26R project---Mission Complete!...well...almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Right On! said:
Thanks MacNcheese!...i actually used the all stock rotating Mac 26M hardware for the spreaders and mast base and just converted the hobie mast over to the new hardware. The actual install is easy, as the eliptical shape of the hobie mast is almost the same as the stock 26M mast.
I'll get you some pics soon of what the Mac stuff looks like...works pretty well
Thanks John! Would love to see how you did the conversion of your tabernacle and base of mast.

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
yeah..i bent the rails with a pipe bender..
I'll get some pics up soon

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I'm digging the decal too!
looks like a fast little sled, do you have a kite?

How does the rail feel? pretty solid? do you have a ladder?
and did you take off the stock side rail?

do you have the stock daggerboard?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
yeah..i bent the rails with a pipe bender..
I'll get some pics up soon

That is real nice. Do you have a link to the bender you used by chance and the tubing. Most of the cheaper pipe benders I've seen crush the tube and that doesn't looked crushed. You using a higher end mandrel bender?

I also like that decal :dance:,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
That decal on the rail looks great! So does the one for the fish.
I've seen the same shape rail at Princess Auto here in Canada. I have stood in front of them for quite a long time thinking of how I can make them work. I'm pretty sure they are aluminum though. Your set up just did it for me. I think I will put a rail or 2 across the back for my solar and the BBQ. Maybe attach it to the side rail the the front so I'n not putting too many new holes in it.

Oct 31, 2010
Thanks for the compliments all....i worked really hard on this thing...when i put it up on blocks last fall to peel the anti-fowling paint off, I took and extra 3 days and flat blocked all the blisters and imperfections off before i primed and painted.

The pipe bender was not high quality one. I broke the handle off the first one, but I was hell bent on finishing the project. I wouldn't recommend the bender I used. the piping IS slightly flattened around the outside corners.

Yes..I do have a kite.
Yes..I did take off the stock rail.
the new one feels solid enough..not wobbly
Yes..I do have a ladder, but it is not stock, its bolted to the transom like the stocker though
Dagger is stock..but it too has been flat blocked and then faired to almost perfection.

I would love to add a solor panel set-up across the new stern rails but have no idea where to start for wattage and type etc..I saw a 60watt panel and controller for $699 and it made me give up on the idear now.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26D-RS :D
I would like to see more pic all around, when you have time.

fwiw, Francois made a stern back rest with 2 planks running across his stern rails. looks like you could do that if you wanted.

looks sharp!

Sumner and Walt have nice solar setups, might search their posts. and Sumner's website is becoming a go to resource for just about anything.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I've seen those stern rails before. Aren't they the handrails for re boarding.
Hey Right On; Have you done anything with your rudder? It looks as if it isn't stock. I have a 0018 modified 11 3/4" (length) It is a bit longer/deeper than stock too. I'm running stock sails and keep getting rounded up! (Broaching)
How do you with what looks like even more sail area do it? Or do you broach too?
I am letting the main out a bit but I loose allot of power/speed.
You need to add to the leading edge of the rudder. I added 2 1/2" to mine and what a difference. You need that added leading edge to act like a trim tab in front of the pivot point of the rudder. I just came back in from sailing in wind of 14 gust 22 knts. and have no problem with rounding up. Last year I would have had sooo much pressure on the tiller I could hear it creak. The boat will still round up, but in a slow and controlled way. It also holds course much better now. This along with a reefing system were the best mods I've done as far as sail and boat handling go.

Oct 31, 2010
I put this folding kids table down below and it seems like it will work perfectly...the legs fold up completely flat on the bottom.

Also found these LED portable Nav lights at wally world for $28. they'll work perfect for me because i filled in all my mounting holes for my stock Nav lights right before i painted.

In the pic that shows the stanchion bases...if you look closely you can see the old mount holes from where they used to be. much more room now to go forward...also removed the winches too. that whole area is now much more open. If you don't use your winches, take em' out and use some Marine-tex to fill the holes. keep em around for the next guy just in case!

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Which halyard has the camcleat? spin?

internal halyards! sweet.

-you might be able to improve that rudder a bit... theres a pic on the macgregor-owners board of a modified rudder there now.

Oct 31, 2010
the cam cleat at top of the mast is for the main sail. couldn't make that one internal because of the wat that it works.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Cool! I saw a 26 D with a rotating mast at the Havasu meet in February. Worked very well from what the owner said. Roller bearing thrust washers on the mast pivot made it rotate with hardly any effort at all.

Chris

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
holdech said:
Cool! I saw a 26 D with a rotating mast at the Havasu meet in February. Worked very well from what the owner said. Roller bearing thrust washers on the mast pivot made it rotate with hardly any effort at all.

Chris
Hey Chris, that was my 26 "Andiamo". The bearing is still working good. I checked it the other day for wear and there is some on the base plate but not on the bearing.

When I installed the RM base I used the locking nut to attach the old mast base to the new base plate. When I tried to remove it to add/remove washers I snapped it off.(note to self, use oil on bolt/nut to remove). I got another RM base and this time I drilled a hole in the bolt like that on a axle and used a pin to lock the regular nut in place. Now I can adjust the tension on the bearing with washers from work so there is very little play.

The RM is a very good mod and I really see a difference in light winds. Sailing around the lake at 5-6 plus knots is easy, 6-7 is exciting and I have hit 8 plus but that was DDW.

holdech - great job!

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Doc_holiday said:
How are the stays and shrouds handled on a rotating mast?
Download the manual for a 26M. They are moved to the front of the mast and are attached with "D" rings. The spreaders don't move, the mast moves. Note the photo.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.