23.5 companionway boards .

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Unless you "must have" the wood look, you would be better off making it out of AZEEK board. It comes in lumber widths and lengths and is ultra strong. You can shape it with a router, a plane or sandpaper. Natural color is white. I made a split unit, putting in a port window which has a screen in the upper unit. naturally you'll have to shape the butting edges to make the water run off. Its cheaper and lighter than Starboard.

Dec 8, 2011
Hunter 23.5 New Orleans
Just finished the third coat of varnish on new crib boards for my 23.5. I priced marine ply and concluded the better choice was birch faced plywood at Lowes. Some walnut stain and three coast of varnish later...they look pretty great. I put four coats on the plywood edges, hopefully to seal out moisture and delamination.

This is not hard. As suggested by Dave, be sure the mating edges are beveled. This will happen automatically if you cut the two boards from a single sheet of plywood with your jig saw set at a 45 degree angle.

Best wishes

Hugh

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Also Hugh pointed out multiple coats and sealing the edges is also recommended. Thank you Hugh for that information. Maybe 5-6 coats if time permits but lightly sand between coats.

crazy dave

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I replaced the plywood boards on my 23.5 with some cypress tongue and groove boards. I think the boards are 6" wide and 4 boards were an easy fit. They're about 5/8" thick and i had to route the edge to fit in the slides. I cut the boards tongue side up so they seal very well. Cypress is a durable wood and cheap compared to high quality plywood. I doubt the wood cost me $20 even, but there is a cypress mill in my town.