40.5 racing the 2017 Swiftsure International Yacht Race

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle

Here's a short video of a 40.5 in action racing in the 2017 Swiftsure International Yacht Race -- a 33 hour adventure of sailing, drone flying, nap taking in the strait of Juan de Fuca…

A 1993 40.5 Hunter Legend, she’s certainly not even close to being the fastest but she’s never afraid to go rumble with the big guys. What she lacks in speed, she gives in spirit, and in stride. Our course, one of four long races, is a 101.9nm stretch on the waters of the strait of Juan de Fuca between Victoria, BC and Neah Bay on the Washington coast at the Pacific Ocean. It took us one day and 9 hours to finish, including an 8 hour anchor lull. We placed 5th in our class with smiles all around.

Read more about the Swiftsure here: http://www.swiftsure.org ; you View our track (or any boat) here: http://tracker.swiftsure.org ; select "Pardon My French" in the yacht list and hit replay.

Apr 10, 2016
Hunter 466 Atlantic City
That asymmetrical spinnaker is nice, where did you guys order it from if you don't mind me asking?
Dennis

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
That asymmetrical spinnaker is nice, where did you guys order it from if you don't mind me asking?
Dennis
Hi Dennis - Found it (slightly) used at North Sail of Seattle. It's designed for a 40 hunter and a bit too small for the tall rig of the 40.5. Am thinking of switching to a larger one. If I do and you are interested in purchasing mine ... let me know.. :)

Apr 10, 2016
Hunter 466 Atlantic City
I wish, it would be to small, what did you guys pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
I see you guys don't use whisker pole, how do you properly rig it? Just wanted to do the same thing.
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Very nice seeing a 40.5 out on the course. I haven't raced in a couple of years, but did very well in class over the 18 years I have owned her.