270 vs 28mkII

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robby

I'm trying to decide between a new 270 and new 28mkII. Is there anything that really makes one better than the other, or do you strictly "get what you pay for"?

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Size

Rule of thumb...bigger is better. Buy the smaller and wish, in a year or two, you had gotten the larger.

D

Don

270/28mkII

Both are nice boats. The 28 has more room below. I believe the 270 has winches on the cabin top and restricts you to a small headsail. The 28 has winches on the cockpit coamings that I personally like better.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Havre De Grace, MD
how about sailing performance?

I own a 270 and have no experience with the 28, but if I can cut in here, I would be interested in the differences in sailing characteristics between the two.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
270 has icebox and 28 has refer, depending

on location a 270 will fit in a 25' slip which are available in my area. Don't know about the 28's but my 270 sails very well, when properly balanced it will practically sail itself to windward. I have had instances of others remarking how I'm able to get a little closer to the wind then they can in their boats. I gotta think the boats handle very much the same but wouldn't mind researching it if someone nearby has a 28? Also my 270 barely has headroom for me and I'm under 6', if you are tall you might want to check on that. Most people tire of a boat quickly if hunched over all the time.

Jun 2, 2004
Size

C28 is 1'1" longer in LOA, 1'6" longer in hull lenght and 6" wider. All the specs are here: http://www.catalinayachts.com/

Feb 26, 2004
- - Portland, Or.
It sounds like you must be working with a dealer.

Does the dealer have one of each in stock? If so, and the dealer thinks you are a serious buyer(i.e., put down a deposit), the dealer should be ok with taking you on a sea test for both. Besides the different length of the water lines, displacements and beams, the sailing characteristics of each will be impacted by the kind of keel (fin or wing), whether the boats have tall or standard rigs and what kind of prop the boat has. Ideally, you would sail each boat in the same or similar wind conditions to get an accurate comparison. If you're buying new, it is the perfect opportunity to compare whatever the dealer has in stock. Then it is just a question of which boat you like the best.

R

Robby

Thanks

Thanks to all who have answered with thoughtful comments. I'm looking at the spec sheets and the 28 has only an inch more LWL but is more than one ton heavier. Can I assume the 270 is faster? My dealer (Seattle) has none to sail for comparison. Why would I get or not get a tall rig? Finally (excuse my ignorance) what do the I,J,P,E numbers mean? Thanks again. Robby

Jun 2, 2004
Sailplan

I just did a check on sailplan measurements, I'll put them here and let somebody else address your other questions: SAILPLAN MEASURMENTS I is the distance from the point where the top most jib halyard (and usually the headstay) meets the mast, to the deck at the sheerline (not the top of the house). J is the distance from the point where the headstay meets the deck to the forward face of the mast, at deck level. P is the length of the mainsail luff, from the head of the sail to the gooseneck fitting (or, on same racing boats, between black bands). E is the length of the mainsail foot, from the clew of the sail to the gooseneck fitting (or, on some racing boats, between black bands). LP is the distance from the clew of the headsail to the stay it’s set on, when the line between them is perpendicular to the stay. Note how the LP will vary when the clew of the sail is moved up or down.

R

Robby

sailplan measurements

Thanks, At Ease. These measurements seem somewhat arcane always to be included in the specs. Robby

J

John

biger is better

I like the 28 better it is much bigger and I like the head in the center of the boat I think the 27 is faster but ive only been on older boats I like the walk thru transom on the 28' Im not sure if the 27 has that Ive never seen one.The cockpit is wider on the 28 and i dont like the counter under the ladder on the 27 and the v birth is smaller on the 27. biger is allways better. John

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Bigger is always better...

I love that line. Now you'll have to excuse me while I make my regular trip to the local WaWa in my Ford Expedition:)

R

Robby

which is faster?

Does anyone think a C270 is faster than a C28 since the 28 is 2000# heavier but only an inch (LWL) longer?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Faster

In addition to those statistics, Robby, you'd have to include looking at the sail plan. If the 28 is heavier, I'd bet the sail plan would be significantly larger. Stu

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
PHRF Comparison

The database is small, especially for the C270, but; A quick Google on PHRF ratings shows the C270 about 200-210 seconds per mile. The C28 is about 175-200 seconds per mile. The ratings vary greatly due to different configurations (tall mast, wing keel etc….) For comparison, the C27 is somewhere around 215.

R

Robby

?tall rig

Thanks, Stu and Jon. Looking at PHRF on google, the C28 looks a little faster (in general) than the C270. Why would one NOT get a tall rig? Robby

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Not Tall Rig?

Maybe if you're sailing in a predominately high wind area like San Francisco? If one has a tall rig, you can always reef. We had a tall rig, fin keel C25 in the generally moderate to light wind Pacific Northwest and wouldn't have it any other way. It's hard to add much sail area to a short stick.

W

willienate

28/270

I'd suggest a careful comparison. I own the 270. It has it's disadvantages, no coaming winches, small head, rear cabin is difficult to get into. But for my purposes I love it. I'm sure the 28 has problems too, but you get the room. I'd suggest you try to get out on one of each to do your own research. It's strictly a personal judgement call. Nate Jackson C270 Dragonfly

R

robby

270/28

It turns out Catalina no longer makes the tall rig. Since the 28 is so much heavier (2000#) and only a tiny bit longer (LWL), am I going to have a hard time sailing a 28 vs a 270 with flukey lake winds?

Status
Not open for further replies.