A crazy story and a forewarning to those with cockpit drains and outboard rudders

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
We had some cray sailing weather last week. 25+ knots and 3ft waves. Between two different marinas and yacht clubs there mustve been 40 boats out ranging from lasers and 420's to 40 footers with carbon/kevlar sails. After some thrilling sailing the winds started to pick up. I started the outboard and proceeded to take down the main. When I got back to the cockpit I found the motor wasnt running. I restarted and it ran for a few seconds and died. Same thing happened a couple more times and immediately had the admiral call for a tow as we weren't sure what the conditions were in the harbor. The operator advised us to drop anchor. I got it ready but did not feel it was the best move to deploy while we still had a furled/reefed jib to maintain control. By the time I got back on deck every other boat was gone. I noticed a bit more play than usual in the rudder but we had more important things to worry about (or so we thought).

TowBoatUS showed up in about 20 minutes. Conditions had gotten much worse during this time. The captain circled around us to evaluate the situation. He came along side and tossed us a half inch line that was maybe 6' long and told us to tie it around our winch. Both boats were bashing against one another in the 4-5' waves and the wind had increased to an estimated 30-40 knots! As quickly as I could I wound the line around the winch. Wait, the line is sliding through my hands! Crap, I wound it the wrong way and the jib sheet is still on! I quickly remove all the lines. The two boats came crashing together again and I had to jump back to avoid having my arms crushed as the line continued to slide away. I finally get it wound correctly and with only a foot left I manage to crank it in between the waves. I tell the captain to start pulling us and before he could get to the helm we heard a small wood crack followed by a big popping sound. Our winch went flying through the air as I reached to catch it. It hit my palm and bounced off. I juggled it a couple more times before being forever lost to Davey Jones' locker.
At this point we looked up at the captain who had a look of shear panic on his face. This is not what you want to see when conditions are this bad! He was frozen for a good five seconds before he tossed the line back to us and told us to wrap it around the jib cleat.
I looked at him like he was crazy. I yelled back to him, "If the winch just broke there's no way this cleat is going to hold!". I didn't get a response and proceeded to do what he asked. I got it wrapped around and he started to pull us. No more than five seconds past before his line snapped!
Finally he starts prepping a tow line! Amazingly I caught it. He told me to put it on my bow cleat. The O'Day 25's have a small piece of fiberglass as backing and I attempted to yell back to him. He coun't hear over the wind and waves. I proceeded to crawl to the bow trying to keep my center of gravity as low as possible. I carefully take every step as if it's my last. One wrong step and I would fly overboard. Finally I got to the foredeck. I'm now laying on my stomach with my body sliding around with each wave. I placed the line through the bow eye and then wrapped it around a cleat. He yells something incoherently but there was no need for words. I knew he was asking if it was secured. I yelled back and gave a thumbs up. He hopped on the helm. His boat started to move. I braced myself against the bow pulpit as I watched the slack of the nylon line disappear. Our boat jolted as the line became taught. I waited, still gripping for dear life, until the line stopped jolting us around. Once again, I crawled back holding onto any solid object and very carefully placing each step. I finally get back to the cockpit and grab hold of the tiller. Our adrenaline was still pumping and we're still sliding around our seats but we're in high spirits. We joke around a bit and talk about what just happened. The waves are starting to smooth out as we make the 20 min trek back to the marina.
As we approach the inlet the captain calls us. I'm handed the phone and the first thing I hear was, "I didn't want to say this in front of your lady friend but that was some scary sh*t!". I laughed. We chatted for a moment. He apologized for the lost winch and I told him which slip I was in. The conditions were surprisingly calm in the harbor. I could've easily sailed in to this. Regardless, we were happy to be back at the dock. I peered my head over the transom and found one thing that shocked me and another that made me feel like an idiot. The shocker was the lower gudgeon (rudder bracket) was torn in two pieces! The other thing I found was the motor had been pushed to the side and the fuel line had come undone slightly. I pushed it in all the way, primed it and it fired right up. Ugh!

A couple of days later we returned and discovered that the gudgeon was on its' way to splitting into three pieces and that the nuts with literally no backing plates had pushed into the wood in the transom. We didnt see any sealant on the gudgeon. At this point I felt it was safe to assume that the wood was waterlogged. We put a new gudgeon on yesterday. I saw a drop of water come out when I tightened down the new hardware. I'd like to forewarn those of you with outboard rudders mounted below your cockpit drain before you lose a rudder. I've motored under normal conditions with just an outboard. It is very difficult to control the boat. It would've been nearly impossible in those conditions.

