5200 or West Epoxy

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
This is whats left of the starboard side battery tray mount in my C.S. . 2005 vintage, gonna replace wood wether i need it or not. To reglue new pressure treated to hull, is 5200 or West epoxy better? This will be an always wet/ damp enverionment ,a lot of bouncing and banging around. I am leaning toward West, put down a thick layer so i can really squash the wood down into it, but will it adhere well to f/ g ? Gonna be a rough texture to deal with, hence wanting to squash wood down firmly.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No need to use pressure treated wood. Use a decent exterior grade plywood and coat it with neat epoxy. That will seal the wood and prevent deterioration.

It is not clear how this shelf is attached to the hull. A photo or two would help. Just using thickened epoxy might work or it might be better to tab the shelf to the hull. Need more information to be able to give a more informed suggestion.

This is definitely not an application for 5200. Perish the thought.

Jul 13, 2010
wood was glued to the hull, plastic battery tray was screwed into that wood.
Gonna wire brush remnants of old glue off of f/G hull but can't get too carried away, dont want to damage hull. photos perhaps tomorrow, late and dark here now. Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
but will it adhere well to f/ g ?
Not to clear how that bottom plate is attached to what but ................................. accidently dripped a few drops of epoxy (and didn't see it) on to recently waxed gel coat a few years back. Tried to tap the solidified epoxy off the gel coat and only succeeded in removing the gel coat beneath. Wound up sanding the epoxy down to the gel coat to get it off.

Having used System Three Silver tip on a number of exposed wood projects, I would suggest the first coat be thinned with 10% laquer thinner (to soak in) and the remaining three coats be 100% epoxy.

This is for System Three epoxy. They're all the same but be sure to read the literature first.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2010
The photo is actually the remnants if the ewood block thatcwas glued to hull and plastic battery tray, upside down. I will have to wire brush to remove remnants of rotten wood still remaining in the fiberglass. This is in a battery compartment under the jumpseat at rhe transom, not finished,exposed gelcoat to deal with.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The photo is actually the remnants if the ewood block thatcwas glued to hull and plastic battery tray, upside down. I will have to wire brush to remove remnants of rotten wood still remaining in the fiberglass. This is in a battery compartment under the jumpseat at rhe transom, not finished,exposed gelcoat to deal with.
If it is unfinished, it probably is not gel coat. Some builders paint the visible parts of the hull interior and only use gel coat in high wear areas like anchor lockers.

If the epoxy needs thinning to spread more easily, then warm the epoxy and hardener in a hot tap water bath. This is preferable to using any kind of solvent as the solvent may not completely evaporate and may affect the chemical reaction between the hardener and resin. Warming the epoxy will accelerate its cure which will reduce the working time before it gels.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I have used 5200 for a similar repair. Was still holding fine after 8 years when I sold the boat.

Jul 13, 2010
If it is unfinished, it probably is not gel coat. Some builders paint the visible parts of the hull interior and only use gel coat in high wear areas like anchor lockers.

If the epoxy needs thinning to spread more easily, then warm the epoxy and hardener in a hot tap water bath. This is preferable to using any kind of solvent as the solvent may not completely evaporate and may affect the chemical reaction between the hardener and resin. Warming the epoxy will accelerate its cure which will reduce the working time before it gels.
I meant to say NO gelcoat, i type too fast and edit too slow..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have used 5200 for a similar repair. Was still holding fine after 8 years when I sold the boat.
There is nothing inherently wrong with using 5200 particularly for joints intended to be permanent such as this.
Having said that, glassing in the shelf would serve two purposes:
1. Create a more permanent and structurally sound base, and
2. further protect the wood, regardless of what kind, from any degradation.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This is preferable to using any kind of solvent as the solvent may not completely evaporate and may affect the chemical reaction between the hardener and resin.
Lacquer thinner is recommended for for a thinner as per the System Three epoxy manufacturer. See page 11 of their manual. This is why I said to read the manual first.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
For a few bucks you can buy a molded plastic battery box to fit each battery and secure it to the boat with it's strap. I think that would be infinitely superior to a home made box, and probably much cheaper.

Jul 13, 2010
Update: Found 2 tubes of West in my supplies so decided to use it. Pressure treated board readily available. Wire wheeled and wiped mounting area, smeared board with epoxy. Useing the battery to wieght it down for 24 hours then will install plastic battery tray( with strap) with stainless steel wood screws. Thanks for a replies, appreciate very much.
20210919_142220.jpg

Attachments

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC

BTW, System Three also has a penetrating epoxy that is specifically for sealing wood or repairing rotted spots in wood. It is a 2 to 1 mix. I'm using to now to refurbish an old wood sailing pram. Nice product.

Jul 13, 2010
Good to know, still have a port side the same age! Thank you.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Another tip -- If you hate the typical boat battery straps, replace it with a ratchet strap. So much easier and faster. Trim the tail and put a knot in it to prevent it from coming out of the ratchet