2020 haul out.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
2020 includes, of course, Covid-19. Our country is in the midst of a raging spike that we're even feeling here in Maine.

2020 is still all different, onshore at least, so it was nice to have some capable help along in my daughter. She took all the pics, starting with this one; a selfie of her boots.

But it was taken for me to show the dinghy next to ours nearly sunk by the last few rains.

MJ's boat boots. .JPEG

Ours wasn't that full but it took her some bailing (I was waiting on the other side of the harbor).

She threw in this shot of our dinghys painter and the tie off bull rail: Despite it being tied and bailed dry just 5 days before, this gives you a sense of our fall weather(and this side of the dock is protected from the open harbor).

Dinghy painter.JPEG

5'3" and strong, she insisted on rowing me (and taking pics) into the 10-15 SW - gusting to 20 - that had built up a nice steep chop. She nearly made it but didn't resist (too much) when I took over for the last 100 yards(I was glad that was all I had to do!).

T getting a row. .JPEG

As you can see, yesterday was a beautiful fall day in November, and windy. The temperature reached into the mid 60's.

Matt, the travelift operator said, 'as soon as you see the slings dip into the water, drive her in'.

We arrived too early so drove around a bit. Plenty of space but all the fishing boats are still in the water. With most of the rig off, there's not much to deter birds. They own the harbor now.

Driving around. .JPEG

Finally, we saw the slings slowly dip into the water and headed for the alley, with a 15-20 knot tailwind.

I had given a few bursts of reverse out in the harbor to test as to what sort of braking effect we had with the late-season bottom growth on the prop.

We had some (braking), but driving the boat into the slings was more a case of a little backing and filling - while sailing downwind - at about 3 knots, to keep from going broadside.

To add to the challenge (thanks Covid-19), Matt decided I was good enough that we could handle this, without any more hands.

Matt waiting,....JPEG

Mary Jane had four dock lines lead and coiled. But we didn't need them, Matt's hands were on the travel-lift control box and nobody hands to throw the docklines, to.

We came into the slot as slow as possible. Matt, with his hands full and eyes on the bow, already had the slings on their way back up, all around us. My eyes on Matt, he mouthed "whoa" in my direction (we couldn't hear above the wind), to which I yanked the reverse lever.

I felt Matt's grip on the hull, from below. We were 'tied'.

In the slings.JPEG

Unlike spring, there's nothing to do (I'm having my spruce spar pulled on the public landing later in the week).

Mary Jane and I climbed into the dinghy as Xmas rose, and headed for the dinghy dock a couple yards away.

Coming up. .JPEG

For some, seeing your boat come out of the water on a seasonal, brings sadness. For others, there is a feeling of relief. Mary Jane and I fit into the latter group.

Hauled .JPEG

This season threw some curves our way but Covid be damned, we're still sailing.

Done. .JPEG

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I want to know how you manage to get these beautiful pictures and still drive the boat!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have a question about the travel lift. The lift straps are tied together on your lift. I’m curious about the reason for that ??

DC4E37D4-CE7A-4A2B-95BD-1F9ADD719B47.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I have a question about the travel lift. The lift straps are tied together on your lift. I’m curious about the reason for that ??
Good eye. That's very important with a keel like this that, while flat aft, slopes up to the spoon bow. He will adjust the distance between the slings and then tie this line which keeps the forward sling from riding up toward the bow.

I've heard of them going up all the way (and the taking a dive), but never seen it. But I have seen them slip forward until stable. That's a scary split second sight.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The lift straps are tied together on your lift. I’m curious about the reason for that ??
I noticed that too. I good idea if there is any chance of them separating and the forward one slipping off the bow.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the fore strap is on the front curved area of the hull. the tying of the strap is to insure it does not slip forward and drop the boat. i believe that is standard practice for when the fore strap is on a curve area. or stern strap on a upward curved area. depends on the shape of the hull.
easy, simple insurance is all

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tom, do you tip your hoist driver? i always slip mine a case of beer after the boat is put to bed.
my mechanic gets one too.
:cool:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Many boats are much more challenging. I sat on the hill and took several shots of this beautiful shape. What I remember most is that every single (of dozens that day) passerby stopped, changed course to walk over and admire it hanging in the air.
Rockport Marine.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Good eye. That's very important with a keel like this that, while flat aft, slopes up to the spoon bow. He will adjust the distance between the slings and then tie this line which keeps the forward sling from riding up toward the bow.

