'83 Oday 28' Keelbolt Torque and...

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you could give. I am about to tighten the keelbolts on my 28. They're 3/4 inch bolts so, as far as I can tell, bolts of that size should be torqued to 95 ft lbs +/-. Does that sound right to any of you that have undertaken this project? Also, importantly I cant find any information about what material lies between the interior of the bilge and the exterior bottom of the keel stub. I have the original mannuals for the boat and they describe the layup of the bottom being solid glass. I'm hoping it isn't wood between the interior skin and the bottom of the stub but ?? Any information or suggestions you could give based on experience would be greatly appreciated.
Fair winds to all,
Bob S.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you could give. I am about to tighten the keelbolts on my 28. They're 3/4 inch bolts so, as far as I can tell, bolts of that size should be torqued to 95 ft lbs +/-. Does that sound right to any of you that have undertaken this project? Also, importantly I cant find any information about what material lies between the interior of the bilge and the exterior bottom of the keel stub. I have the original mannuals for the boat and they describe the layup of the bottom being solid glass. I'm hoping it isn't wood between the interior skin and the bottom of the stub but ?? Any information or suggestions you could give based on experience would be greatly appreciated.
Fair winds to all,
Bob S.
I don’t think that 95 ft lbs is enough…see attached thread.

I think that the 3/4” should be torqued to 160#.

But also as pointed out in the thread…specific torque values are not that meaningful in this situation because of the layup may compress.

I don’t really use a torque wrench on my O322. I have a torque wrench on the socket, and a 2’ cheater pipe on that and lean into it as hard as I can…. I can sometimes get a little movement….and consider it good enough.

On my 322, the stub keel solid glass as far as I can tell. Maybe someone with a 28 will chime in.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Pretty sure O’Day used just glass there. Catalina used wood, and when that rots it leads to the Catalina Smile, but I’ve never read about that kind of problem in any O’Day.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yes, O'Day used all glass in the keel stub (I've seen it). I had trouble determining the tourque setting for my boat (also has 3/4" bolts) - after researching, I settled on 115 ft/lb but I never found a specific O'Day recommendation. Catalina recommends 115 for their mid-30's boats. Some charts will say 160 for 3/4" bolts but I don't feel it is necessary to go that high. Having them all the same is more important.

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Thanks to you both. :)
Yes, O'Day used all glass in the keel stub (I've seen it). I had trouble determining the tourque setting for my boat (also has 3/4" bolts) - after researching, I settled on 115 ft/lb but I never found a specific O'Day recommendation. Catalina recommends 115 for their mid-30's boats. Some charts will say 160 for 3/4" bolts but I don't feel it is necessary to go that high. Having them all the same is more important.
Thank you! I'll have to explore the torque issue a little more. An engineering shop mannual was where I got the 95+ ft/lb thing but??. Given that we're dealing with, fiberglass, sealant, aluminum plates as opposed to washers there doesn't seem to be one hard and fast rule. 115ft/lbs across all the bolts "feels" better in my head than the 95 - a little more secur but again ???

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For reference, Sabre suggests 90# for my 1 ⅛" bolts. Stainless bolts may gall if over torqued, which is a bad thing. Also torque specs for dry and lubricated threads will be different.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What is more important than the specific torque is the clamping force generated by that amount of torque on that bolt size. I think you’ll find a 3/4 bolt at 95 ft-lbs is an enormous clamping force.
So F= T/k x D
F= lbs force
T= inch pounds
K= friction coefficient (.17 for lubricated steel)
D= bolt diameter
F= (95x12)/0.17 x 0.7
F= 5,029 pounds
This is just 1 bolt. If you have say 6 bolts you have 30,000 pounds of force holding your keel on.
Now your keel is a cantilever beam so say you have 3500 pounds of lead. The CG is maybe 2 feet below the keel joint, the Moment when the boat is heeling 90 degrees will be 3500 x 2 = 7,000 pound feet on the keel joint. Hopefully you won’t heel 90 degrees. At rest with no heel you have 30,000 pounds holding up 3500 pounds, a 8.5 factor. Most safety factors are maybe 2 so this is a very robust design.
now say your 8000 pound boat slams into rocks and stops dead with all the force taken by the keel. This is very bad, do not do this.

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Thank You Dave..very very useful information for sure..
Just to be clear about the last part, You're saying I should NOT hit a rock? ;) lol
Thank you!
Fair winds,
Bob

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
My neighbor many years ago rented his C&C 34 to someone. They smashed it into the rocks near Watch Hill. The keel was still attached but behind the keel there was a fracture through the laminate to the inside. The boat was salvaged but severely damaged.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My neighbor many years ago rented his C&C 34 to someone. They smashed it into the rocks near Watch Hill. The keel was still attached but behind the keel there was a fracture through the laminate to the inside. The boat was salvaged but severely damaged.
This is classic hard grounding against a rock. The force is transmitted and leveraged by the keel up into the hull aft of the keel. In a long frustrating story, I once briefly owned a boat that had this kind of grounding.

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Yeah ugh! Over the last 40 years, racing on a friends boats, I've been there for a few "sudden stops" , A couple of times, major damage, not only to the keel but the supporting hull structures as well. Very expensive ....

May 17, 2004
Bob, what am I missing here? 28s don't have keel bolts.
In the mid-80's they did have keel bolts with lead bolt-on fin keels. I think some of the earlier models might have been encapsulated instead.

tgzzzz

Mar 24, 2010
O'Day 28 Pamilco
In the mid-80's they did have keel bolts with lead bolt-on fin keels. I think some of the earlier models might have been encapsulated instead.
I think you are mistaken about the 28s, Cap. No biggie for me.I don't have them. That was a selling point, along with keel stepped stick.

May 17, 2004
I think you are mistaken about the 28s, Cap. No biggie for me.I don't have them. That was a selling point, along with keel stepped stick.
My family had an 85 28 for over 25 years. It had bolts. My parents were the original owner so it wasn’t some previous owner funny business.

According to the post at Encapsulated or Keel bolt 1985 O'Day 28 claiming to have spoken to Rudy at D&R Marine about it keels before 83 were encapsulated, 83 was bolt on iron, and 84-85 were bolt on lead.

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Just to be clear..Mine is an 83 O'day 28 and it definitely does have keel bolts. Also just as an aside my waterline stripe and all trim colors are green. I didn't think too much about that until someone pointed out they had never seen a stock O'day in anything other than the typical blue and off white we all see.

May 17, 2004
Glad I didn't bet on it.
I thought the same thing when I learned there were ones without bolts. I assumed given the similarities between model years in most other ways that they wouldn’t have changed something as seemingly substantial as the keel/hull attachment method.