37 Cutter Portlights

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Three times I have replaced the lense of the portlight over the galley stove. This particular opening seems to break readily and I am tired of wasting money on the Grey/Pompanettes. I am considering a Newfound Metals Tri Matrix. Has anyone in the 37C community had experience with these? Opinions?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Tightening them down too much definitely cracks them. The Beckson ports fit in the same size hole and seem to be better finish quality to me.

May 7, 2013
Hunter 37 Cutter Deltaville
I went with their full SS portlights. I’ve slowly been replacing them, and in the process fixing core rot.
F5301907-80C3-4889-B047-B621F61925C1.jpeg
452C803D-98FB-4E18-8FA0-FD6F52F3828C.jpeg
21DE4278-367E-455F-88EC-F51551652B20.jpeg
238904B7-60DA-4374-8F63-9E011730AB44.jpeg

May 31, 2007
Yes, Dave - tightening too much breaks them. However, 10 of the 11 have survived me just fine for at least 10 years. Only the one over the stove seems extra vulnerable.

Ventuse - definitely handsome windows and nice installation. I am still curious about the Tri Matrix.

May 7, 2013
Hunter 37 Cutter Deltaville
I originally planned on using the Tri Matrix ports, but when I measured the thickness of the hull it was too thick to use them.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Three times I have replaced the lense of the portlight over the galley stove. This particular opening seems to break readily and I am tired of wasting money on the Grey/Pompanettes. I am considering a Newfound Metals Tri Matrix. Has anyone in the 37C community had experience with these? Opinions?
@sandpiper10471 In 2016 I installed 10 Newfound Metal Trimax portlights. 6 in the main cabin, 2 in the head area and 2 in the vee berth. It was not an easy job, it took about 3 months of weekends, complicated by fixing lots of old water damage and inclement weather.

They function well and every time I look at or through them (we paid the extra for glass) I am happy.

If you decide to go this route I would be happy share some hints and tips. PM me if you wish.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
If it's always the one over the stove, maybe the problem is caused by the stove. Maybe shield the portlights from the heat when you cook? Cardboard is cheap...

May 31, 2007
Thanks for the thought, Dave. I suspect that might be the case although I haven't heard others report, so perhaps I did not get a perfectly flush installation when I recored the coachroof sides. Not sure insurance would like me to use a cardboard heat shield but the concept is fair.

Aug 12, 2020
Hunter Cherubini 37C Pasadena, MD
Hi @sandpiper10471 - thanks for the pictures here. I'm replacing portlights in my 37c. I'm told there's a step by step guide somewhere, but I can't find in the forums. Do you have any guidance?
First time replacing. When I bought the boat the owner had bought a full set of the old grays plastic portlights new, so I'm using those - though I'd prefer the metal.

May 31, 2007
From memory, since this is my second Cherubini, I suspect that guide comes from Grey Enterprises. My first I replaced with all new. The current vessel came with newly installed but badly done. New portlights installed over rotted core is never going to work!

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
We used NFM a handful of years ago as replacements for all the port lights. They function and last much better then the original, and really transform the look of the boat. Quick to open and close/secure. They do take some adjustments to get them "right". However we are in the process of re-bedding them because the yard that installed them (I was deployed at the time so had a yard take care of it while the boat was on the hard and getting some deck rot repaired) didn't use butyl tape and they pretty much all leaked. They tried to make it right but never really fixed it. They are heavy and need a solid/good core to mount properly - I think the problem was much of the core is bad in the port openings and these can't seat very well. I re-bedded one with butyl tape and it doesn't leak Iuckily it was one of the few ports that had sound core though). So I need to take the time and re-do the rest and build up the core. I plan to use closed cell foam pieces soaked in polyester resin as a new core material. My father used wood but said it was a painful process of shaping it to fit, plus it may rot again....so it'll take a lot fo work time to do it - but I recommend them.

Attachments

May 31, 2007
Chichi - those look soooooo good!
Foam soaked in poly as coring. That is a new one on me! And I have worked with glass and cores for a very long time. Could you please elaborate on the type/brand of foam please?

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Thanks sandpiper...I've never worked with foam - but it would be the same stuff they use as a core replacement for decks. My plan was to use Divinycell H80 Grid that Jamestown Distributors sells. Just seemed like an easy thing to shape in order to fit the irregular voids I expect to find when I remove the ports. It may be a terrible idea, but figured it is worth a shot. Or just fill with a lot of resin/filler like Ventuse did.

Brazil

Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 37C Forked River, NY
Previous Owner replaced all portlights (11) with rectangular TriMatrix from New Found. I've had boat 4 years. One (next to but not over oven) is badly crazed. Another has 3 cracks in upper corners. Just discovered plastic frame of the small one in head has broken completely through. Spoke with Richard at NFM. He alerted me to importance of adjustment, so I need to attend to that. He says the plastic is an ASA copolymer, so no solvent weld solution. He is shipping a replacement with frame, acrylic lens and springs for about 1/2 cost of entire unit.