36 foot Hunter Anchoring Questions - Chain and Rope Ratio

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
Like Jeff I dumped the delta and switched to the Rocna - huge improvement! I went to all chain after our flotilla got hit by a downdraft storm that in seconds melted a 5/8" nylon rode on one of our boats. We carry 200 ft of chain and I use a nylon snubber when anchored
Those Rocnas look like they're amazing anchors

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Those Rocnas look like they're amazing anchors
yes! a number of our friends have switched and they are incredible! we anchor in a spot with really bad holding (behind little snow island in ME) and the first time we anchored there with the Rocna we followed their directions - drop anchor, put out 2x scope when it hits bottom, start backing against it and hold on - my crew didn't, and when the rode came up tight the boat just stopped and he went flying. I've never dragged with it

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
yes! a number of our friends have switched and they are incredible! we anchor in a spot with really bad holding (behind little snow island in ME) and the first time we anchored there with the Rocna we followed their directions - drop anchor, put out 2x scope when it hits bottom, start backing against it and hold on - my crew didn't, and when the rode came up tight the boat just stopped and he went flying. I've never dragged with it
can't wait to try that with my crew :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I've got a 36' Catalina i went with 4x chain and as much rope as I had (250') -- I alway use a bridal with a snubber, and the "rope" is 8-plait cause it coils so easy -- new anchors are great - Ronca, Mantus, .. I went with Mantus - love it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And Les has had his boat out, at anchor, in 40knot breezes holding against strong tidal currents, Off San Juan Island, and another off Hope Island in PacificNW waters.

The Mantus anchor properly rigged and set can help you get sleep at night. Even with this trust, I still set a good anchor alarm. Trust but verify.

There are a lot of things out there trying to spoil or should I say give you an experience. Kelp bed balls, loose sand, pebbles, strong currents, heavy winds all conspiring to surprise you as your boat skitters across the anchorage towards the rocks. :yikes:

Have fun. Anchor safely.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I'm in the process of replacing the inadequate ground tackle my H38 came with. I had Miami Cordage make me up 200' ACCO domestic G43 spliced to 50' 8-plait rode for a new 25kg Rocna on the bow, and 150' 8-plait spliced to a thimble that I'll connect to 25' G43 for a 16lb Fortress for the stern. Crosby 209A 3/8" galvanized shackles.

I think the weak point will now be the cleat in the anchor locker :)

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Ok. Put the new anchor chain and rode on today. Went with 150' of 5/16" G4 chain spliced to 50' of 5/8" nylon rode. I have a nylon snubber. Going to keep the old 35 lb delta on it for now to judge the improvement, and will go to a Rocna if I need some more holding power.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone.

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
I use 60 Ft of G4, wish I had 100. I also have 150 Ft of 8-plait 5/8". Stuff is amazing, get 3x the rode in your locker and never have twisting issues.

Is there an acceptable way to add chain anybody?

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
I use 60 Ft of G4, wish I had 100. I also have 150 Ft of 8-plait 5/8". Stuff is amazing, get 3x the rode in your locker and never have twisting issues.

Is there an acceptable way to add chain anybody?
I had the same question. I think the windlass is the issue. Adding chain may cause the windlass to jam at point where you add the extension link

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I had the same question. I think the windlass is the issue. Adding chain may cause the windlass to jam at point where you add the extension link
There are links designed to go through a windlass. I had one on my chain when I bought the boat (25' of BBB joined to 25' of G43). It was SIGNIFICANTLY rusted through while the chain itself was only marginal :|. idk if that is a problem endemic to all such links or just a poor choice on the part of a PO

I bought all new 200' ACCO 5/16" G43 spliced to 50' 9/16" 8-plait and a new 25kg Rocna original joined to the chain with 2 back-to-back 3/8" Crosby 209A bow shackles.

