2018 Sun Gypsy cruise

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Well 1954 was before I was a twinkle in my dad’s eye. The history you linked to said Seattle to Victoria and Seattle to Port Townsend and maybe routes with all 3. so maybe from there.

I remember sailing on it in the San Juan’s in very early 60’s.

1951 is when it was sold by black ball to the WSF system. The Coho went into service in 1959 (iirc)
I don’t believe WSF has ever run ferries from PA.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Kalakala ferry
I remember it well Terry. Took a round trip myself in the middle fifties. Seems to me that some naval cadet used it for target practise once while I was in high school. At least I remember the ferry but NOT sure that was the one we took to P.A. Age does play havoc with memory. From high school time it was the Coho I know.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Kalakala made runs between PA and Victoria for several yrs starting summer 1955. Wa state ferries provided the boat for that route due to some other boat issue..

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Mark. I remember all referring to it as "the up side down bathtub ".

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
In 1972, I was 9, we took the ferry from Seattle to Victoria (apparently a city, not an island). I remember it as the largest boat I'd ever been on. It was pretty loud. I made my way up a couple of decks to a dining area and took a booth by a window. Then buried my head in a book. I didn't notice when we docked in Canada and my parents had to make them hold the ferry while they searched the boat for their son.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Will
Do you remember what boat you were on? When we first came to the island Victoria was served by the old C.P.R. boats plus Blackball and Washington State Ferries. Now the Coho (Blackball) does Port Angeles to Victoria, Washington State Ferries run into Sidney (about 20Km North of Victoria) and the B.C. Ferries run into Swartz Bay ( just north of Sidney). A lot less big boat traffic in a small inner harbour.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Once upon a time she was a jewel of a boat. Several years ago I would opine to the family as we headed into Seattle (ugh) observing the Kalakala as she rested in her Lake Union slip awaiting her next fate, with a derelict and despair appearance.

Jan 5, 2017
Still waiting for our injector pump, but in the meantime........
Last winter ( IIRC) John (jssailem) posted a pic from Port Browning showing a hill on my island. Today I climbed the hill (by car ) and took a pic. looking back.warburton pike.jpg The powerboat is headed into Port Browning.
warburton pike 2.jpg South end of South Pender, Turn Point. Stuart Island in the middle distance, Sidney in the distance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very nice images.

I am here in Annapolis for the opening day of the US Sail Boat Show. Not too many folk. Hot humid weather. Lots of boats, vendors, and cruise marketers. Met with Tom Tursi of the Maryland Sailing School. Nice guy.

Jan 5, 2017
Been watching your trip blog John. Hope you guys are having fun. You are missing some great fall sailing weather back here.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Keep the weather beautiful. There needs to be more sailing to squeeze out before we let winter take possession of the sound.

Jan 5, 2017
Keep the weather beautiful.
Couple of gales waiting off the west coast. I'll try to hold them back! I'd like a nice weather window to bring the boat home from Ucluelet so I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

Jan 5, 2017
Sun Gypsy was finally ready to come home Oct 10 so a quick bus ride ( 5 hrs.) Bev and I were back in Ucluelet. Weather looked good so we headed for Dodger Channel for the night ready for an early start to Port Renfrew.Cape Beale.jpg CB3.jpg Cape Beale at sunrise.
Jaun de Fuca.jpg Perfect weather window for a smooth ride into the western end of Juan de Fuca.

Jan 5, 2017
The Mill Bay Groups new marina is a great stop midway to Victoria. Not very busy at this time of year.PR 2.jpg PR 3.jpg WN3.jpg Anchored behind Woods Nose ready for an early start.