Encapsulated or Keel bolt 1985 O'Day 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seekswind

I had posted a question regarding Fairing of my keel. Being new to sailing it was mentioned that the O'Day 28 has an encapsulated keel and is not bolted. However, I have read some contrary informnation on the web. Given that my boat is on the Hard and covered up for the Canadian winter can anyone provide a definate answer to the question. "Are the 85 O'Day 28's Keel bolted or encapsulated keels?" Thanks

J

Joe D

28 Info

Here is some more informatiom for you. There is a website that I will give you the link for. All 28's from 1979 to 1986 had encapsulayrd keels the last hull number was 507. In 1988 they made a 280 whis had a bolt on Keel. Go one step better call Rudy at D&R Marine 508 644 3001 he worked for Oday and can give any answer you need about your boat. So check your Hull number then you will know for sure. Hope that helps. http://www.iheartodays.com/

S

Seekswind

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe, Thank you very much for your help and direction

JoeD

Aug 31, 2005
Columbia 34 MKII Smith Point,VA
Check This

Please check out this thread about Keels. Read the last one on the page. Think this what your problem is. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/25864-oday-30-keel-concerns-new-member-here-too.html

S

Seekswind

Thanks again Joe

Maybe as I look at my keel (trying to take pictures)the filler for the flange is what I am seeing. As I mentioned before there is a straight line crack that runs on boths sides of the Keel. It looks much similar to that of a bolted keel before it is re-faired. However when I bought the boat last year on the hard there was no appearance of the cracking and the surveyor mentioned all was sound. Therefore I assumed that this was one of those maintence jobs I needed to learn. I appreciate all of your help in directing me to info. I will call Rudy tomorrow and see if he can help. Thanks

S

Seekswind

83 O'Day 28s went to bolt on Keels

Just a follow up given some great advise from Joe D. I called Rudy at D&R and he mentioned that O'Day went to Cast Iron bolt on keels in 83 and them moved to Lead bolt on keels in 84-85. Thanks Joe for prividing Rudy's contact info he was very helpful.

J

JoeD

I am glad

That you got the information that you needed. Also am glad to learn something new. Every sorce that I went to pointed in the wrong direction. That is why I gave you Rudy's number. I wish we could put all that knowledge he has in his head in the Data Base. He sure has helped me many times. That is why I buy from him whenever it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.