2GM20F Engine overheating

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I fouind on my 2GM20F that a 22 caliber gun cleaning rod with a bore brush fit perfectly. I didn't even remove it from the engine, just removed both caps and cleaned it out. It was a snap once I finally got everything apart.

Ken
I'm not familiar with 22 caliber size but would that be like 5.56 round of M16?

Apr 26, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Lake Quachita
Thanks for all of the good comments. Found thr missing impeller lobe in the line to exchanger. Removed it and ran the engine for 30 min with no overheat alarm. I think it's fixed. On to the next problem!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Thanks for all of the good comments. Found thr missing impeller lobe in the line to exchanger. Removed it and ran the engine for 30 min with no overheat alarm. I think it's fixed. On to the next problem!
thats great that you had such a simple fix.......has anyone noticed reading all these threads on repair how it seems to be more detective work than anything else

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After 30 years of successfull industrial trouble shooting here is my Order of Battle....

1) Check the alarm sensor
Buy a $6 digital cooking thermometer or laser pointer. Run your engine till alarm. Listen for the water burping in exhaust. Shut down engine. Quickly touch or laser the anti-freeze tank. Open the fill cap slowly to prevent hot sprayback, stick in thermometer and if it is about 160-180F
Then... it is the Sensor/alarm.
If cool anti-freeze/fresh water, then go to step 2.

2) Check the ocean water system flow
If you heard no spitting/burping in your exhaust in step 1, then it means little or no sea water flow.
Pump impeller replacement is not JUST impeller to the standard rubber flex vane pump. You have a wear plate and a paper thin gasket, if not right, that pump will "by pass". If the old pump impeller had missing rubber... ouch.:doh:
Clean your pump stainer. BTW the '4" water' means that the top of that hose is at least 4" below the Actual Water Line. If it was say 12" below AWL you have a restriction from that hose back to hull. In other words you can measure pressure drop (restrictions) by inches of water spout relative to AWL.

3) Sea Water/Anti-freeze heat exchanger
If sea water flow is good then this should not be the problem...
If not, that has to be pulled/cleaned of fouling from crud or rubber impeller parts (see above comments and tips).

Why did I do 2 & 3 before the next part 4+? It is a toss up, but i think routine required maintenance is easier to check and clean before engine component work.;)

4) Replace your thermostat
I would do it new versus test. They are very cheap and you get renewed.

5) Get a Mechanic
Sorry but it highly unlikely that the anti-freeze coolant system beyond a full liquid/theromstat is the problem. and the rest "aint routine":eek::cry:

We have all been there probably with vehicles or boats...
Good luck
Jim..

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
While I was writing my dissertation above, you fixed your problem:doh::redface:.

Glad you gotther done.
Jim..

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
.223 should fit

So if I get a cleaning rod that's made for m16, it'll fit the Yanmar heat exchanger tube?
I haven't tried with an M-16 rod, but the .22 rod had plenty of clearance. The M-16 should be a .223 inch diameter so I would think it would be just fine.

Ken

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Strangest one I have come across, buddy found a headless eel stuck right at the intake to his impeller.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Should we even ask where the head was found :confused:.
please let this one drop. Boats used to have grills over water thru hulls, but few have the extra expense of that now. Unfortunately now innocent wildlife gets needlessly killed and clogs up things everywhere.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was helping a buddy work an overheating problem on a raw water cooled, Yanmar 2 QM 20 .. We found most of a small fish in the thermostat.. On another friend's boat, found a weak suction hose between the strainer and pump that would collapse at high RPM.. On my boat, I had the bad gasket on top of the strainer. It would leak air into the suction side at high RPM but not leak water when engine was not running.. Puzzles to solve.. like Soduku, only better.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Not to play one-up-manship Kloudie, but I once found a condom blocking the through-hull intake. Whoever discarded it overboard surely had more fun than I did getting rid of it.