

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They need to stay clear so you can turn in either direction and not immediately make contact. If they are so close that you cannot turn, then they have broken RRS#11, even if there is no contact.
Yes, you worded it more precisely than I had. Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Thanks for the input Guys. In the moment, and right now, I was kind of proud of them for having the nerve to go in there and I certainly knew early enough that they were going to try it but for other reasons I did not want to turn up and close the door.
The question about protest was purely theoretical.
Dan