A Definitive Answer (YANMAR Gear Position)

Sep 1, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Seattle
I don't understand what this has to do with engines. This is a transmission question. My manual for the Hurth transmission recommends that the gear shift be placed opposite to the direction of motion. Reverse for sailing, forward for being towed backwards.

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Like healthcare reform

I find it extraordinary that there is still so much debate after such a definitive ruling. Can it be mere coincidence that this advisory came on the same day that the healthcare reform was passed?

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Apparently does not apply to Hurth just Kanzaki and non Hurth gear boxes. Of course on their larger engines with hydraulic gear boxes this also does not apply.
MaineSail,
In post #4 you said that the directive didn't apply to Hurth transmissions. Unfortunately I'm several thousand miles from my boat (1991 Passage 42), and don't know which type of transmission I have. I would expect it to be identified on the plate located on the transmission.
1. Is there another way to tell which type of transmission you have?
2. Did you get the Hurth exemption information from your discussions with the Yanmar folks?

Thanks for the great detective work. Count me as another one who has sailed over 40,000 miles with the transmission locked in reverse. Doh!

Apr 7, 2008
Beneteau 373 2007 Medford
I eliminated the problem by going with the Kiwiprop. Noticeably faster under sail, left it in neutral thus no starting issues and much reduced weather helm

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Does any one know the answer for an old Paragon SAO thats attached to a Westerbeke W30, I have the original owners manual for the engine and tranny and nothing is said about where to leave the gear while sailing.........I have asked this question before and didn't get a response.
any one?

Mar 27, 2010
Dehler 39SQ Seattle
I have an Auto-Prop. I have always put my transmission in forward to lock it. This is on the advice of Auto-Prop, not Yanmar. I manually overrode the neutral start switch, on the advice of Torresen Marine, so that I could start my engine in forward. This has worked well for years now. I guess I'm not about to change, as the Auto-Prop is very annoying when it is allowed to spin.

Gary Harklins

I have a Yanmar engine/saildrive and a Max prop. Max prop says that to get the prop to feather I need to be moving a few knots forward (sailing) turn engine off and slip lever to reverse. I don't think my prop would feather if I left the saildrive in neutral.

michael

Jun 18, 2004
NULL NULL -
I asked Yanmar in Japan and got a strange answer.
In Japan, Yanmar recommends neutral but reverse is acceptable. If the sailing in more than two-three days, then it should be neutral. Other than in Japan, it should be neutral since sailing hours other than in Japan area are often more than two-three days.
I do not understand why Yanmar is discriminating but this is the answer I got.

Elwin

May 31, 2004
Catalina 36mkII New London, CT
Fold or feather if you can

On purchasing a new Beneteau last year I was given the "final word" from Yanmar in bulletin form from the dealer. Keeping the tranny in neutral is fine at low speeds, but when really moving out at above 6 knots or so the vibration can really be felt, even by your crew.
I bit the bullet and spent my extra cash on a folding prop for this season and forward. BTW, after investigation went withthe Gori 3 blade.