466 rudder stock/post play

Feb 21, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 St Andrews Scotland
Hello everyone. I have sold my Hunter Passage 42cc Casper which lives in Scotland and I have the chance to buy a 466. I have been reading a few problems with the rudder and post. The 202 466 I am looking at, the owner has told me when last out of the water, the rudder could be moved about at the base Bush around 3mm side to side. He also said it does not affect the steering. Should I be very concerned about this?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
FWIW, my 1997 h40.5 has a bit less play than you describe. It has had this play some I first noticed in 2001 and checking each year it has not gotten worse. According to Eddie at the Hunter factory some boats have this play and some don't. It doesn't affect the steering at all. I asked about wear to the lower bearing and was told that for normal seasonal use it should last 50 years. I was told to stop worrying and go sailing.

Feb 21, 2014
FWIW, my 1997 h40.5 has a bit less play than you describe. It has had this play some I first noticed in 2001 and checking each year it has not gotten worse. According to Eddie at the Hunter factory some boats have this play and some don't. It doesn't affect the steering at all. I asked about wear to the lower bearing and was told that for normal seasonal use it should last 50 years. I was told to stop worrying and go sailing.
Great news, the way he told me it was 1.5 each way which would total 3mm . Thank you, good news so far, I am so exited as she looks beautiful

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Hunter 466 San Diego, CA
Agree that the play should not be an issue. Depending on your intended use (coastal vs offshore) you might consider carrying an emergency rudder. A number of large Hunters of this vintage have lost their rudders. (ours included) Also inspect the rudder tube for stress cracks. After 25k miles we noticed stress fractures at the bottom of the upper bearing. A couple of wraps of GRP later all is good with no further issues after 3K offshore and coastal miles.

Feb 21, 2014
Thank you. It means a lot to me. I like the yacht and want to go ahead with the purchase of it. I was worried about the rudder play although the owner has told me he has had no problems with it. Great!

Feb 21, 2014
Hello again Terry. Thanks for the info, I am beginning to feel quite positive about the purchase of the 466, I have put a deposit down. It is the old carbon fibre stock☹

Feb 21, 2014
Terry, one last thing. What are the big bars for that form part of the mast support rigging? They perhaps from the deck chain plates, go up the mast 10-12ft or so. Can you see them in the photo? Bill

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Not sure, Bill. I've seen them before on other newer boats. Do those bars go up to the first spreader? Our boat has stranded steel cables on both sides that connect from the deck chain plate to the first spreader mast connection similar to the bars that you show in the photo. Our cables are there to reinforce the mast at the lower spreaders. Just all part of the standing rigging. Just my opinion, Bill. Can think of no other reason.

Feb 21, 2014
Okay. Well they can only add strength to the already standing rigging to beef matters up. Okay, thats for the natter. Good sailing to you. Bill

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What are the big bars for that form part of the mast support rigging?
It maybe the "Cutter" rigging extra support. The extra headsail force needs it.
If so, the forward headsail is called the "Yankee" , and the second is called the "Staysail"
Jim...

PS: I have friends with one. They say better performance than the standard Sloop rigging.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2014
Hello James. I have seen a few 466s with them but, not many. For a cutter rig I thought generally the mast is placed further back but, I really just don't know. Okay, its a thought but, not really concrete. Thanks for the suggestion. As you are on the coal face over there in the , perhaps there is an email address I could contact (maybe the manufacturer) to find out for sure?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here is a 466 with "Cutter" rigging.
Photo_1.jpg

Two Head sails and In-Boom furling for the Main Sail.
Great looking boat!

If you have a similar picture , you can tell.
Also, I suspect those bars are there for the "option" of Cutter too, even though your candidate boat may be a standard "Sloop".
Jim...

Feb 21, 2014
Wow!! That is nice and a lot like "Wings of Gold" My wife has always liked that colour. You've been a great help. As I perhaps mentioned. I have put a deposit down and I see no reason why soon I should not become the owner of a 2002 466 which I will rename Casper. Again, thanks. Bill

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Terry, one last thing. What are the big bars for that form part of the mast support rigging? They perhaps from the deck chain plates, go up the mast 10-12ft or so. Can you see them in the photo? Bill
Scally, et al
The "big bars" appear to be the same as the mast struts that Hunter/Selden specified on mid 30 ft boats (late 90s, early 00s) with conventional (not in-mast furling) main sails. You can see them in the attached picture

090.JPG.

They were designed to help stabilize the lower part of the mast as the mast cross section was smaller since it did not have to accommodate the furling setup. Big warning in my manual not to sail without them installed, but can be removed at the dock. They go into compression on the leeward side.

I assume they serve a similar purpose on the big boats.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2014
Fantastic Ed, that answers that; I am learning. I am most grateful to you and looking forward to getting my hands on her. I have been watching a YouTube series of a family sailing a 466 and they have several times had problems with the in mast furling. I have always had slab reefing and am happy enough the one I am purchasing is the older traditional single line reefing. Bill

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
they have several times had problems with the in mast furling.
Not the furling Mechanism fault, but the crew handling the Mechanism.

Once learned, I never had a problem with mine. To me it is Safety Equipment.

Why?

Infinite main furling [no reefing] that can be done within the Safety of your Cockpit.

Safe Sailing
Jim...

PS: In-Boom Furling is also Safety Equipment!