A question for owners of 320's hulls 1 thru 355,

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

Can anyone tell me about the shallow bilges in boats 1 thru 355 and if it's something I should avoid, I'm about to make an offer on a '94' 320. I will be pulling up the entire sole during the survey to look for water below the bilge. I could sure use some suggestions rather quickly. Thanks in advance.

R

R. Palaia

Call Catalina, I think there is a fix

If your survey shows that there is an issue, check out the 320 National Organization website, or call Catalina, I believe there is a fix for those early hulls. Roc

P

Peter Clancy

No Big Problem Here!

The shallow bilge in earlier Catalina 320's is not a serious issue. I own hull #222 with the shallow bilge. There is a "bilge tray" located on the centerline of the boat under the salon area. Pull up the inspection hatch in the cabin sole to access it. The bilge pump is located in the rear compartment of this tray. If you have a leaky stuffing box, water flows directly to the bilge pump pocket. When you heel sharply, it is possible that some water can spill over the top lip of the bilge tray into the hull area around the bilge tray. If necessary, this water can be extracted by removing the starboard settee cushion. It is possible to substantially eliminate the problem by installing a dripless shaft, dripless packing or just by keeping the stuffing box properly adjusted. Many C320 owners report completely dry bilges with these steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.