26R project---Mission Complete!...well...almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
sorry for the late reply,
the 26M's deck slope is steeper than that of the classics. So here is what i did to compansate for the difference. I flipped the RM hardware "side brackets" so that the holes would be higher off the deck to push the rear end off the foot higher to keep it level.
My mast pretty much has no visible rake when its in the water and my washers arent being pinched in the RM base, so its just about spot on from what I can see.
The first pic is a random shot from the internet showing the "side brackets" in thier stock position. Take a close look and you will see that mine are on their opposite sides in the second pic.

Attachments

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Thanks!
You and Roril have been very helpful with all of these questions! I'm seriously considering making the change to RM while I'm finalizing everything, rather than try to take it all apart once I've put it all together, just to take it apart and do it again later... I just haven't told the admiral yet! ;)

Is that a track for a self-tacking jib in the pictures you just posted?

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
your welcome...yes that is the track for the self tacking jib...which i love. its like going from a 5 speed in your daily driver to an automatic transmission..you just turn the boat when its time to tack and everything flips to the other side.
glad to be of service..let me know if you have any other Q's

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Right On! said:
your welcome...let me know if you have any other Q's
John, thank you for answering our questions. Could you please tell me how long your side stays are? I have the same mast as you (off a Hobie 18) that is 28' & 1". The Hobie side stays I salvaged are too short.

I suspect the length of your side stays will be almost the same as mine if I subtract a little (half inch?) because your tabernacle base raises your mast a little higher than mine (mine is the old style 88 tabernacle that came with no base plate as you can see from its picture: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53883&d=1341011229
Thank!

Last edited:

zjtr10

Jan 11, 2010
macgregor 26S Odessa
I would love to add a solor panel set-up

We might be able to work something out here :dance:

I saw that you made your new rudder and I would love to have a "new & improved" rudder. I have a 75 watt solar panel that I would trade for a rudder. Drop me a note and we'll see what we can work out.
jnsnwt at hot mail is a good address for me

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hey Mac and Cheese. Your boat would have came with a bottom plate on tha mast. If I recall your boat didn't have a mast wen you gt it. I think the bottom plate must be with the missing mast. If you try to set up a mast on top of the fiberglass deck you are in for problems.
Why not go to a place that sells metal and ask for something that fits. (I think that a piece of 4x6 U channel will work.) Measure the space to be sure.
I'm planning to make my mast rotate but am cheap. So I was planning to use 4x6 box tube to attach my mast to and that to the deck. Much in the same way the factory does theirs, just different. It will still raise up using the back holes of the deck plates and lock in the front as well.
Here is the idea I have and a picture of Roril's before installation.

Attachments

Aug 7, 2011
F41...I thought of that too, but realized that I didn't have a good solution for the non-rotating spreader-bar bracket attachment thingy...figured it would take too much effort to try to duplicate that arrangement...interested to know what you plan to do for that part.

Nov 23, 2011
I haven't figured that out yet. Actually haven't spent any time trying to either. Been sailing... I plan to look at other rotating mast boats this summer, get ideas, and decide if it's worth it to build one or just get the whole kit from MacGregor.
Does anyone know what the cost is for the kit?

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
Hey Mac and Cheese. Your boat would have came with a bottom plate on tha mast. If I recall your boat didn't have a mast wen you gt it. I think the bottom plate must be with the missing mast. If you try to set up a mast on top of the fiberglass deck you are in for problems.
Why not go to a place that sells metal and ask for something that fits. (I think that a piece of 4x6 U channel will work.) Measure the space to be sure.
I'm planning to make my mast rotate but am cheap. So I was planning to use 4x6 box tube to attach my mast to and that to the deck. Much in the same way the factory does theirs, just different. It will still raise up using the back holes of the deck plates and lock in the front as well.
Here is the idea I have and a picture of Roril's before installation.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2011
F41, I didn't check around, but the individual components from BWYachts add up to around $260... The spreader piece shows to be $144 and the rotating base part is $66, the two hounds on top of that at ~$25 and ~$30... Doesn't include any cable changes. They might offer a discounted kit price (or maybe that way from Mike Inmon) - don't know.

MnC - this is what mine looks like.

Nov 23, 2011
No problem Mac. Mine looks the same as Viz.
Here is a good opportunity to illustrate what I was thinking.
Have a base plate made up that fits on the bottom of the foot (above) and bolts onto the deck attachment with the rear mast raising bolt. The mast foot will rotate on the block with the aid of a thin washer or bearing. They would be bolted together at the piviot point. (above: the hole must be made smaller.) All one needs is a block of aluminum or a piece of rectangular tube to fit the foot area.
Well then the spreader things and new holes in the mast for rigging......or new rigging.

Aug 7, 2011
f41 - if you go to the Page 2 of this thread, the very last post, you'll see where Bob (r.oril) posted pictures of the Mac rotating mast components...the base you are talking about is there, as is the spreader attachment bracket and all of that hardware...those four pieces he has shown on the table are the four items I referred to in my last post about the costs...
I toyed with the idea of building the base mount myself, but came to the same conclusion about the spreaders...kinda special and not something I'd want to muckity-muck, if you know what I mean.

Nov 23, 2011
Viz; At those prices ($260) I think its worth it.
I was just thinking about new spreaders and such as an extra cost but not necessarily so.
Here is why I don't think one may not need new stays etc:
The rotating mast piece raises the mast up 1 1/4" if that much. You will notice that the shrouds and stays all have an extra toggle or swag type thing (what is it called?) This lengthens your rigging the needed ammount. Any other lengthening can be made up by the tuning apparatus on each stay/ shroud bottom.
Here is the disclaimer. Seeing that the MacGregor 26D was made between 1986 and 1989 it is probably wise to get new rigging. I'll be looking closely at mine as I always do when I haul out. I had a knowledgeable member of our yacht club take a look at it with me before I launched this spring.

Aug 7, 2011
:eek: Wha'??? I thought you just finished it!! After all that hard work???:cry:

Sep 3, 2012
macgregor 26D Whiskeytown
Hey Wes,
Like to talk w/ you on your upgrades, I live here in Redding.I should of bought your boat, now I have to build one.
Thanks,
Blaine

Status
Not open for further replies.