Secondly, Our captain was clearly more fit to piloting a tour boat that only goes out in perfect conditions. While most captains have more training and experience than us recreational boaters, do work with them to come up with the safest solution possible. Our captain panicked when he saw that we were a 1/4 mile away from shore. I was never scared as I knew how slowly we where drifting closer and we still had multiple options available to get us out of such a situation if needed (anchor and sails). Im also very glad I did not have to pull that oversized anchor up in 5' waves

Lastly, periodically check your motor if you're sailing in heavy conditions so any potential issues can be dealt with in a timely manner. Safe sails and have fun out there!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I would add the suggestion that you make a custom towing bridle so you dont need to rely on what others towing you have available. You would think a professional Towboatus contractor would be better equiped and trained ?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
When in such a situation the time that it takes for the towboat to reach us is time well spent diagnosing the engine fault. We can always radio back and cancel the tow. In quickly deteriorating conditions you were right in to make the call right away.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
We could always cancel was my thought as well. Later I thought about the fact that my could have potentially kept someone else from making it home safe. He had a call lined up before he finished with us and the coast guard had a helicopter out attending to another incident.

On the other hand I may have avoided a much more serious situation. Getting the main sail up in that wind would've been difficult to say the least. We where struggling to keep our bow pointed in the right direction with a small sliver of the jib deployed

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Glad you are ok at least. The other stuff can be managed. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always thought the only way to tow a sailboat was a wrap around the base of the mast. Nothing else on most boats has that kind of strength. A pro tow boat guy should know that, though they probably don't tow many sailboats.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@Project_Mayhem you earned your moniker. Thanks for sharing, it takes some courage to share your experiences and admit mistakes. Glad nobody was injured.
Another thing to note is that the Towboat operator is not "your" captain. I don't know how your boat's built, but I wouldn't take the towboat operator's advice about where to attach a towline on my boat unless I agree with him about suitability of the attachment fittings. He was initially planning a hip tow, so I get why he specified the winch, but is a hip tow wise in the conditions you described? (With 4 foot seas? Obviosuly not.) I would have asked him for a tow from the bow, as first choice. Obviously, that's what worked.
Also, @odaydokay has helpful advice, unless the mast is deck stepped and/or bow cleats are strong enough.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
I've towed 3 or 4 disabled power boats and I've always had them throw me their line after they secured it to their bow.
That way when I got them near their dock, or launching ramp I just had to take their line off my stern cleat and throw it back to them.

Using a motorless sailboat to bring in a disabled power boat is a bit of a hoot.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Most small sailboats that I've crawled in have some pretty heavy wood backing the bow eye. I kind of looked at him funny when he tossed me a line without a shackle but yelling back and forth was pretty useless at that point
His thought that the winch was the best place on the side of the boat wasnt wrong. What was wrong was to tie a short line with no stretch in 4-5' seas.
I did some post incident investigation and found the coming to be totally in tact! I pulled the female part of one of the sex bolts (yes, that's its' real name) and it appears to be mainly thread failure. It sure beats having to repair the fiberglass!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I've towed 3 or 4 disabled power boats and I've always had them throw me their line after they secured it to their bow.
I towed a disabled power boat under sail once. I sailed a slow circle around them and had them throw me their line, I didn't check that he had secured it to their bow first though and he had to let go when it came to the end. Next pass around he got it secured. I managed to do it all under sail until we got to their marina.
I agree with a line around a keel stepped mast being a good tow point but it does also need to be guided at the bow which can be hard to arrange in nasty weather. Maybe a loop around a bow cleat would do it. Glad to hear you made it back safely and thanks for the post.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
That way when I got them near their dock, or launching ramp I just had to take their line off my stern cleat and throw it back to them.

Using a motorless sailboat to bring in a disabled power boat is a bit of a hoot.
I towed a daysailer under sail-he thought it was cool to be towed by a boat under sail. Using the engine I have towed several powerboats and I think they were all embarrassed having to be towed by a blow boat.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Why don't they use a Kinetic rope for towing? Seems that would absorb the initial shock of the rope pulling tight, as well as the force of the waves much better and be much less liekly to damage anything.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Why don't they use a Kinetic rope for towing? Seems that would absorb the initial shock of the rope pulling tight, as well as the force of the waves much better and be much less liekly to damage anything.
You are absolutely correct. When he got out his tow rope it was made of thick stretchy nylon and there was 30-50' between our boats. It was plenty to absorb the back and forth movement from the waves. It was the first line that he tossed that was too short and had no stretch

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A bow eye is typically only found on trailerable boats. You generally don't find a bow eye on larger boats. You won't find a shackle on a towing bridle because most of the boats they encounter either won't have a bow eye, or the bow eye is so far under the bow (trailerable power boats) that it would be insane to attempt to attach a shackle in the kind of conditions that you encountered. What is typically far more universal is a pair of very rugged bow cleats at the bow of just about every boat they encounter. TowboatUS in our area gives you a bridle that has 2 loops, which are hung on both bow cleats. If that nearly universal attachment doesn't work, then they would still be prepared to improvise. These guys are typically very experienced and professional in my limited experience. You should be able to safely go to your bow and attach a bridle to bow cleats on your deck in just about any condition, even if it requires clipping into your harness. When you are sailing on Lake Michigan, you should be prepared. It isn't the same as sailing on Fox Lake!

