2013 Great Pumpkin Regatta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2010
Catalina 310 RYC, Richmond CA
Participated in the Great Pumpkin Regatta this past Sunday. I was expecting 10-15 knots of wind, and was surprised with 25-30 knots!

So my question...when do you reef?

Attachments

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
The Admiral has requested that we tuck in a mainsail reef at 15 -20 kts apparent. I also believe that our hull shape sails faster at less angle of heel.

Oct 31, 2010
We also reef at 15. Sometimes closer to 20, depending on the point of sail.

Have you (or anyone...) ever sailed in bigger wind under jib alone? How's the boat handling?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Sea condition and how clean your bottom is play a roll. Flat and clean=less drag, more speed then she can carry more cloth. Sail shape and point of sail also factor in. So short answer, it just depends.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The max wind we have sailed in is 35 kts with gusts into the 40s. In those conditions we had the second reef in the mainsail and very little headsail. To be honest we wished we had a 3rd reef and will probably add one before we head out cruising.

We generally will tuck the first reef in between 15-20 kts of wind. The second usually goes in once is hits 25 kts. I don't really like the sail shape with the 2nd reef and avoid using it. I think it could be improved with some tie downs in the middle of the sail to tighten up the foot. The Dutchman seems to get in the way too and has to be loosened.

I think I would like a slightly smaller headsail. Maybe a 110 with a high cut for better visibility. We don't race, just cruise, so some comfort over speed would be fine with us.

We have sailed with just the headsail. Mainly out of laziness. She has a lot of weather helm and doesn't point well at all. We only do it for short sails like going for a sunset sail.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Your second reef point, did that come with your sail or did you add it? Anyone know where the 2nd reef point is located. (dimension up from the boom?) My factory sail only has one reef and I have needed a 2nd a number of times.

Oct 31, 2010
If I recall correctly my second reef point is about the same distance from my first, as my first is from the boom. I'm going to go and install my newer mainsail this weekend. I will try and measure it. We probably should have reefed to the second reef point when we were seeing gusts above 30. I had the jib furled all the way in and the main at the first reef. The boat was heeled at about 25 degrees. Didn't feel unsafe. Just slow. I think next time I'll put in a the second reef and let out a little head sail and try and keep the boat on it's feet more. Maybe then I'll pick up a few knots...

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
We have sailed with genoa (reefed 150) only in 30 kts on a beam reach in 4 ft seas for several hours in the rain on the same tack. Running about 6 kts. Admiral and 1 crew under dodger, captain in foulies, pfd and clipped on. Auto pilot did a great job. No, I did not go out in this - we were on a 35 mile passage and the crap came up about the half-way point. Really glad we did not have to tame the main during all that - or as a friend says "the 8 minutes of terror". Seem to be sailing more and more with genny only.

Oct 31, 2010
One of the reasons I'm curious about sailing with the head sail only is we were sailing with the reefed main only on a broad reach in quartering seas of about 3 to 4 feet in 25 knots. And if I wasn't paying attention, the boat would round up fairly quickly. I was curious about just using the head sail and wondered if the boat would handle better being "pulled" through the wind rather than "pushed"

I was sometimes a little white knuckley... seeing 8.5 knots boat speed was petty cool though.

Bob - what was your experience with the head sail only? Bad weather or lee helm? Fin or wing?

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
One of the reasons I'm curious about sailing with the head sail only is we were sailing with the reefed main only on a broad reach in quartering seas of about 3 to 4 feet in 25 knots. And if I wasn't paying attention, the boat would round up fairly quickly. I was curious about just using the head sail and wondered if the boat would handle better being "pulled" through the wind rather than "pushed"

I was sometimes a little white knuckley... seeing 8.5 knots boat speed was petty cool though.

Bob - what was your experience with the head sail only? Bad weather or lee helm? Fin or wing?
I have found that sailing in 15-20 kts with the 135 genoa only makes the boat unbalanced and tends to round up. This can be reduced by rolling in the genny some, but I think a reefed main and reefed genny makes the boat a little better balance, especially in a following sea.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have found that sailing in 15-20 kts with the 135 genoa only makes the boat unbalanced and tends to round up. This can be reduced by rolling in the genny some, but I think a reefed main and reefed genny makes the boat a little better balance, especially in a following sea.
I agree. I also wonder about the seas. Michael said it was 3-4 foot quartering. Those are probably the worst type of seas in boats of this design (i.e. with the wide, flat stern). I would venture a guess that some of the rounding feeling may have been related to the seas. We had one of those days earlier this year sailing between Isle of Shoals and Cape Anne. It was definitely white knuckle sailing.

We have the wing keel, in case that also has some bearing.

Oct 31, 2010
yeah, I agree, quartering seas are tough in this boat. Just thinking that I could have balanced the helm a little better to help prevent spilling our wine :)

Also, we are a fin keel.

Oct 31, 2010
LOL ... yeah, very true. I was just comparing it to my Ranger 23 which seemed to handle it a little better. ....R23 a very different boat.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Anyone here use a furling main. I'm fairly new with this and wondered if there is a marking system for reefing. Catalina 310 2003

Cheers
Irish Rogue

PS. I meant a furling not reefing main.:eek:

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I have a furling main. I tend to reef around 18 knots. First reef for me is roll in about 3' from the end of the boom. Second reef goes in around 25 knots and that is rolled in about 6' from the end of the boom. I have marks on my boom put on by the original owner and I just use them. Have not actually measured their location so those distances are guesses as I sit here at my house.

I also have 135% Genoa. Roll in about 3-4 feet for first reef and 7-8 feet for second reef. I have marks on my genoa car track for moving the genoa car lead forward as I reef.

Crossed Mobile Bay a few weeks ago enroute to the Gulf Coast Catalina Cruisers Fall Get-Together with winds out of the North at 22+ (frequently hit 25-26) and 5-6' waves (on the beam) and in rain. Had double reef equivalent rolled in and maintained about 6 knots during the 3-hour crossing.

The main I had on for the first 18 months worked great and was very easy to furl and unfurl. However, I just got a new main last week and am now having much difficulty when I furl and unfurl. Just won't roll up or unroll smoothly. Working with the sail loft on this. Next bit of advice is to loosen the halyard for decreased luff tension. Will be giving it a try tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.