361 where in boat is the dock AC inlet fuse ?

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
Need to know where the AC incoming fuse is.
Was using power washer with on board AC power when it fused... washer suddenly stopped.
checked Dock power supply ok.
No AC on board , no power to battery charger, microwave or plug table lamp.
may need to replace in coming AC fuse but not sure where and don't want to open up stuffs unnecessarily.
Electrician too busy even not yet coming to sort out my batteries redundant terminals.
thanks.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
just discovered that my 361 depends in dock breaker and one breaker on panel under chart table.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
AND get a 30 to 20 adaptor plug.
Guan you don't specify whether your boat is moored in Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA. If BC and your travels are limited to North of the border than the 20A to 30A will not be needed (otherwise yes) but a 15A to 30A will definitely be required.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
L
just discovered that my 361 depends in dock breaker and one breaker on panel under chart table.
Legally, there should be a fuse or a. breaker inside the hull, more likely a breaker, very near the shore power receptacle. In the process of looking for it, when located, I would consider replacing it just due to its age.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This isn't normally in my wheelhouse, but I've owned enough boats to know what to look for.
There should be two breaker panels--one for the 12v devices and one for the 115v (or whatever it is in CA) AC equipment. Each one should have a main breaker that turns all the breakers on the panel off. It would be very unusual on a US built boat to have separate AC main breaker next to the shore power inlet fitting, but I can't rule out the possibility that there might be one on a foreign built boat.

Fwiw, there's a limit to the number of AC powered devices that can be in use at the same time...too many overload the circuit, blowing the main breaker. On one of my own boats, the microwave was one too many when the water heater and air conditioning were on at the same time. Turning the breaker off for the water heater till I was done using the microwave allowed me to restore power. We just have to learn to pick and choose what needs to be on when there are only 30 amps available.

--Peggie

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Newer boats 2012 and up must meet ABYC regs and that a ELCI breaker 30amp (RDC) be installed on main line into boat trip on 30ma within 100mlsec. This is in addition to the main usually 30amp breaker. Most insurance companies are now requiring they be installed on older boats. When they first came out many were part of the shore power inlet ,but are now a separate panel. I installed mine in panel at nav desk before main AC panel on a DIN rail. If boat has Isolation transformer it must be installed within 10 ft of shore power inlet
Its similar to a GFI ,however the neutral and hot wire must be balanced within 30ma or it trips usually a ground fault. A GFI plug trips at 5ma . This is to stop people in marinas from getting fried going into the water from leakage from a boat. If your boat kills someone you could be held liable
ABYC E11.11.1
An Equipment Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ELCI) or Type A Residual Current Device (RCD) shall be installed with or in addition to the main shore power disconnect circuit breaker(s) or at the additional overcurrent protection as required by E-11.10.2.8.3 whichever is closer to the shore power connection.
EXCEPTION: Installations where an isolation transformer is installed within 10 feet (3 m) of the shore power inlet or the electrical attachment point of a permanently installed shore power cord and supported according to 11.14.4.1.3
11.11.1.1 The trip level shall be a maximum of 30mA. The trip time shall be a maximum of 100ms.
11.11.1.2 This device shall meet the requirements of UL 1053 Standard for Safety for Ground-Fault Sensing and Relaying Equipment and the requirements of UL 943 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters with the exception of trip level, trip time, and grounded neutral detection or
11.11.1.3 IEC 61008, Residual current operated circuit-breakers without integral overcurrent protection for household and similar uses or IEC 61009 Amendment 1 - Residual current operated circuit-breakers with integral overcurrent protection for household and similar usesand IEC 61543, Residual current-operated protective devices (RCDs) for household and similar use - Electromagnetic compatibility.
NOTES:
1. Trip levels of less than 30mA and times of less than 100ms may result in nuisance trips in certain environments.
2. If included, the circuit breaker must also meet the requirements of E-11.10.2.
3. IEC compliant RCD’s must be rated for 125, 250 V 60Hz applications.
11.11.1.4 The ELCI or RCD shall be readily accessible.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It would be very unusual on a US built boat to have separate AC main breaker next to the shore power inlet fitting, but I can't rule out the possibility that there might be one on a foreign built boat.
The ABYC standard is that “If the location of the main shore power disconnect circuit breaker is in excess of 10 feet (three meters) from the shore power inlet or the electrical attachment point of a permanently installed shore power cord, additional fuses or circuit breakers shall be provided within 10 feet (three meters) of the inlet or attachment point to the electrical system of the boat. Measurement is made along the conductors.”

Our 2014 Beneteau (built in the US) has dual power inlets for a house circuit and air conditioning. Both circuits are protected by a set of breakers in the aft lazarette within 10’ of the inlets. There’s another breaker under the starboard setee in the salon (for at least the air conditioning circuit; can’t remember if the house circuit is protected there too), and a set of breakers at the nav station.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The ABYC standard is that “If the location of the main shore power disconnect circuit breaker is in excess of 10 feet (three meters) from the shore power inlet or the electrical attachment point of a permanently installed shore power cord, additional fuses or circuit breakers shall be provided within 10 feet (three meters) of the inlet or attachment point to the electrical system of the boat. Measurement is made along the conductors.”
How old is that standard? I'm only asking because both of my last two boats were built before 1990 (1985 and 1979), yet both more than met that standard...the breaker panels on both of 'em were less than 5' from the shore power inlets. I also had GFIs in three locations--the galley receptacles near the sink and and the one next to the sinks in both heads. So depending on the age of that standard, those two builders may have been way ahead of their time.

I'm not challenging anything you're saying...I said when I jumped in here that this subject is way outside my professional wheelhouse...now I'm using it as an opportunity to learn something new.

--Peggie

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The version of the standard I found was dated 2008. I don’t know if it was added then or if it was around earlier than that.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
The version of the standard I found was dated 2008. I don’t know if it was added then or if it was around earlier than that.
The one I quoted was 2015 , I don't think the 10ft rule applies anymore. Regardless one should think about installing one , age of boat should not matter safety does and liability

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My 2006 USA built Beneteau has the additional circuit breakers inside the lazarette, within a couple feet of the stern mounted AC receptacles.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
wow so much knowledgable input from what I thought was a little query... really great.
I really learned a lot from everyone.
most grateful again. thanks everyone.

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
I think the circuit breaker on my 2004 B232 is over 10’ from shore power receptacle.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fullbore..
" the circuit breaker on my 2004 B232 is over 10’ from shore power receptacle."
I am guessing here, :biggrin: but I think it would be nearly impossible.. :yikes: On a B323 maybe...:cool:

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
On my 2002 361, the main AC elec panel was mounted below the chart table. I am sure it was more than 10 ft from the shore power receptacle. But I installed an ELCI breaker and galvanic isolator in the port lazarette close by the two shore power receptacles a year after I bought the boat.
DSCN0867.JPG

There was also a separate breaker panel for the air conditioning, forward of the chart table on the port side in the recess area:

DSCN0855.JPG