'81 Hunter 36 cockpit drain hose question (H37 similar?)

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
The hoses from the cockpit drains to the fiberglass tubes that serve as thruhulls on my '81 H36 appear to be original. They are a corrugate white plastic pipe which was also used for the water tank fills and vents and bilge pump.

They have been on my list for replacement for a while but now it is a must because the starboard one has a small leak that occurs when heeled over. Does anyone know what the original pipe is (what to shop for) and its diameter (looks to be about 1.5" ID) and/or have a recommendation for replacement?

Given that my leak only occurs only when heeled over I assume that the top of the fiberglass thruhull tube is above the static waterline. Does anyone know for sure?

One issue I have is that, given that the pipe clamps to fiberglass tube both at the thruhull and the cockpit drain, if I use a pipe that is too stiff I am concerned that both clamping it sufficiently and/or bending it once clamped could damage the fiberglass tube.

Also, if anyone has gone through this already I would appreciate any tips - particularly related to making the replacement while on the water.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
My cockpit drains were crossed over from side to side. That was standard. When I re did them I changed it so they went direct and have kept it that way since 2004 because although we get the occasional spurt of water up in heavy conditions at high speed, the draining performance is much better. The following is from a post I made at the time.

"Last Sunday I replaced the starboard drain to port through hull hose with some 1.5 inch Shields XHD series 148 hose that I had available.

I cleaned the barbs with some 220 grit sandpaper and then lubricated them with dish soap and the new hose just slipped on. Although this hose is not rated best for flexibility on the Shields website, I had no major difficulty getting it in place.

This is the easy side, the cockpit drain can be accessed through the starboard lazarette.

I don't know if what I removed was original, but I was surprised to find I could not tear it by twisting, bending, pulling etc.

I now have the new hose direct from starboard to port without the loop. We are going to see if there are any problems with water surging in in heavy conditions. If it is O.K. I am going to do the other side the same way. I am leaning towards Shields 146 series which is rated the same for flexibility but higher for toughness and below waterline use."

DCP_0480.JPG

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Thanks so much for the great info. Very helpful for my shopping.

In the interim, yesterday I took the hose off the fill line for one of my fw tanks (which was the same type of hose) and installed that in place of the scupper hose. It was too long but works for now. Both came off pretty easily and installing the temp hose was straightforward.

In the process I answered my own question re proximity of the thruhull to the WL which was very close. At my mooring with a small chop when I pulled the old hose off water would regularly slop into the bilge.

The source of the leak in the old hose by the way was an almost invisible pinhole in the top of it.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Sounds like you have your answer - just sharing a picture as to what we did a loooong time ago. The original hoses were replaced with 1-1/2" black hose. Here is a picture that I took some years ago when I needed to have the Rudder Stuffing Box rebuilt. You can make out the CP drain hoses on the left. We still have them criss-crossed, and I put an old rag in between them, where they touch each other as a quick anti-chafe protection. Probably need to check that now that I think about it...these have been in place for many years, no issues thus far.

Attachments

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Many thanks. The chafe guard is a great idea. I’ll definitely add that.

I got some new hose and am planning on installing this weekend. If it does as well as it’s predecessor it should see me out!