A Lurker no more...

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I joined this forum after reading it only for several months. Since I read only up to that point I chose the name Lurker. Well after 3+ years of contributing to the forum I figured the name no longer worked. Hence the change to VanIslandGuy which is also what I use on the cruisers forum.

Hope everyone had a great holiday. We spent 5 days without power after a crazy windstorm left 60,000 Vancouver Island residents in the dark. Very happy to have lights, good heat and internet once again.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Merry Christmas, Happy you came out of the closet. Love sailing around your island.
If your one of the brave sailors, you can join us in Vancouver BC for the boat show and SBO gathering. We are calling it Les and John’s Excellent 2019 Winter Cruise. Plan to arrive afternoon of the 8th. Meet and greet and view the boat show on the 9th. Head West to the Gulf Islands on the 10th.
PM me your joining in and I’ll see you in Vancouver with an SBO burgee.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A more preferable moniker, eh? Spent most of our cruising time on the east side of the Island. Have yet to venture out onto the west side. It would help here if you could narrow your location as the island is quite massive. That way you become more of a personality, for me at least.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Merry Christmas, Happy you came out of the closet. Love sailing around your island.
If your one of the brave sailors, you can join us in Vancouver BC for the boat show and SBO gathering. We are calling it Les and John’s Excellent 2019 Winter Cruise. Plan to arrive afternoon of the 8th. Meet and greet and view the boat show on the 9th. Head West to the Gulf Islands on the 10th.
That sounds like great fun. Unfortunately I'll be living in a hotel room in Toronto for much of February and March for my work otherwise we'd plan that provided the weather looks reasonable.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
A more preferable moniker, eh? Spent most of our cruising time on the east side of the Island. Have yet to venture out onto the west side. It would help here if you could narrow your location as the island is quite massive. That way you become more of a personality, for me at least.
Done, Ladysmith, BC is our home.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Stop in at the Maritime Society Dock. Just inside Slag pt. Middle dock. They have som interesting exhibits etc. Little bit of a uphill walk to town but not bad..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Admiral & I visited Ladysmith in August; stayed one night at the Kiwi Cove Lodge before rendezvous in Nanaimo w/ friends to travel to the Broughtons on their boat. Visited the Marina & had lunch at the little cafe there. Very nice spot. Probably strolled by your yacht!!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
There are three nice marinas in town
@VanIslandGuy yiu should Join @jssailem, @Ward H and myself for our winter cruise — hoping @Stu Jackson will join once we arrive in the Gulf Islands. Vancouver Island on the 8th or 9th ( I forget which ) for the boat show then weather permitting cross Georgia and maybe Clam bay or Thetus

Les
That would be fantastic, unfortunately I will be stuck living in a hotel in Toronto for most of February and March this winter taking courses for my job. This may be the first time we've missed the boat show in Vancouver in years.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Bummer. @Stu Jackson are you going to join us in the Gulf Islands or is it still too cold for a boat with no furnace (aka a californication boat)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bummer. @Stu Jackson are you going to join us in the Gulf Islands or is it still too cold for a boat with no furnace (aka a californication boat)
@LeslieTroyer: Yes, I look forward to it. Are you coming to the GI's before or after Vancouver?
Because of the recent power outage, I bought a second catalytic heater, so I can wear my shorts - you'll be sorry!!! :):):)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Georgia willing will be in GI on 10th of Feb. don’t yet know where to start, Theatus, Winter Cove, Annette Inlet or ????

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Meriachee as you can see from the post a PM to me will identify you as a committed participant in our excellent adventure. Then I’ll know how many to get from SBO. @Dave Groshong has no give backs. And I’ve been reminded that I’m now on a fixed income.
Hope that is helpful.