I'm baffled as to why TowboatUS would first attempt a hip tow in this situation. That doesn't make sense at all, and I think I would have set that straight at the outset.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A bow eye is typically only found on trailerable boats. You generally don't find a bow eye on larger boats. You won't find a shackle on a towing bridle because most of the boats they encounter either won't have a bow eye, or the bow eye is so far under the bow (trailerable power boats) that it would be insane to attempt to attach a shackle in the kind of conditions that you encountered. What is typically far more universal is a pair of very rugged bow cleats at the bow of just about every boat they encounter. TowboatUS in our area gives you a bridle that has 2 loops, which are hung on both bow cleats. If that nearly universal attachment doesn't work, then they would still be prepared to improvise. These guys are typically very experienced and professional in my limited experience. You should be able to safely go to your bow and attach a bridle to bow cleats on your deck in just about any condition, even if it requires clipping into your harness. When you are sailing on Lake Michigan, you should be prepared. It isn't the same as sailing on Fox Lake!

I'm baffled as to why TowboatUS would first attempt a hip tow in this situation. That doesn't make sense at all, and I think I would have set that straight at the outset.
Your statement of the bow eye being present only on trailerable boats makes sense and explains why it has such a heavy backing. Once upon a time I saw the Coast Guard in 4' waves take a long pole with a line and some sort of clip on the end wait patiently for just the right moment and hooked onto a bow eye in a split second. It was impressive!

We were towed in Michigan City once when our outboard bracket broke. There was no way we could sail a mile down a river with two bridges. TowBoatUS was incredibly professional well trained and down to earth. Our tow operator had no business being on a boat in those conditions. He panicked when he saw we were "close" to shore.

I see you have some knowledge of our local sailing grounds! I'd love to get a small run about for the Chain O Lakes! Lake Michigan without a doubt offers a crazier weather. It's not for everyone. I enjoy heavy weather sailing and am aware that there is more that can go wrong. We check the weather before heading out. So far our boat has exceeded our expectations in handling heavy conditions. We've yet to see it's limit and we'd like to keep it that way. If I had to repeat this experience again I would sail in. Conditions in the harbor were very calm and there was easy access to an empty slip on our dock.

We have good life vests that can be tethered if needed. Thanks for mentioning the tether. I will start using it when crawling on deck in heavier conditions

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I see you have some knowledge of our local sailing grounds! I'd love to get a small run about for the Chain O Lakes! Lake Michigan without a doubt offers a crazier weather.
I grew up on Deep Lake and lived there, Glenview and in Chicago until my early 30's. Deep Lake is close, but not on the chain. The chain is crazy town. Blarney Island is just one example why. I've been on so many of the lakes in northern Illinois to southern Wisconsin, including Lake Geneva and other great places. I've also sailed on boats from all the harbors from Burnham to Montrose. In grade school & HS I sailed (girlfriends) Sunfishes from the beaches in Winnetka and Wilmette and later my Hobie 16 in regattas from Wilmette to Racine. I was pretty familiar for awhile!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Pistakee Lake is the most popular lake to sail on. While the traffic can be heavy at times, most of it is heading to the other lakes, rather than recreating there. I found that Sunday afternoons make for good sailing as most of the craziness has died down. Usually from about 4 to 6 pm, the traffic disappears and most of the boats are very spread out. While I've heard some complain, I've never had any real issues. Only once did I have someone come close by me at speed in a sweeping turn. Otherwise the power boats have always treated me with respect. The only thing I wish I could train them would be to stay on plane when they go by. As long as they are not aiming at me, the faster they go by, the less interruption it is.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We had some cray sailing weather last week. 25+ knots and 3ft waves. Between two different marinas and yacht clubs there mustve been 40 boats out ranging from lasers and 420's to 40 footers with carbon/kevlar sails. After some thrilling sailing the winds started to pick up. I started the outboard and proceeded to take down the main. When I got back to the cockpit I found the motor wasnt running. I restarted and it ran for a few seconds and died. Same thing happened a couple more times and immediately had the admiral call for a tow as we weren't sure what the conditions were in the harbor. The operator advised us to drop anchor. I got it ready but did not feel it was the best move to deploy while we still had a furled/reefed jib to maintain control. By the time I got back on deck every other boat was gone. I noticed a bit more play than usual in the rudder but we had more important things to worry about (or so we thought).