I've heard of them going up all the way (and the taking a dive), but never seen it. But I have seen them slip forward until stable. That's a scary split second sight.
I thought that might be the reason (of course anyone can say that once they have the answer ;) ) Not a lot of boats here with that type of keel.

I’m guessing Matt has a mental database of all the regular boats and has that all set up before the actual lift. :) Nice to work with pros!

Most of the lifting here in Kingston is done by crane. One travel lift. The first year they had it I watched the operator for several lifts where a few of the boats were coming into the slip a little HOT ;) I knew the operator well so I privately suggested he keep the front strap submerged but high to act as a “stopper”. He sort of grinned and still uses the technique for a few of their customers ;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I noticed that too. I good idea if there is any chance of them separating and the forward one slipping off the bow.
Firm wet strap against slimy slick surface. What could go wrong :yikes: :)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I saw a strap slip on a mast a few days ago. I was working on my boat, hauled out across from the masting crane, when I heard some rather excited voices and colourful French language. I turned around to see a mast crashing down onto the dock next to "Mon Rêve" at the crane. My best guess is the sling slipped and the mast got away from them. No one was hurt and it was just the butt of the mast that hit the dock. The sling go caught up on the upper spreaders. Fortunately no one got under it and it didn't touch the boat. It almost became someone's nightmare ;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One of the yards on Eastern LI dropped a mast and it came inches from killing a worker. Then they dropped the policy that all masts had to come down for the off season.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I saw a strap slip on a mast a few days ago. I was working on my boat, hauled out across from the masting crane, when I heard some rather excited voices and colourful French language. I turned around to see a mast crashing down onto the dock next to "Mon Rêve" at the crane. My best guess is the sling slipped and the mast got away from them. No one was hurt and it was just the butt of the mast that hit the dock. The sling go caught up on the upper spreaders. Fortunately no one got under it and it didn't touch the boat. It almost became someone's nightmare ;)
Glad to hear that there wasn’t any human damage. At one “stage” of my life I ran a crane, pros make it “look” easy but it’s not ;) Requires absolute concentration on ALL aspects of the lift.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We came into the slot as slow as possible. Matt, with his hands full and eyes on the bow, already had the slings on their way back up, all around us. My eyes on Matt, he mouthed "whoa" in my direction (we couldn't hear above the wind), to which I yanked the reverse lever.
Great teamwork! Experienced operators onboard and ashore.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’m getting older and don’t like to winterize when it’s already cold. I used to wait to haul out until early November, as October in southern New England can offer up some of the best sailing conditions. But this year I hauled out in the second week of October, as the desire for comfort prevailed. The boat has been fully winterized and today my wife and I will put on the winter cover.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My marina wants us out by the end of October, or we pay a late haulout fee...so came out on Halloween:cool:

Too bad...the weather has been beautiful since I hauled out...70-degree days ...favorable winds...and no rain...a real bummer :banghead:

The yard guys know I like to be one of the last ones out, and one of the fire tones back in the water on April 1, so they keep a spot for my boat that is easy for them to get to.

Oh well, a few projects to keep me busy for a while over the winter layup...

Greg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I’m getting older and don’t like to winterize when it’s already cold. I used to wait to haul out until early November, as October in southern New England can offer up some of the best sailing conditions. But this year I hauled out in the second week of October, as the desire for comfort prevailed. The boat has been fully winterized and today my wife and I will put on the winter cover.
I used to wait until November to haul out. Loved those crisp, clear New England days for sailing. But I hated motoring to the ramp with the mast laying on crutches and that cold, wet New England rain soaking me to the skin. Now, I am one of the first to haul out. Shorter days and colder nights are my reminders that it is time to winterize the boat and get on a plane back to warm, tropical Maui. Winters here are much kinder to these old bones.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I called in September to get an early haul out and the best they could do was 10/30. Go figure:banghead:We got 4" of snow and 40 knot gusts so we got postponed to the 12th. She is waiting patiently in Scituate harbor for Thursday. Now I'm looking at 20 days on a rented mooring too. Hoping they will be fair with me. I've been depressed and anxious waiting to start a few winter projects. Worst off, they removed a lot of docks early so my dinghy was bouncing off pilings during the storm breaking the painter and was beached. I was out on the beach in 36° with 3' waves and snow trying to rescue her. It wouldn't have happened if I had my towing bridle on her. Nothing damaged except my back.