I retained 25' of the original G43 and bent to 200' 9/16" 8-plait spliced to a stainless thimble and joined together with another of the above mentioned shackles. I'm using a Fortress FX-11 on that. It's never been wet as I'm working on a system to deploy it (bow roller repairs).

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
How do you rig it without a backstay?
L
How do you rig it without a backstay?
Put a small line on the tack and tie that to the top of boom, use the topping lift line to run to the head of the riding sail and use the topping lift line at the mast to
come back to the riding sail.
Tighten the topping lift to get the back edge of the riding sail tight and cleat down, pull line from front of riding sail and cleat tight.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
This week we're finally in the thousand islands near Kingston and will get lots of chances to see how my new anchoring system works. Will upgrade to a ROCNA if I'm still having issues. thanks for all of the advice!

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
The absolute best money I have ever spent was on a Mantus anchor. I think other "new generation" anchors maybe just as good or maybe better. When I had a Hunter 41DS, it would sail at anchor and drag. Once I replaced the stock Delta with a Mantus, I never dragged the anchor again. Boat still sailed at anchor, but it was no longer a problem. On my present Hunter 50, first purchase I made was a Mantus anchor, upgraded windlass gypsy from 5/16 to 3/8 chain and ordered new made up chain/8 plait anchor rode. Now all I do to anchor 90 percent of the time is JUST drop the anchor. I do not use an anchor alarm and I sleep soundly.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Even if you have a 3rd gen anchor (rocna/mason/mantus etc) technique is still very important. They aren't magic lol You can'd just throw them out and forget about it. Something I knew intellectually, but had to properly learn when I got my own boat.

For example I dragged 50% of the time with my properly sized rocna on 5/16" g43 chain at 5:1 or better on my trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Hilton Head until I figured out my technique for anchoring in soft fluffy mud, which is different than sand, shell, clay etc.

So don't assume because you're dragging a new anchor will solve it, or inversely that if you drag you anchor is junk.

lol Listen to me acting like I know what I'm talking about, I'm a complete novice.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Now all I do to anchor 90 percent of the time is JUST drop the anchor. I do not use an anchor alarm and I sleep soundly.
Scary! I'd never attempt that. Maybe I just scared myself too much early on having to replant the hook in the middle of the night in Daytona Beach. I always use at least 1 anchor alarm, record the drop via gps, back down on the anchor to set it, and monitor it for at least half an hour before I call it good. I'd even consider diving it except I've been sailing in 0 viz water full of 'gators lol

Even then I automatically wake up at least twice a night and check, even when on a mooring ball, and once even in the slip when a storm came through.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Yes the problem is the weather forecast sometimes isn’t right.

ive had the wind shift 180 degrees and go from 5 knots to 30 knots in the middle of the night. All of a sudden my protected cove wasn’t so protected anymore.

anchor let go and I ended up in the sand.

not what the weather man called for lol

no damage done, and it was a couple of years ago, but bad things can happen even when you follow the rules

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
no damage done, and it was a couple of years ago, but bad things can happen even when you follow the rules
My issue is patience. Its not something I'm well known for lol

I found that attempting to set my anchor in the super soft fluffy mud you find a lot in the AICW, at least where I chose to anchor, requires some. I'm in short supply.

I was dropping the anchor, drifting or idling back to ensure the all chain rode was straight, snubbing at 5:1 to try and get a bite and doing everything the books say, and just not getting a good set, settling for it, and dragging later.

I found that after I lay out the rode if I just let it lay there for half an hour and then do the power set its great.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Ok Happy to say 2 nights and no dragging. Storm coming through tomorrow with high winds so gonna find a protected cove and hope the streak extends to 3 nights!

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
As a confirmation to what a 44 lb Rocna, chain and bridle can do on July 2nd in Aberdeen Creek off the South River a storm hit when we were anchored that also spawned a tornado 2 miles away. We saw winds of 55 knots, heeled us over when it first hit and settled straight back and never moved. 6 of the 7 boats with us held, most with next gen anchors...
Glad we have it but you need to know how to deploy it.