23.5 companionway boards .

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
I need a set of companionway boards for our 94 23.5 . Carissa from the store here gave me the name of a source /cruisingconcepts.com . I was quoted $695.00 for a set . Does anyone have an alternative that might leave me some dollars for boat wax ? A few years ago I bought a set from this site for our h23 and they were considerably less . I had to modify them with my table saw when I got them but they were close and a good product for the price . .

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Are They Made Out of Unicorn Fur?

There is not that much to them why on earth would they cost so much?

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
There is not that much to them why on earth would they cost so much?
I ask that very question and he said cost of teak and time . I made a set at one time for your h23 before buying a set here . I guess I can do it again if necessary . I thought some would make a set and sell them as many of these boats as there are . He said if I wanted them made out of starboard he would knock off $ 75.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
I looked at his website .What he makes is a very nice set of teak doors on hinges to replace standard pin boards . Not what I am looking for . I thought I had been clear with him .

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
and how high and how long is the longest board

regards

woody
The boat is several miles away in storage , I can measure and get back to you . Estimating roughly I would guess It is about 36 -42 tall , 40 wide at top and 32 at the bottom . This is using the wag method .

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
thats about 12 board ft @$20.00 a board ft = 240 just for material ... labor should be about $ 150.00 to $300.00....

regards

woody

Jun 2, 2004
Just Measured Mine

The opening is:

31 1/2 wide at the top
21 1/4 along the sides
21 tall
28 1/2 wide at the bottom

There are three "boards" 1/2" thick the middle one is actually plexiglass or something similar

Top Board
31 1/2 wide at the top
6 1/4 tall
30 1/2 wide at the bottom

Middle Board
30 5/8 wide at the top
9 1/4 tall
29 1/2 wide at the bottom

Bottom Board
29 1/4 wide at the top
6 3/8 tall
28 1/2 wide at the bottom

The heights of the boards add up to more than the total because they are cut on an angle so that water sheds off of the top board onto the bottom one.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
ok that works out to about 6 bf at 20.00 x 2 = $120 for material and still $150.00 up to $300.00 but lets just say $200.00 labor for a total of $325.00 plus shipping from where ever it is made to your location prolly about 35 to 50 dollats that is about $375.00 and that should do it.....

regards

woody

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Re: Just Measured Mine

Rick , Thanks a lot . I am going to use your measurments and make a templet out of 1/4luan or similiar and when it fits use that to make the boards . Other than storage is there any reason this could not be two boards instead of three . I am guessing the middle plastic is to let in light . If seems like with all of the other ports theres is plenty of light in the cabin without the need for the compaionway to be another source . Again I really appreciate it , Mike

Jun 2, 2004
No Reason is Has to be Three

It could be two or it could be four. Nothing magical about three.

Some guys have made the whole thing out of plexi.

I redid mine and my biggest problem was finding 1/2" boards. Found a guy who had some scrap pieces that he planed down to 1/2". I let him make them for me as I do not have a planer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
mmsailor;

check your email on epoxy choice. As for the boards, whatever you do, make sure the edges of the boards are at 45% angles upwards to deflect water as many forget that little item.

Logging nearly complete with a 330 degree views of mountains. Foundation will begin when weather cooperates and with a foot of snow going to fall there tonight, that will delay even further. However, I can do a farm tap into a transmission natural gas line behind where the house will go and have decided on gas back up heat below 40 with a NG generator to run the house in the event electrical should go out. With cable and satellite, I guess I will be snug in a rug at all times.

crazy dave but when it comes to the house, smart dave

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Sapele is a good alternative and looks like teak, supposed to be great for outdoor use and about 1/3 the price of teak.
Mahogany is another great exterior boat lumber and a little less $$ than sapele.
Plexi will give lot's of light below, eventually get some scratches (can be polished out) and is strong and durable and will last forever with no sanding and varnishing.
One of the forum members, I think Capt. Ron (30 Catalina) made his boards out of PVC lumber, look good, cheap, light and no maintenance.
Yeah here's the link (msg #7): http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1028051&highlight=Capt. Ron
I've done all my topside trim with PVC lumber except crib boards and it still looks great, in 2011 the lumber costs me about $180 with tax and delivery.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Here is a companionway board I made for our H-22. Companionway boards without louvres would be easier. If you are interested in something similar for your boat let me know.

Attachments

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Here is a companionway board I made for our H-22. Companionway boards without louvres would be easier. If you are interested in something similar for your boat let me know.
Those look great , I am thinking of making something simple this year because of other things the boat needs , jib/ new bottom paint ,etc etc . Next year I may have something nicer done . Budgets and priorities/ bummer , ,

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Why not just make a set out of marine plywood and lacquer at a cost under $100 and five years from now make another if needed?