TowBoatUS showed up in about 20 minutes. Conditions had gotten much worse during this time. The captain circled around us to evaluate the situation. He came along side and tossed us a half inch line that was maybe 6' long and told us to tie it around our winch. Both boats were bashing against one another in the 4-5' waves and the wind had increased to an estimated 30-40 knots! As quickly as I could I wound the line around the winch. Wait, the line is sliding through my hands! Crap, I wound it the wrong way and the jib sheet is still on! I quickly remove all the lines. The two boats came crashing together again and I had to jump back to avoid having my arms crushed as the line continued to slide away. I finally get it wound correctly and with only a foot left I manage to crank it in between the waves. I tell the captain to start pulling us and before he could get to the helm we heard a small wood crack followed by a big popping sound. Our winch went flying through the air as I reached to catch it. It hit my palm and bounced off. I juggled it a couple more times before being forever lost to Davey Jones' locker.
At this point we looked up at the captain who had a look of shear panic on his face. This is not what you want to see when conditions are this bad! He was frozen for a good five seconds before he tossed the line back to us and told us to wrap it around the jib cleat.
I looked at him like he was crazy. I yelled back to him, "If the winch just broke there's no way this cleat is going to hold!". I didn't get a response and proceeded to do what he asked. I got it wrapped around and he started to pull us. No more than five seconds past before his line snapped!
Finally he starts prepping a tow line! Amazingly I caught it. He told me to put it on my bow cleat. The O'Day 25's have a small piece of fiberglass as backing and I attempted to yell back to him. He coun't hear over the wind and waves. I proceeded to crawl to the bow trying to keep my center of gravity as low as possible. I carefully take every step as if it's my last. One wrong step and I would fly overboard. Finally I got to the foredeck. I'm now laying on my stomach with my body sliding around with each wave. I placed the line through the bow eye and then wrapped it around a cleat. He yells something incoherently but there was no need for words. I knew he was asking if it was secured. I yelled back and gave a thumbs up. He hopped on the helm. His boat started to move. I braced myself against the bow pulpit as I watched the slack of the nylon line disappear. Our boat jolted as the line became taught. I waited, still gripping for dear life, until the line stopped jolting us around. Once again, I crawled back holding onto any solid object and very carefully placing each step. I finally get back to the cockpit and grab hold of the tiller. Our adrenaline was still pumping and we're still sliding around our seats but we're in high spirits. We joke around a bit and talk about what just happened. The waves are starting to smooth out as we make the 20 min trek back to the marina.
As we approach the inlet the captain calls us. I'm handed the phone and the first thing I hear was, "I didn't want to say this in front of your lady friend but that was some scary sh*t!". I laughed. We chatted for a moment. He apologized for the lost winch and I told him which slip I was in. The conditions were surprisingly calm in the harbor. I could've easily sailed in to this. Regardless, we were happy to be back at the dock. I peered my head over the transom and found one thing that shocked me and another that made me feel like an idiot. The shocker was the lower gudgeon (rudder bracket) was torn in two pieces! The other thing I found was the motor had been pushed to the side and the fuel line had come undone slightly. I pushed it in all the way, primed it and it fired right up. Ugh!

A couple of days later we returned and discovered that the gudgeon was on its' way to splitting into three pieces and that the nuts with literally no backing plates had pushed into the wood in the transom. We didnt see any sealant on the gudgeon. At this point I felt it was safe to assume that the wood was waterlogged. We put a new gudgeon on yesterday. I saw a drop of water come out when I tightened down the new hardware. I'd like to forewarn those of you with outboard rudders mounted below your cockpit drain before you lose a rudder. I've motored under normal conditions with just an outboard. It is very difficult to control the boat. It would've been nearly impossible in those conditions.

Secondly, Our captain was clearly more fit to piloting a tour boat that only goes out in perfect conditions. While most captains have more training and experience than us recreational boaters, do work with them to come up with the safest solution possible. Our captain panicked when he saw that we were a 1/4 mile away from shore. I was never scared as I knew how slowly we where drifting closer and we still had multiple options available to get us out of such a situation if needed (anchor and sails). Im also very glad I did not have to pull that oversized anchor up in 5' waves

Lastly, periodically check your motor if you're sailing in heavy conditions so any potential issues can be dealt with in a timely manner. Safe sails and have fun out there!
What kind (and size) winch did you lose?