33 Strut and Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
The boat is pulled for a bottom job and to document the 33 prop shaft strut and the modified rudder - here are pictures of both parts which are normally under water. The strut was made by Dahmer Marine Hardware Company - Part Number H-33 (new part number 2005). It is still in their product listing. This is their site:
http://www.dahmermarine.com/

Next is the squared off rudder which was shortened by 7" on the bottom and widened by 7" on the tail edge. This rudder steers the boat very well and backs up well too.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Good for H33 owners Paul. Maybe you could archive that in "Hunter Owner Mods".

Jun 2, 2004
Stephen, I am completely confused on the strut issue. My strut looks exactly like Paul's. But then I checked a few weeks ago and could not find any numbers that made sense. I posted pictures of the strut over on another thread. You really can't read the numbers but guaranteed they don't match anything on the Dahmer site: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=125951

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
It is not the same strut although the design is similar. The prop shaft on the 33 is one inch. It is more than that for the 37. I do not know who makes the strut for the 37. I am replacing the cutlass bearing in the strut. The yardman showed me one he is working on today. It came apart in pieces. I hope mine fairs better...

Jun 2, 2004
Not true Paul. All the Cherubinis used a one-inch shaft. If you measured yours I would bet it is the same as mine. And it is a Dahmer.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Thanks, Ed. Then this strut would at least fit the shaft. The original prop on the 33 was a 14 x 12 two blade. I put a 13 x 11 three blade on, in part to allow more water between the hull and the prop. Doesn't the 37 use a 15" diameter prop. I guess dependent on the hull shape there might be enough room. I am seeing where your confusion is coming from now.

Feb 1, 2011
Hunter 27 Olympia
Just an FYI I do believe Dahmer marine is no longer around. Website is still up but I could not get a hold of them with emails or phone calls. I thought it was just me, but the boat repair service in the yard said they went under.

Jun 2, 2004
Yes, I think anyone who needs a strut is aware that Dahmer is gone. On the thread in the link below two other companies are referenced but I have not checked with them. Mostly we are in the investigative mode, no one on this thread needs one yet.

Paul, I meant measure the strut like I did in the link( http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....d.php?t=125951). The more I look at your pictures the more alike our struts appear. It would be good to know how many of us have the same dimensions in case we need to have some made. As for prop size you are right, the picture of my old folder is of a 15". But your picture seems to have more than enough room for a 15.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Did measure the strut today. It is the same as the Dahmer Marine part number H-33 listed on the web site and displayed below.

Attachments

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Marine industry "build lists" have never been chiseled in stone. Parts and assemblies change based on availability and price. In this case it looks to me like Hunter changed to a longer strut in mid model run to acomodate a larger diameter prop. Good luck getting any information out of Hunter. As we know, all data from the Cherubini era was made to disappear.

Ed's strut certainly looks like my H-33 strut. Ed: If you want I can send my slightly bent one out for you to compare to the one on your boat. Also, for whatever its worth Ed, from the pictures, yours is not mounted in the standard manner. It appears you have studs coming out of the hull with nuts on them holding it up. Same way I mounted my new, un-bent strut. Normal mounting was flat head machine screws going up into the hull, I think with nuts and washers.

Jan 2, 2008
For what its worth department:

1- As I am about 6 miles from where Dahmer is supposed to be I just called the number. The good news is it rings. The bad news is it is answered by a machine as of 2:30 today, Friday.

2- We close here at 2:00 on Fridays (a gift from our CEO) so I'll try to remember to drive by there on the way "down the shore".

3- I'm old and forgetful so anyone wants to send me a reminder it would be good.

Jun 2, 2004
Well I guess you have gone home Sam. Did you drive by Dahmer? Not true about my strut. I did at one time rebed with new stainless bolts, larger fender washers, and locknuts. But the nuts are on the inside, flush on the outside.

My measurements almost exactly match part number 2051 on the bottom of the Dahmer site: http://dahmermarine.com/Struts.htm .

Attachments

Jan 2, 2008
6:00 and still at work. Will be here till midnight, painting safety walkways on the floor and supervising installation of a doorway. The run to Dahmer will have to be next week. I want to stop by doring working hours when there's a chance they would be there if they still exist. That makes it next Friday.

Jan 2, 2008
Paul;

This whole rudder squaring thing starts to look more interesting.

Questions:

Do you feel you got an improvement in steering response? Especialy down wind in waves?

Did you see an increase in steering effort at the wheel?

When you cut the 7" off the bottom did you hit interior metal of the interior skeleton variety?

Did you add anything to the forward edge?

How did you lay on the glass to cover the open bottom and keep the added portion flat and true?

Did I miss any questions?

Sure would be nice to know that when I bounce off the bottom again I won't have to worry so much about straighteneng the rudder again.

Sam

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
Rudder modifications

Paul;

This whole rudder squaring thing starts to look more interesting.

Questions:

Do you feel you got an improvement in steering response? Especialy down wind in waves?

Did you see an increase in steering effort at the wheel?

When you cut the 7" off the bottom did you hit interior metal of the interior skeleton variety?

And here I am to set the cat among the pigeons:
Paul F
I see you have the same model as my boat (H33- 1982)
I understand the cutting 7" off the botton, but it looks you did something to the top, where it joins the keel: on my boat, it is flush to the edge, but yours protrudes quite a piece towards the stern: hou much more?
Does it help?
Were you able to modify the old rudder to what you have?
I am interested: it will help towards NOT hitting bottom as I did soon after I startyed sailing!
Thanks

Did you add anything to the forward edge?

How did you lay on the glass to cover the open bottom and keep the added portion flat and true?

Did I miss any questions?

Sure would be nice to know that when I bounce off the bottom again I won't have to worry so much about straighteneng the rudder again.

Sam
Paul F,
I understand the part of you cutting 7" off the bottom, but did you use the old rudder to modify to it's present state?
Mine is flush to the edge of the keel, but yours protrudes a bit aft!
How much more?
Does it work better?
Jorge

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
The rudder was modified by an experienced fiberglass boat repair company - American Boat Works in Tarpon Springs. I was not around when the repair was made. They installed a new rudder shaft as I was told that it is not a good idea to use one that has been bent and then straightened. As far as I know they did not hit any metal when they cut the bottom seven inches off. The way the tail end was extended by seven inches, was by applying slabs to both sides and then glassing in to smooth. I know this because the slabs were separated a small amount when I last had the boat,s bottom done. That yard refastened the slabs and they are as one piece as you see in the photos. The bottom of the rudder is sold and it is hard for me to tell if they also added a slab there too or if they used a fiberglass mat to close the bottom after cutting it.

Sailing with this modified rudder is as good or better than the original. Steering effort at the wheel is not any greater that I can tell. It is likely that there is more effort but it is not significant. Again only the trailing edge was extended so I would expect there to be more steering effort but I can not notice the difference. Sailing downwind does not seem to be a problem. But I only do that in a channel. When in the open water I sail at an angle to the wind. The rudder is very good on that point of sail.

Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for the info, Paul. Now I have yet another project to add to the list. Dammit!

Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
The PO on my H36 cut 4 inches off the rudder. Why? I don't know. When the boat was hauled I discovered the rudder was bent. We pulled it and the cost of repair was $300 less than a new one ($2000). I have decided to get a new one. Water around here (Pensacola) can be shallow, maybe this is why they cut the rudder down. Is this common to shorten rudders?

Status
Not open for further replies.