2020 haul out.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
With more of this, I'll be happy to wait until December! After some fine sailing on Saturday, I was able to anchor for the evening with a cold drink in 75 degree weather for the sunset (at close to 5:00 pm). Sunday was even more pleasant, but no wind.
IMG_3116.jpg

Still many boats out sailing on these beautiful weekends!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
BTW, who recognizes that odd feature just to the north of the setting sun? Hint, it was the first and oldest operating of its kind in the entire US.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
BTW, who recognizes that odd feature just to the north of the setting sun? Hint, it was the first and oldest operating of its kind in the entire US.
Oyster Creek Nuclear. Is it still operational?

Oct 26, 2008
Yes, Oyster Creek. The building & tower does not look that impressively tall when you are close to it. However, when you see it from about 5 miles offshore, it looks more prominent, surprisingly, than Barnegat lighthouse, even though it is almost 6.5 miles further away.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Well @Scott T-Bird , got tied up with other things over the weekend and with the low wind forecasts I waited til today.
Arrived to find 6kts around 11:30. By 1pm it was a steady 10 and I headed out.
It was a beautiful day with winds maxing out around 16. Sailed until the sun was below the horizon.
Now relaxing on the boat with some good Scotch, (thanks Scott) and hoping for some morning winds before I need to head home.

While I was on the water I decided to wait another week before winterizing and haul out. Probably finish up sailing the week of Thanksgiving.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I hauled out October 7th but just put the cover on today. I had a big job to do and the weather has been fantastic. I'm glad I had time to get it done before the Canadian winter kicked in. 21C (70F) and sunny today.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm lucky (and I'm sure this is rare) in that I can usually choose my weather for haul out. October was a bust for sailing. When it was good, we got some sailing in and a few more overnights. When it was bad (most of it), I wasn't too excited about getting ready to haul out in bad weather.

The first good weather window was the first week of November. so I had the boat pulled last week.

And it's been getting better ever since. It can't last forever but it nearly hit 70 today as we pulled the mast out. That's a change for this season (I normally have it pulled and stored inside at haul out) as I need to take the stick to home to wood it. The varnish I built up initially in 2000 after taking it down to bare wood, has served notice (I didn't know as much as I do now so I'm not surprised it only got 20 years).

My daughter was an extra set of hands again. Pulling a mast on the hard is easy, it stays still!

Spar pull.jpg

We walked up to my house and waited for the truck.

Rolling it into the backyard(photo by MJ):

Spar delivery.jpg

This is pretty typical stuff to see in my neighborhood. Sailboat up and over 50' roll around town all day. Spars much longer and heavier than mine go through town on storage yard pick-up trucks with special racks. Most of these loads head yards just out of town but many go into back yards.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lots of overhead power lines to watch out for swinging a mast or two about in the air.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We bailed and hauled the dinghy today. There's enough marine growth for dinner for two.
2020 Dinghy growth.jpg

And put the cover on sailing season 2020.

Cover 2020.jpg