2004 Hunter 41 Seldon Rodkicker fix

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Turns out the unit I have, which I believe was stock on this model is missing some "innards" The manual I have on the boat says Rodkicker 10/20/30, and I can't tell which one I have - important as the replacement parts are different There are no markings on the unit to help. Anyone have any experience with this ? On the manual the missing pieces are the gas culinder, spacing tube and most importantly the end plug (part "6")

Can anyone help with this ?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interesting thread on same subject: Rodkicker Issue | Sailboat Owners Forums. Long shot.......have you measured your Rodkicker and looked up the model 10, 20 or 30 in the catalog against those measurements to conform the model? Should be a 20 based on this link Parts selection : Seldén Mast AB (seldenmast.com). Then suggest contacting a Rodkicker dealer for the parts 5, 6 and 7........5 - gas cylinder, 6 - end plug and 7 - spacing tube.

1633991737719.png

%5 -

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The "guts" were an option for the boat, there should be serial numbers on both tubes, parts are still available. There's also a long, hand etched number on the underneath side of the boom, near the mast

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 2004 41ac. No gas tube in it. The boom rests on it fully compressed and keeps it off the arch when no sail is out..

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
thanks all - indeed, a Rodkicker 20 with the hard spring. Seldon recommends the 308-073-05 kit - pretty pricey. I read somewhere there may be alternative suppliers for gas cylinder, one is MasterCarr, but we can't find the correct replacement

Any other suppliers, ideas, information ? Maybe 'll just run the topping lift line aft and use it ?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Added a Rodkicker 10 to my 2009 H36 and like it a lot. I can use my topping lift for all sorts of other things now, and my vang adjusts with one line now, not two (e.g. to lock the vang into place without a Rodkicker you have to set the topping lift AND the vang to pull up and down respectively). But i probably would've reconsidered if my cost had been north of $500 like yours - my boat only needed the 10, which is half the price.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Added a Rodkicker 10 to my 2009 H36 and like it a lot. I can use my topping lift for all sorts of other things now, and my vang adjusts with one line now, not two (e.g. to lock the vang into place without a Rodkicker you have to set the topping lift AND the vang to pull up and down respectively). But i probably would've reconsidered if my cost had been north of $500 like yours - my boat only needed the 10, which is half the price.
May I ask which spring you ordered with yours? I've been wanting to add one to our 356 conventional rig.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
May I ask which spring you ordered with yours? I've been wanting to add one to our 356 conventional rig.
Happy to help. I ordered the Selden Gas Spring Kit (RodKicker 10/Hard). All in it was $188.81. SBO actually sells them at a competitive price. Write them if you can't find it on the site - they're very responsive. I corresponded with Selden to find out the right one for my boat (yours is likely the same - but see below). Here was the advice I ran across to work with them:

"Call Selden Customer Service directly (877-240-VELA (8352). Give them the serial numbers of your boom and mast and they will tell you exactly which gas spring to get for your particular rig. Serial number of your mast is engraved at the foot of the mast. SN of the boom is on the underside of the boom next to the gooseneck fitting. Don't try to guess hard, regular etc. They know from the SNs whether you have a classic or furling rig etc. They will sell you a piston directly at full price, or, you can order the part number they give you, through a dealer. Very easy install."

Good luck!