A big fat thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2004
- - Newburyport, MA
This is a follow-up post an earlier one titled 'Diving in head first.' I wanted to thank everyone who responded with excellent, thoroughly and eloquently articulated advice. I have allot to contemplate, but reading your posts have given me a much better understanding of how these Cat 30 Mark II's are behaving in the field (so to speak). The hard part now is convincing my bride that we NEED this boat now!! She understands my undying passion for sailing, and in buying a newer, bigger boat, but it always comes down to that nasty little word 'money.' We have a 15 month baby girl at home and are planning another (baby that is-not 15 month baby girl). We live in a sailing mecca, and to not be able to take advantage of some tremendous cruising grounds in a roomy, reliable, and capable boat would just be, well, wrong! Thanks again for your words of wisdom......now if I could just find that perfect boat. Christian Sava

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
consider an older boat

Hello Christian, If money is a concern of yours (like it is for me, and I imagine most others) then you may want to consider an older C30. There is not much difference between the original boat and the mark II. If you can live with the original you will sale a lot of money. People trying to sell won't like this, but you can find very nice boats in the 1978-1985 range for around $20K. I just missed buying a 1983 that was beautiful, 11HP diesel motor, good sails and gear. It sold for $15K. There is another boat near me, a 1983TRBS, that you could buy for $15-16. It's not as nice as the other one, it needs new interior cushions, and the sails are original. Other than that it's clean and in good condition. And, if you wait until Sept to buy, prices will be even lower as people won't want to spend money to haul and store. Good luck, Barry

Jack W

Jun 4, 2004
- - Ventura, CA
Consider An Older Boat

Christian, If you do consider an older C30, my advice would be to stay away from the models with the 11hp 5411 diesel generally considered too underpowered for the size/weight of the boat. Not to mention it's raw water cooled and at this point in time you would be hard pressed to find a 5411 that has spent its life in a salt water environment that is in good conditon. Stick with the '83 and newer C30's that have the M-25 and M-25XP diesels. -Jack

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Check The Net

There are lots of good boats out there. Check these sites: www.yachtworld.com www.catalinaowners.com www.boatus.com www.ablboats.com ]

Status
Not open for further replies.