37C Cabin top core thickness

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Hoping to fix a spongy section on my cabin top soon. Can anyone tell me the core material and thickness? I'm assuming it is plywood, and guessing 3/4 inch. Could someone confirm (or deny)?

Thanks in advance!

Manny

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
An owner with the handle "Mathurin" posted a lot about repairing the deck and cabin core a few years ago. Some of the links he posted are in the "H37C Knowledge Base" sticky at the top of the Cherubini Hunters sub-forum...and some of the links are broken :( but here is one that works and gives some info: H37c Porthole Rot Fix (Updated)
There is also some info (in French with some English - scroll down) on the Mathurin II blog: Les rénos
The core is indeed marine plywood and is generally ~3/4". In some places, like around the mast and at the aft end of the cabin, there are aluminum plates bonded in (for attaching winches, cleats, etc.). If the area is small, you may be able to get away with injecting epoxy, as described in the West System epoxy manual. If the area is larger, the best solution is to carefully cut off the outer skin, remove and replace the damaged core, and re-glass the skin, fill and paint.

Last edited:

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Thanks Jim! I have tried injecting epoxy on my previous boat and didn't have good luck with it so the plan is to cut the cabin top at the soft section, clean out the core, replace with new wood, and put the top back on. Then bevel the edges where i cut the top and put down some mat. The nice thing is my non skid is painted so it will be easy to make the repair disappear...

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Pull apart one of your dorade vents and you will see the coring for measurements. Or access by removing some fittings and probing the depths. My coachroof is 1/2 inch blocks of marine ply, swelled to 5/8". When it goes soft I will rebuild with balsa. I recommend re-skinning with 1707 stitchmat. It is strong and the buildup is fast. Polyester resin is appropriate for this application.